Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

krut
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2024, 11:38 pm

I was just reading a little about this philosophy and how each person is responsible for their own choices and actions. For years I've questioned this, even before my ASD diagnosis. I was raised in a family of alcoholics and I don't see how I could be expected to make good decisions without having much guidance. I'd love to hear from others in this group about their feelings and experiences with this. I'm thinking that most philosophies only apply to neurotypicals and those with no disabilties at all, physical or mental. Not looking for an excuse to make excuses.

Do things to make you think he's right.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 5:11 am

Are you asking about our experiences with Existentialism or about our experiences with being raised in an alcoholic family?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

KaneR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2024, 9:48 am

I’m going to sound like I’m starting off topic, but please bear with me.
So, I really struggle with the concept of autism and its related spectrum of conditions. As a teenager I started obsessing over Asperger’s and I really wanted to be confirmed to have it to explain myself. Still to this day I go through phases of this, even after having received an official Autism Spectrum Condition diagnoses. The concept of autism still baffles me and I just go round and round not really getting anywhere with it. But, multiple people have said to me that they feel that I’m on the spectrum, including “professionals”. I still can’t seem to buy it for some reason.
I just wanted to get that out of the way for some reason, to set some context before I go into philosophy as a topic.
I have finally come to a place in my life now (I’m in my 30s now) where philosophy honestly fascinates me, I think maybe partly because I feel that I don’t understand a lot about life, naturally. Existentialism is such an interesting concept to me, along with nihilism and the rest. So, I’m an example of someone with autistic like tendencies, with an autism diagnosis that also loves philosophy. So there we go.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 10:59 am

Well, labels are just labels. :lol: There! An example.

Anyone can have different sentiments and ideas over whatever label; in autism in particular:

To some it's the answer to everything; either their key to growth and freedom or stagnation and resignation.
To others it's a death sentence; either that will make themselves hate forever and kill themselves or something to grieve and process.

And that's just the two ends and if one won't be changing their minds anytime soon.

There are no right or true answers.

Well, there are clinically or/and academically defined 'right' answers but anyone can torture the numbers, debunk studies and stats, change the symptomology, and so forth...

krut wrote:
I was just reading a little about this philosophy and how each person is responsible for their own choices and actions.

I found out that (or closest that I found in my point of view) is that it's actually paradoxical.

And the statement of responsibility of one's choices and actions is just a half of the whole.
The rest is subject to many things outside an individual.

Quote:
For years I've questioned this, even before my ASD diagnosis. I was raised in a family of alcoholics and I don't see how I could be expected to make good decisions without having much guidance.

Yeah, I did more or less.
And yeah I did not have a lot of good guidance either.

But I realized that I can choose who or what can be.
I think this is relative to a particular mindset or creativity in adaptation than simply one's developmental stage or trauma responses, but also external options, how one could find them and if one can get them.

Quote:
I'd love to hear from others in this group about their feelings and experiences with this. I'm thinking that most philosophies only apply to neurotypicals and those with no disabilties at all, physical or mental. Not looking for an excuse to make excuses.

Most philosophies can be applied to all. Conversely, depending on one's interpretation.

Anyone can quote and quote and quote, and do not actually understand it. :lol:

It's just that what I noticed is that the main missing components of detailed steps is either very tied to executive functions, the blackbox processing that is subservient to NTs, or anything relative to one's "level" of consciousness.

Spiritual definitions of consciousness (not necessarily religious), in a sense not everyone has words for (in theory, of one is alexithymic or/and very cognitively external and concrete oriented, it won't do well).

In definitions closer to the levels of Maslow's pyramid of needs and motivation.

And one more or less tied to emotional intelligence and wisdom (not even a lot of NTs can comprehend or even accept).
... Not the clinical definition of consciousness which is a function that almost all humans have 'all of it's levels' at birth. :lol:

I'm not religious.
I can read a lot of things all I want, though my language processing isn't as reliable; I can just dismiss them all if I had until I actually experienced things myself or witnessed them at any point.

I prefer to actually 'know' than just simply 'believe'.

For the longest time, I want to be free. That is my 'main quest'. :lol:
Richest and fame be damned, not even achievements and ideas of joy or happiness.

All that comfort and struggle, all that pleasure and pain... :| Emotional processing is a nuisance, physics is a playful mistress, humans are not evolved enough and are collectively too dumb to get out of an abusive relationship yet (I hope), yadda, yadda, yadda... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.