Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 3:41 pm

He shares some noticable traits.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 3:43 pm

I can't say that he's autistic, but I wouldn't feel comfortable insisting he's not autistic. :lol:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 3:46 pm

I was thinking of other characters played by actors for the humour of the things the charactors did, and were filmed in the days before people in the UK (Or USA) knew much about the term "Autism", but did display lots of autistic traits in an amusing way.

Frank Spencer comes to mind as I write!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 3:52 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I was thinking of other characters played by actors for the humour of the things the charactors did, and were filmed in the days before people in the UK (Or USA) knew much about the term "Autism", but did display lots of autistic traits in an amusing way.

Frank Spencer comes to mind as I write!

I've noticed in sitcoms and in double acts it's pretty common for the boke (funny man) to display signs consistent with autism, ADHD, personality disorders, etc. Sometimes the straight man will also display traits of different issues. When there's multiple characters they'll often all be written with quirks that would border on disorders in the real world, usually to ensure conflict will always exist between certain characters.

It's often hard to tell if the character was intentionally written to have a specific disorder or if it's just picking traits that lend themselves well to comedy.

This seems to be true in a lot of entertainment from outside the English speaking world too. Japanese comedy relies on it too, from what I've seen.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 4:20 pm

My cousins eldest is just like Frank Spencer, and when I was given Frank Spencer DVD's one Christmas I put them on with him around and he wanted me to turn them off as (In his words) "It reminds me too much of home!"

We love him as he is, and don't want him to change as the things he does brightens up the day. (We miss him as he has married since and moved abroad to where his wife lives.

Here he is acting... He was supposed to pretend he had been shot, and my brother did many takes of this and this was the best!

We had lots of fun in those days between us... Here we are playing a quick game of football!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 5:03 pm

Mountain Goat...do you have a time machine?!

Your posts above are footnoted with:

"Last edited by Mountain Goat on Febuary 31st, 2026, 12:42 am, edited 126 time in total."

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 5:07 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Mountain Goat...do you have a time machine?!

Your posts above are footnoted with:

"Last edited by Mountain Goat on Febuary 31st, 2026, 12:42 am, edited 126 time in total."

Yes, but don't tell anyone or everyone would want to have a go!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 5:22 pm

He doesn't seem to have much empathy for others, so maybe? :roll:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 5:37 pm

He isn't exactly the most socially graceful either.

And the way he cheats on tests suggests he might not be blessed when it comes to ToM. :nerdy:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 5:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

And the way he cheats on tests suggests he might not be blessed when it comes to ToM. :nerdy:

Who is Tom?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 5:57 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Who is Tom?

ToM = Theory of Mind

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 6:25 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Who is Tom?

ToM = Theory of Mind

Not quite sure what theory of mind is. (Apologize for not knowing. Have heard it said but not sure what it is).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 9:07 pm

Theory of Mind" is the ability to get the heads of others and anticipate their motives and reactions etc.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 10:08 pm

Well, I don't know if he's autistic or allistic.

But he ain't neurotypical and undoubtedly neurodivergent.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 10:12 pm

Like Sheldon from Big Bang theory, Mr Bean was designed to be socially awkward without any connotation of having a specific disorder.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2024, 10:47 pm

I'm sick of the stereotyping. It's because I'm not anything like Spock or Sheldon or Mr. Bean that I occasionally suffer from Autism Imposter Syndome.

I was just reading an article where the author who was on the spectrum said they related more to Deanna Troi from Star Trek:TNG, who had high empathy and the ability to sense emotions. It was her job to report to the captain how others were feeling or thinking. But she is possibly the last character most people would see as on the autism spectrum.

I wouldn't know personally, however, as I am not a fan of Star Trek. I relate to Ariel from the Mermaid the most because she wasn't interested in her own society and culture, collected objects based on her intense interests, hung out with animals, didn't relate well to her own kind, and was often scolded or punished for not being a proper mermaid. But the movie was made in the late 80s when people were and usually still are very clueless and ignorant about autism in female adolescents and adults. I also relate to Belle and Princess Jasmine. But most other people think Disney Princesses are terrible and a bad influence on young girls. Yeah, they might get ideas, and thinking... :lol: