Getting rejected by other aspies

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 10:40 pm

I've mentioned elsewhere that I got kicked out of my local autism group. I was afraid to mention more details because I don't know if anyone from that group might be on WP and recognize who I am and dox me.

But I decided I'll just do it.

I made a post on Facebook about my history with sexual abuse. When I went back online hours later, I found messages from the admin telling that I started a problem because many of members who had also experienced sexual abuse got triggered after reading my post. Note that there had been no previously established requirement to include a trigger warning on posts relating to the subject of sexual abuse.

I made another post saying that I was considering leaving the group on Facebook. I also expressed thought of suicide in the post. The post received a bunch likes, which told me I'm rather hated in this group. So I left the Facebook group. I was later informed by group admins that I'm no longer welcome at local meetings, because some members threatened to stop attending if I was present.

So it turns out that aspies are just as capable as neurotypicals of being complete a$$holes. Who knew?

The fact that I'm still alive after getting rejected even by other rejects is almost enough to convince me that miracles are real.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 12:04 am

Do you realize that Facebook can sometimes be ridiculous ?

Just join another group.

Make sure you insert a “trigger warning” next time.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 5:45 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Just join another group.

Problem is, he says it's also a "local" group. I gather this means it also meets in person (or has plans to meet in person after the COVID crisis has been solved). If so, he has also been excluded from an opportunity to meet other Aspies in person.

I have a big issue with the whole idea of an Aspie group on Facebook, given Facebook's "real names" policy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 6:49 am

Maybe contact the administrator, and apologize?

Just say something like you were under a lot of stress at the time, and that you will put a “trigger warning” in next time. That you made a mistake.

And maybe don’t get too graphic the first time.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

15 Mar 2021, 6:57 am

Hope you're coping OK dorkseid, that's such an unfair thing to happen!

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 9:45 am

Hi:

Those admin don't sound like they are very supportive. I would think they would have talked to you via private message rather than shame you like that. On the other hand, it may not be a good idea to share your whole story on Facebook like that.

You may benefit from online medium called "7Cups." They have online counselors and other supports that you can talk to.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 9:53 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Just join another group.

I have a big issue with the whole idea of an Aspie group on Facebook, given Facebook's "real names" policy.

I know two people who don't use their real names on Facebook with no problems.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 1:47 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I know two people who don't use their real names on Facebook with no problems.

It's still against the terms of service, and Facebook does occasionally (and unpredictably) crack down, occasionally requiring users to produce scans of photo ID.

IMO, groups should not force their members to violate a platform's terms of service in order to protect their privacy. Hence, in my opinion, any group that pertains to sensitive personal issues should NOT be on Facebook, except perhaps to have a Facebook page as a secondary means of publicity.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 1:50 pm

They're called ass pies for a reason. :wink:

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

15 Mar 2021, 3:11 pm

I know someone who was forced to start using their real name on Facebook because Facebook say they want people to know who they're talking to. Ironically, people knew him in real life by his "fake" name too so when he changed it no-one relised who they were talking to.

r00tb33r wrote:

Took me a while to get that :lol:

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 3:23 pm

Dorkseid, your autism support group sounds a lot like one that I have associated with before. They preach about acceptance and inclusion when it boils down to things, they are very picky. They also kick people out of the group for some of the silliest reasons too.

For instance, I was using their sensory rooms, one of the other members decided to put a not through the slatted door in there that read, "Hi," and she got kicked out for a little while.

Another good friend of mine got a warning about being "Too loud," during video game nights.

CollegeGirlAnon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2021, 3:33 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Dorkseid, your autism support group sounds a lot like one that I have associated with before. They preach about acceptance and inclusion when it boils down to things, they are very picky. They also kick people out of the group for some of the silliest reasons too.

For instance, I was using their sensory rooms, one of the other members decided to put a not through the slatted door in there that read, "Hi," and she got kicked out for a little while.

Another good friend of mine got a warning about being "Too loud," during video game nights.

The first thing would creep me out.

TriPM Score (Taken 05/22/2021):
103 out of 174 points (99th percentile)

ADHD & ASD diagnosis made in childhood.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 3:51 pm

r00tb33r wrote:

And we all know the ass pies in question are full of s**t. :jester:

On a serious note, what they did to you dorkseid was cruel. You would think people that have the same type of experiences would have shown some empathy for you rather than ostracize you. I am truly sorry you had to experience such callousness. It seems like you're better off without them to be perfectly honest.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 4:16 pm

i don't know dude

suicide, child abuse, rape, murder, serial murder etc. (not saying you have mentioned all these things)
all fairly distressing topics

you got to remember the internet is full of loads of different folk
especially ASD groups

there are some who are mature, intelligent
but there are also some who may be low functioning, who misunderstand things
who also get upset really easy

i have met such types myself, who i have upset by doing almost nothing

so i just steer clear of these ones
as i don't want to upset people

but i also don't want to take the flack that comes my way
when or if i do upset them

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 8:29 pm

I have not been told by Facebook management to use my real name.
Reading these messages, it seems to me that different people are having different experiences with Facebook.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 5:29 am

Sylkat wrote:
I have not been told by Facebook management to use my real name.
Reading these messages, it seems to me that different people are having different experiences with Facebook.

Yep, like I said, it happens occasionally and unpredictably.