Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 8:58 am

Former Argentina boss labels Kylian Mbappe and Ousmane Dembele as autistic

Quote:
Former Argentina boss Jorge Sampaoli is mostly known for leading a disastrous campaign at the 2018 FIFA World Cup. The 64-year-old last coached Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A club Flamengo before being relieved of his duties in 2023.

Recently, the manager made headlines for his brutally honest assessment of Kylian Mbappe and Ousmane Dembele, two players who have proven their worth on the big stage. In a recent interview, the veteran made certain comments about Dembele and Mbappe, much to the distaste of fans around the globe.

When things get out of hand, they (France) know that he (Dembele) plays like an autistic. He doesn't have the ability to make a teammate shine. Mbappe is a bit like that too.

Jorge Sampaoli forced to apologize after brutal ‘autistic’ comment
Shortly after Jorge Sampaoli went on a brutal rant of Kylian Mbappe and co. and Ousmane Dembele in particular, the manager took to social media to apologize for the same.

It was never my intention to refer to autism. I had to be more careful with the words I used. I apologize.

The manager later clarified that he was trying to talk about individuality more than anything else.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 10:29 am

"When things get out of hand, they (France) know that he (Dembele) plays like an autistic. He doesn't have the ability to make a teammate shine. Mbappe is a bit like that too."

Is that supposed to be a description of how autistics play football? I am not saying Lionel Messi is autistic, but I think he plays like one.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 10:59 am

BillyTree wrote:
"When things get out of hand, they (France) know that he (Dembele) plays like an autistic. He doesn't have the ability to make a teammate shine. Mbappe is a bit like that too."

Is that supposed to be a description of how autistics play football? I am not saying Lionel Messi is autistic, but I think he plays like one.

I think that is supposed to mean autistics play football like that and I do not think it was a complement.

A lot of people claim Messi is autistic, as far as I know he has never said he is.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 12:47 pm

I don't know, I think it's actually a reasonably precise way to describe someone who plays like they fail to understand that they have teammates who can help them.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

TikvaBall
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2024, 1:15 pm

Not sure how an autistic person plays football. The way I would probably play is to get whacked upside the head with the ball.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 3:36 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
BillyTree wrote:

I think that is supposed to mean autistics play football like that and I do not think it was a complement.

A lot of people claim Messi is autistic, as far as I know he has never said he is.

I am not sure what you are trying to say with your reply, but it seems to confirm what I wrote. In case you didn't understand my point, it's this: Messi has no autism diagnosis known to the public and if he's autistic or not is really none of our business. He's not exactly a big mouthed extrovert and you could of course speculate from that. Still, that guy should probably rather look at Messi for a clue about how autistics play football instead of talking nonsense about the lack of abiltiy to make a teammate shine.

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2024, 4:22 pm

When I played, I was a goalkeeper.

Perfect position for an autistic person. You can be as 'different' as you like.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2024, 5:04 pm

Even if it might be the truth, you don't say such things to the athletes that you're coaching.