Anyone else surprised by their ASD "level" diagnosis?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MC1729
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2019, 1:09 am

So I was diagnosed with autism/Asperger's a few months ago (I was diagnosed after all PDDs were grouped into ASD, but the clinician said it would have been Asperger's by the previous DSM), but I just got the full report on all my mental conditions (I was diagnosed after a battery of extensive psychological testing) and learned I was diagnosed with ASD Level 2 instead of 1... I am pretty high functioning, and thought that ASD levels were the same as levels of functioning (e.g. Level 1 was more Asperger's/HFA, Level 2 was more moderate, and Level 3 was low-functioning/"classical" autism), but I guess I am wrong. From what I gathered on the report, Level 2 means "requiring substantial support", and I do need support when it comes to functioning in school and living independently, and I had some support in elementary and middle school when it came to speech and social skills (even though I was undiagnosed in terms of autism). But I guess I just thought Level 2 meant moderate autistic disorder when I'm more in the Asperger's category, but it seems to be more dependent on how much support you need. So hypothetically, you could fall into the Asperger's range but be Level 3, though not really the other way around. I think this is why it's important to defer to the professionals and be cautious about diagnosing yourself, because in the end the professionals know more than you when it comes to diagnosis (for the most part, I was misdiagnosed as bipolar when I am very clearly not bipolar), even though you know yourself best. I am not a professional by any means, just a psychology student, so I definitely don't know everything about autism diagnosis (though it is one of my special interests).

AQ Score: 46 out of 50

EQ Score: 5 out of 80

RDOS Score: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 145 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 51 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 1:49 am

I would have been Level 3 in my toddler years.

Probably Level 1 now.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 4:12 am

I'm curious as to what is seen as 'substantial support' . How is that defined? I'm in the UK where currently we don't have such levels .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 4:14 am

I would say that “substantial support” means that the presence of somebody other than yourself is required for a considerable part of your waking day.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 4:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would say that “substantial support” means that the presence of somebody other than yourself is required for a considerable part of your waking day.

I don't fit that , but the truth is without the support I do get I'd have great difficulty maintaining a healthy level of independence . When I wasn't getting the support I was basically self neglecting , although if someone had told me at the time I'd have said "Don't be silly" .

Thrown into the mix with me are probable dyspraxia,probable learning difficulty and schizophrenia . My practical skills are far from good . The thing I'm best at is managing my money, in that , although my spending does fluctuate, I 'm not in any debt .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 9:07 am

You certainly need “support.”

You may or many not need “substantial support.”

I sense you’re in between requiring “little” and “substantial” support.

But at least you’ve got your stepdaughter.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 9:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You certainly need “support.”

You may or many not need “substantial support.”

I sense you’re in between requiring “little” and “substantial” support.

But at least you’ve got your stepdaughter.

My stepdaughter has been top of the class in supporting me and getting it recognised that I need support.
Speaking purely from a UK perspective , as someone with a chronic and severe mental illness, help is thin on the ground
, and very dependent on family advocating for you, if you are non acute in terms of symptoms . Providing such support was very difficult when we lived about 3-3.5 hours away from each other.

I had family and stepfamily closer than that , but details of the support they gave could be written on a postage stamp.

I don't know how different the situation is in the USA and elsewhere .

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 9:25 am

I don't know what number I'd be given but I was surprised when I was told I placed at the middle of what would have previously been called Aspergers. Yes, I do have difficulties but at the time I thought I was going to be borderline. Although, now that the years have passed I can see I am missing things but it still stumps me as I thought I'd have to be worse to be in the middle.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 9:31 am

For people who don’t have “visible” disabilities, I would say the situation is similar to what is found in the UK. Maybe even a bit worse.

One cannot get benefits if one is “only” diagnosed with Aspergers or Autism, Level One. Another diagnosis would have to be used as a “supplement” to the Aspergian or autistic one diagnosis. Like Bipolar, for example.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 9:43 am

Quote:
The assessment

In a survey by the Disability Benefits Consortium in November 2017, 68% of respondents with autism said PIP assessors did not understand their disability and 80% said the assessment made their health worse because of the stress or anxiety it caused.

https://www.communitycare.co.uk/2018/03 ... n-process/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 9:46 am

I’m not surprised.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 10:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

That would be significant support, which is where I am at.

Substantial support means needing to have most everything done for you.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 10:22 am

firemonkey wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I don't fit that , but the truth is without the support I do get I'd have great difficulty maintaining a healthy level of independence . When I wasn't getting the support I was basically self neglecting , although if someone had told me at the time I'd have said "Don't be silly" .

Thrown into the mix with me are probable dyspraxia,probable learning difficulty and schizophrenia . My practical skills are far from good . The thing I'm best at is managing my money, in that , although my spending does fluctuate, I 'm not in any debt .

That is just known as needing support.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 10:24 am

Level 3 requires “very substantial” support. Level 2 requires “substantial” support—per the DSM-V.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 10:31 am

MC1729 wrote:
So I was diagnosed with autism/Asperger's a few months ago (I was diagnosed after all PDDs were grouped into ASD, but the clinician said it would have been Asperger's by the previous DSM), but I just got the full report on all my mental conditions (I was diagnosed after a battery of extensive psychological testing) and learned I was diagnosed with ASD Level 2 instead of 1... I am pretty high functioning, and thought that ASD levels were the same as levels of functioning (e.g. Level 1 was more Asperger's/HFA, Level 2 was more moderate, and Level 3 was low-functioning/"classical" autism), but I guess I am wrong. From what I gathered on the report, Level 2 means "requiring substantial support", and I do need support when it comes to functioning in school and living independently, and I had some support in elementary and middle school when it came to speech and social skills (even though I was undiagnosed in terms of autism). But I guess I just thought Level 2 meant moderate autistic disorder when I'm more in the Asperger's category, but it seems to be more dependent on how much support you need. So hypothetically, you could fall into the Asperger's range but be Level 3, though not really the other way around. I think this is why it's important to defer to the professionals and be cautious about diagnosing yourself, because in the end the professionals know more than you when it comes to diagnosis (for the most part, I was misdiagnosed as bipolar when I am very clearly not bipolar), even though you know yourself best. I am not a professional by any means, just a psychology student, so I definitely don't know everything about autism diagnosis (though it is one of my special interests).

Yeah basically if you can not live independently then it falls under significant support. There are other things that lend towards level 2 though. Maybe stuff you do not pick up on, but they did. Sometimes people with autism are not good at assessing themselves in regard to how they are viewed by others, especially professionals. I have traits that I am not self aware of, but others are aware of them.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 10:34 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Level 3 requires “very substantial” support. Level 2 requires “substantial” support—per the DSM-V.

Ah okay. Got the terminology wrong. I hear significant support a lot as in me being significant special needs.