Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2024, 7:01 am

PBS Kids To Launch New Show About Characters With Autism

Quote:
A first-of-its-kind children’s show featuring a main character with autism is set to premiere this fall.

PBS Kids said this week that “Carl the Collector” will debut Nov. 14.

The animated show is all about the adventures of Carl, a raccoon with autism, and his neurotypical and neurodiverse friends in Fuzzytown

Carl, who collects everything from autographs to bottle caps, fake mustaches, pet rocks and sweaters, is described as “warm-hearted” and someone who pays close attention to detail. He is joined by his best friend, Sheldon, an empathetic beaver who knows how to help Carl navigate social situations, identical twin bunnies Nico and Arugula who have very different personalities, a hyperactive, impulsive squirrel with a tree nut allergy named Forrest and Lotta, a fox with autism who excels at art and music but is hypersensitive to sound, smell and food textures.

The show, which is aimed at kids ages 4 to 8, finds the friends learning about themselves and each other, PBS Kids said. In one episode, Carl, who has a tough time with new situations, freezes up when Nico trips and falls. Meanwhile, in another episode, his ability to notice details is an asset when Nico gets frustrated that people can’t tell her and her twin apart

In addition to spotlighting characters with autism, the team behind the show includes neurodiverse writers, production staff, animators, advisors and voice talent, PBS Kids said.

The show will launch alongside a series of digital content for kids, families and educators designed to encourage self-discovery and empathy.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 9:49 pm

This looks interesting. Since he's a raccoon, my Rocket fan friends (pretty much all of them are ND) are gonna go nuts in a good way over this.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2024, 2:45 am

This makes me uncomfortable and I don't know why.

Maybe because of Julia on Sesame Street, who was sponsored by Autism Shrieks.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2024, 1:25 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
This makes me uncomfortable and I don't know why.

Maybe because of Julia on Sesame Street, who was sponsored by Autism Shrieks.

There's another kid's show supposedly coming to PBS made be the guy who made Arthur where the protagonist is autistic or there's an autistic character or something. https://press.wbd.com/us/media-release/ ... re-april-4