Israel’s occupation of Palestinian a ‘de facto annexation’

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2024, 3:13 pm

Israel’s occupation of Palestinian territories a ‘de facto annexation,’ says World Court

Quote:
The United Nations’ top court has said that Israeli settlement policies in Palestinian territories such as the occupied West Bank breach international law. Although not legally binding, the advisory opinion could affect other countries' opinions and bring about possible sanctions.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2024, 4:05 pm

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the long term. Israel's and U.S. first respons will no doubt be defiant. As far as I know, if you illegally occupy a territory you have by international law no right to self defence against the people resisting the occupation.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2024, 1:02 pm

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2024, 10:23 pm

World court certainly took it's time. Perhaps 1948 they could have pointed this out to Israel and South Africa, it would have saved a lot of suffering.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 7:42 pm

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 10:36 am

How many divisions does the ICJ have?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 1:30 pm

cyberdad wrote:
World court certainly took it's time. Perhaps 1948 they could have pointed this out to Israel and South Africa, it would have saved a lot of suffering.

Israel did not seize the occupied territories until the 1967 War (aka "the six day war").