Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2024, 3:07 am

Its not a new show, my boyfriend just showed it to me...but It is by far one of the best shows I have watched. I absolutely love the cat.

But yeah my boyfriend expressed that the reason he saw the show is cause he is into warhammer and other fans of that suggested it and he liked it so now he has shown it to me and well I love it. Every episode is a new adventure for the characters and it's always funny. I would say it is kind of a nice distraction from how f****d up the world is nowdays.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2024, 6:06 am

I haven't watched it in a long time but I loved that show. It's so smart and stupid (in the best way) at the same time. And very different and inventive. And it's so existential, that Lister is alone in the universe.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2024, 9:18 am

I remember when it would show up unexpectedly on tv, back when I was in college in the 1980s. Very funny writing. Holly was my favorite but the whole cast was good. I still think of the show every time I greet my cat with “hello, Cat”. Lister’s Liverpool accent. The all purpose non-swear-word swear-word “scmeggy”. The cheap sets and special effects are like early Doctor Who episodes.

It reminds me of the Hichhiker’s Guide radio show (the original).

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2024, 9:24 am

When Lister is dressed to impress (potential alien females), Rimmer says, "You're wearing your least smeggy things."

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2024, 9:30 am

bee33 wrote:
When Lister is dressed to impress (potential alien females), Rimmer says, "You're wearing your least smeggy things."

The quote ends:
“… that’s you shirt with only three curry stains”

Very funny show I thought. I got the first season on dvd from the library and showed it to my wife, who is really not very in to science fiction, because I just couldn’t explain it otherwise.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2024, 12:41 pm

We really enjoy Red Dwarf. My bride is also a great fan of Cat.

The story is slightly cumulative so I hope you started at "The End" and then watched every episode in order—so far, thirteen seasons! I don't think the first two seasons are as strong but I think the series will make more sense if you watch them. I think the series hits its stride when they broadcast "Backwards". Be sure to watch when they go "Back to Reality" because it will help you understand when they later go "Back to Earth". When I saw "The Beginning" I thought it would be a good place to end the series but they kept on going—and it turns out they broadcast more good stuff! When you reach "The Promised Land" they tie up a loose end from "Waiting for God" back in Season 1! And I hope that's not where the show ends up.

So, yeah, I'm a fan of the show (and an Aspie) and I hope they broadcast more!

I definitely recommend it to anyone that likes Science Fiction and/or Comedy.

When watching "Back to Earth" it would also be nice to be familiar with the movie Blade Runner [1982]!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2024, 3:15 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Its not a new show, my boyfriend just showed it to me...but It is by far one of the best shows I have watched. I absolutely love the cat.

But yeah my boyfriend expressed that the reason he saw the show is cause he is into warhammer and other fans of that suggested it and he liked it so now he has shown it to me and well I love it. Every episode is a new adventure for the characters and it's always funny. I would say it is kind of a nice distraction from how f****d up the world is nowdays.

I have met the guy who pays Lister (Craig Charles). What I didn't realize was how tall he is in real life which then one realizes how much taller the others are!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2024, 4:13 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I have met the guy who pays Lister (Craig Charles). What I didn't realize was how tall he is in real life which then one realizes how much taller the others are!

?!??

According to IMDb:
► 1.83 m (5′ 11¾″) Robert Llewellyn "Kryten"
► 1.81 m (5′ 11½″) Chris Barrie "Rimmer"
► 1.71 m (5′ 7½″) /\Danny John-Jules "Cat"
► 1.70 m (5′ 7″) /\_/Craig Charles "Lister"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2024, 5:30 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

That's interesting cause for sure I was thinking he was on the shorter side.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 4:54 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

That's interesting cause for sure I was thinking he was on the shorter side.

Maybe Mountain Goat met RuPaul Andre Charles. He's 6'7".

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 6:31 am

Was Craig Charles. Both Jack and I noticed that he seemed as tall as our boss who was 6'2" and rode a 2 5 and a quarter inch framed bike. If he is really shorter than we thought either he was standing on a curb or had high shoes on at the time? I really don't know! It was my boss who he was interviewing as he was a well known local dignatory and was a local councillor at the time, which is why he was being interviewed outside the shop he owned that we worked in. (I was in my late teens or about 20 at the time. Jack (Who's real name was John who was called Jack to us to avoid confusion with our Boss as his name was John (And his youngest sons name was Jon as well, so things could get confusing) was a good friend of my boss and of similar age of being nearly retired, was offered a job as he was working with a very small company that handbuilt high quality luxury sports touring cars, where they made 15 cars a year and also repaired and renovated other high quality racing and sports cars but sadly the small company he worked for had gone bankrupt in the recession in the very early 1990's, so he came to work with us. A tallented engineer who despite his superior mechanical.knowledge on cars, struggled at first on working with bicycles as bicycles are a whole new area of expertize and he hadn't realized that, so I was (Despite my young age) training Jack on bicycle mechanics. He had mastered toeing in brakes which is something not done on cars, but then the last I remembered was helping him with adjusting gears, as he was out of his element. I found that quite a number of really good cwr mechanics struggled when it came to bicycles as they are not as simple as they assumed they were when it came to setting them up to professional standards, something which some of todays bicycle mechanical trainers are not quite up to that level so perpetuate the issues to the next generations, but at least I can say that if those they train listen and copy their bikes will at least be safe even if they may not exactly be set up properly if one wants them set up to a professional standard. (Due to the advancing technical changes happening, even I admit there are now one or two aspects I have not covered, but some of the new guys seem lost on some of the old school aspects that we had to learn. One extremely concerning aspect today is where they give certificates calling them bike mechanics after just a day or a few weeks training. Certificates were never around in the past BUT no one dared call themselves a bicycle mechanic unless thay had done two years or more training in the past! Real concerning to be honest as even the mechanically brightest individual needs at least a year before they are fit to pass.

