Would you work remotely if you could?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

arikmarmorstein1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Feb 2020, 7:04 am

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a freelancers platform for autistic and aspies and was wondering what are your thoughts about working remotely? If this is something you would want, why aren't you using sites like Upwork or Fiverr?

Thanks for your answers,

Arik

JohnInWales
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2020, 8:31 am

I started working remotely in 1988, long before the internet and online services were available! It was all done down a phone line using dial-up modems, and a bulletin board running on one of my computers. In 2003 I was involved in starting a business where I worked from home using a VPN. I haven't had a "proper" job sitting in an office since I was 30! I haven't been able to work for some years, but have been conventionally unemployable for so long that I don't think I could stand any work that wasn't remote for very long. I'd have to get up early, make myself presentable and get there by a certain time every day. Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh!! !! !! !! !!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 4:48 pm

arikmarmorstein1 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a freelancers platform for autistic and aspies and was wondering what are your thoughts about working remotely? If this is something you would want, why aren't you using sites like Upwork or Fiverr?

Thanks for your answers,

Arik

Not 100% sure what that is, is it like working from home? If so than I probably wouldn't mind something like that but no idea how to get such a job. And never heard of Upwork or Fiverr....are those like websites where one could potentially find such work? It would be nice to make some $$ without even leaving my apartment.

GameCube
Raven
Raven

12 Feb 2020, 12:12 am

Your idea for a new online freelance platform sounds amazing!

I have recently hidden myself on Fiverr and I have considered closing my account. My reasons for disliking Fiverr:

-their rating system

-the complaints on BBB

-too many users who steal work from others

-no option to decline or accept gig once it has been requested by a buyer

-when any edits are made to a gig, its visibility is decreased

I hope this information helps. I'm really interested to see how your project goes :D

HoneyBunnySunny
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2020, 3:50 pm

Yes in a heartbeat. People have asked for my 3d models before I thought about selling them but I'm not confident enough.

I would love not to be judge every time I walked into my job having people look at me like i'm freak everyday is very tiring.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 3:57 pm

I've done so on and off - the main problem is that I struggle to self-regulate and work twice as many hours 8O

summersky
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Feb 2020, 8:06 am

Yes I would work remotely in a heartbeat. Everyday at work I feel like a freak because it is so obvious something is off about me and it makes me feel horrible. I always give 110 percent and am always kind and pleasant to my co-workers and customers but somehow I never get promoted or appreciated. My social awkwardness is always perceived as me being slow intellectually I believe. Many times at work I get the cry reflex that I suppress. And there is always the sadistic co-workers who pull microaggressions on me all day because of my shyness and tumid nature... I am almost 49 and its getting so old existing like this.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 3:45 pm

A couple of years ago I worked telecommute at bzzagent as a Communication Contractor

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2020, 7:46 pm

I'd be open to working remotely, yes, and I have done so partially in the past if the job allows for it - especially if the time schedule is flexible. Though, i'd still be somewhat more fond of having to go to an office at least sometimes - so I could get out of the house just a bit.

I've done jobs on Upwork and Fiverr in the past as a translator and a programmer - however there's not enough profit in it for me compared with the cost of living where I live. In short, too much work for too little payout most of the time...
Apart from the work, i'd also have to sort things out with taxes and having to start a company - so even with a 40-50 hour work week with semi-good jobs, plus the time i'd have to use on sorting out the economics, i'd still struggle to make ends meet properly.

Now, in the end, i'm not opposed to these platforms - however, i'm basically unable to compete on such a platform because of the economic overhead (taxes etc.).... especially if people from "cheaper" countries (eg. India) join in on the fun. They'll be able to do the same amount of work for half or a third of the price...

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 9:12 pm

I would love to work remotely. In my field of insurance and finance there are work at home companies who specialize in employing retired office workers in the field that are bored out of their minds at home. Based on age I would qualify working for such an outfit. The only problems are no health insurance since you're an independent contractor and the pay is crappy. I could see how it would be appealing for someone in their 60s or older with other financial means to supplement.

Otherwise I don't have any skills like IT, tech, design, etc that would lend itself to working from home and I only want to work 32 hours per week.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 9:28 pm

A major benefit of working where I do is health insurance. And having an HR person to help me out.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 9:40 pm

I have been self-employed for 20 years, and running a very small business with several people who work for me, for 10 of those years. About half of my work is in my home office and about half is seeing people at home, school work. I set my own schedule, which is critical to me being able to work. I was miserable when employed by others. My work is not something that lends itself to the platforms you mention, but I have contract for work through similar platforms.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 1:47 am

i always saw that only for geniuses, regular working class blokes like me are blocked from that.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 6:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i always saw that only for geniuses, regular working class blokes like me are blocked from that.

One doesn't have to be a genius.

1. Find clients (or they find you)
2. Do work
3. Email work to client
4. Client sends money

A person could do art or data entry, stuff that doesn't require "genius."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 1:09 am

art requires talent to even start with it. data entry requires an un-addled brain that doesn't dyslexify data catastrophically. of the 1-4 list you kindly provided, i have had the most troubles with#1 and #4. the rest, comparatively, are a piece of cake - without sugar, icing or even baking powder. i guess what i'm saying is that genius is relative, and to one staring up at the children of greater gods from rock bottom and with not a clue as to how to ascend to join them, it all seems like genius.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2020, 4:29 pm

I already do, using Upwork. The only way I can pay for living. :?