Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

TazCrystal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jun 2019, 9:39 pm

I feel anxious a lot. When I rock back and forth I feel better. I really like to do it. I do it a lot. I especially like to do it sitting in a rocking chair.

My mom said that when I was a baby I would cry a lot and I would stop crying when I got to rock back and forth while sitting up on the bed. When I was little I also used to calm down after meltdowns by rocking on the rocking chair or being held while on the rocking chair. That sometimes happened at school and it ended when I was 9. I also would rock back and forth at school up until grade 12. It makes me feel balanced for some reason

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jun 2019, 12:13 am

I still rock back and forth a lot, though not as much as I used to as a teen. It does feel much more calming.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 12:50 am

When I'm sitting I'm rocking back and forth.
When I'm standing I'm swaying back and forth.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 4:49 am

Nah, I tried it once and it made me nauseas.

The most soothing stim (and the only stim) I do is shaking one of my legs while crossing them. This is a more socially accepted stim, as I've seen NTs do this too.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 9:54 am

I rock all the time, it feels amazing and my thoughts get all tied up if I don't

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 9:57 am

TazCrystal wrote:
I feel anxious a lot. When I rock back and forth I feel better. I really like to do it. I do it a lot. I especially like to do it sitting in a rocking chair...
Sometimes, on cold and rainy days, I'll go down to the park when no one else is around and rock back and forth on one of those spring-mounted kiddie horses.

:oops: Oh, how I wish it would rain...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

zeitgeistbuster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2019, 1:37 pm

I play the acoustic guitar, and sometimes when I do I rock back and forth and it is so deeply calming. Like a soul massage.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 2:05 pm

Same here - I've only had a rocking chair for a couple of years, but I wouldn't want to be without it now.

Fnord wrote:
Sometimes, on cold and rainy days, I'll go down to the park when no one else is around and rock back and forth on one of those spring-mounted kiddie horses.

I often cast a jealous glance at the local kiddie's "rec" myself. I make do with the rope-swings in the local woods; though it seems that many of the local children have a rather better head for heights than I do! :lol:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 9:19 am

Like Joe90, I get sick to my stomach if I rock back and forth. It makes me more agitated.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 4:31 pm

Rocking feels refreshing to me, when I need it. Though, I don't do it much...and prefer where I'm sitting to not make noise as I move.

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2019, 5:35 am

I am guilty of rocking, and skipping. It's hard to explain why, but I have a certain need to do it. I restrain myself from doing it in public but there have been times when I was caught swaying.

It can be out of an underlying anxiety, or extreme emotions that I need to get out somehow. I may not even be 100% conscious of it when I'm doing it.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Autistic_vegan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jun 2019, 5:34 am

I'm a big rocker. I've been rocking since I was a kid and I don't plan to stop any time soon. I don't care what others think, so I rock when I am out and about too

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 5:48 am

i rock when i get stressed, no matter who looks. if they don't like it they can go suck eggs.