Craig Charles was initially down there to film the area which included the local beach. He loved the area so much that some have said he owns half one of the local seaside villages after they said he bought them up house at a time each time a property came on the market. I don't know if that is true or not. If true he must rent them out. If not true it is just local gossip snowballing if he just bought more than one house in the seaside village! Can't blame him as is a beautiful village!

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 8:32 am

^ very interesting OT details about bicycle mechanics. I love it. Wish I was good with mechanical things. I am better with software than HW

I think, perhaps, Craig Charles was wearing lifts.

I lost track of the series after the first few seasons. I can see how the had plenty of material to lampoon and rob from other scifi. The writers were good and they could keep ot going.

The success of the Red Dwarf series lead to the creation of “Homeboys in Outer Space” which wasn’t as good, but did have James Doohan (Scotty from Star Trek) who would make disparaging jokes about “the captain” so it is worth watching one episode or two just for that.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 9:58 am

Red Dwarf (If one thinks of the concept) is too silly to work, but with those tallented actors it just clicks and works!

There are many other TV series like what was the worlds longest running commedy TV series "Last of the Summer Wine" (Unless one has recently overtaken it, as I think it ended around 2007 or a few years after that). That was central to a few key actors and when they eventually died, it was not easy to kesp it going. It did continue for a while and I thought it was still ok, but for many people the origional actors are what made the series.

Not knocking the actors as they did their best, but the newer version film of Dads Army just wasn't the same as it was in the past. Yet sometimes new versions with new actors just do work.

Some films have made several attempts over the years by having many greatly tallented people involved, and I am not just talking about the actors, though they play an integral part.
An example of the film made from the book called "The Railway Children" where the first film in black and white was a silent movie version and played in theatres back in the 1930's, but it is the second version filmed in the 1970's that just does it for me where they go t the actors and the atmosphere of the film so "Right" that no dissrespect to the other excellent versions since then, but that version just can't be beat!

Is like the film "Housekeeping" which I will add a link go the trailer of the filmwhich has a timeless appeal and an air of childhood familiarity which is also present in The Railway Children.

I heard that another excellent classic "Gregories Girl" may have had the same director? I also loved Gregories Girl and there is a rief scene with a Renault 15 in a car park which is amazing!

Napolien Dynamite has an interesting timeless appeal to it where one feels the atmosphere of motionless silence inbetween shots.It is hard to describe, but each one of these very different films has that timeless edge and makes the viewers relax and identify with what they are watching.

Many films one may watch but lack the personal touch that draws one in to feel part of the scene and not as most films are watching "It".

Red Dwarf is one that one watches "It" with a humourous side, as it is the type of series that one is not wanting to be part of but enjoys it all the same and I can recommend it for its humour and budget looking thrills (Which is part of the purposfully enclosing commedious approach. Where else would one find a human talking and walking cat with a logically sounding excuse for its existence!)

All these films or TV series' I recommend! Go out and watch them!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 1:36 pm

Well, maybe you just look up to Craig Charles because he—like the other three stars—is perfect for and essential to the incredibly outstandingly wonderful Red Dwarf!

And I think that Last of the Summer Wine [1973–2010] was wonderful but the premise was not ideal for a very long run. It was supposed to be a show about three retired old guys who were friends. So they hired retirement-age guys for the key parts. ...which became inconvenient when the show kept going on decade after decade. Peter Sallis, one of the stars, was born in 1921 and was in his fifties when the series premiered in 1973 and was in every episode until his late eighties when the show went off the air in 2010. And, um, a lot of the show was shot outside with the stars walking up and down hills, etc.

P.S. If anyone is unfamiliar with Last of the Summer Wine then I strongly recommend it. But it is a gentle, understated comedy. Don't watch one episode and judge it on that. Watch five to ten episodes so you become familiar with the characters as people. You might find you want to keep watching it because you are curious what these people you are acquainted with are going to do next.

P.P.S. Over the years I have tried to cultivate a dry sense of humor. After I found out I was Autistic I realized a dry sense of humor might be a good choice for me as an Autistic. If you think you might like to cultivate a dry sense of humor then an obvious way to do that is expose yourself to "acquaintances" who display a dry sense of humor...like the characters on Last of the Summer Wine! I really do wonder if watching lots of Last of the Summer Wine might be good "therapy" for a high-functioning Autistic...exposing them to and dry humor that they can learn from and emulate.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 2:00 pm

I reacon the main character on Housekeeping (1987), Aunt Silvie is autistic along with one of her nieces.
Aunt Silvie reminds me of a cross between my Mum.and her Sister who was my Aunt.

mgurak
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jul 2024, 1:11 am

I had a few episodes of this on VHS tapes. It's a great show. I have to say my favorite character is Kryten. There are so many great lines that are worth repeating. Remember folks, don't heat the gazpacho.

"They're dead Dave. They're all dead Dave."