Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

pency
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2020, 6:51 am

hello
is there literature on asd & eating disorders?
(of all kinds: binge, anorexia, orthorexia, bulimia)

is this common and have others here experienced any/all?

any sharing is most welcome.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 5:43 pm

I'm not sure if there is literature available on these things. I mean, there probably is but I don't have any links to offer you. Sorry. Hopefully someone else will.

That said... I've never been diagnosed with an eating disorder. I had more pressing issues going on when the therapist had began asking me about my eating habits...I never bothered to follow through with a dx. If I were to be diagnosed with one though, it would be ARFID, though my concerns over getting sick have knocked me close to the ortho camp on more than one occasion. Food and I have a dysfunctional relationship.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 5:43 pm

Such conditions do happen along with autism, and sometimes with a different root cause compared to when it may happen with a typical neurology. It is possible that sensory matters can play a very significant part in the development of an eating disorder

The Tuke Centre at The Retreat, York has made two lectures public on the subject, one an account from the point of view of a professional and one a first person account.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvPRuW9s48U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pz-vAQ8KlI

Gangstalking Is Real
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Dec 2020, 8:29 pm

For me my eating relates to things like stress and anxiety, so if ASD causes me to be more anxious - and I think it does, then there's a relation in my case because the anxiety should be minimal but it's not.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 10:27 pm

I love food and I tend to overeat. I love to eat and it shows.

EricHudson
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2020, 6:06 am

One of my friends had an anorexia. I can say it's disaster disease. We should always remember that everything begins from our mind.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 2:01 pm

Not really related to eating disorders but i have this theory that autistic people often eat to much or to little because of sensory issues and feeling hunger.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 2:17 pm

Overeating likely quiet common among people with ASD who are also usually on medications that increase appetite.

A friend of mine, a very beautiful young woman, has or at least had anorexia.
I told her to relax about her weight, as she being too thin isn't attractive anyway, and
that instead of counting calories (like anorexics usually do), she should do the opposite.

I told her to eat cheese and cakes. :-)

The last time I met her she looked miles better and miles happier and even more beautiful. Which made me happy too.

I think that people with ASD almost always have a co morbid anxiety disorder present, so when it comes to young woman, who often are more obsessed by their looks, they are more prone to worrying about their looks than others.

My niece also went through a phase where she got a bit obsessed about her looks and thinking that she looked fat, when she looked perfect and very slim.

I told her not to worry about that, as she would get ill and being super skinny isn't attractive and often worked against a person's appearance.

Kids when they are young often are influenced by pop culture, looking up and comparing themselves to people who are famous. My niece did this also, and started to think she was ugly, when, quiet the opposite was true.

I found a website that had photos of celebrity plastic surgeries on, before and after kind of thing.
And got her to look through them.

Looking at a lot of the photos of how the biggest celebrities looked like before they had plastic surgery
helped her realise that actually a lot of the biggest best celebrities were really just ordinary looking
who had plastic surgery.

This made her much happier with how she looks.
Now, at the age of 16, she has a boy friend for over a year! and is a lot less anxious and insecure about her looks.
Awesome!

pency

12 Dec 2020, 11:53 pm

thank you for all the replies

i am male and have been anorexic & was bulimic at times (not overly so) & now have been struggling w binge eating and weight gain
i just wanted to mention i was male because a lot of the posts on this subject from the past only refer to women

men can have these issues too

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 12:01 am

Mine was from OCD and body image issues and body dysphoria. I've actually been diagnosed with anorexia even thought I still got my period and my BMI was still in the healthy range. I get a feeling doctors in my area don't like NOS labels so they go with closest match for a diagnoses.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.