the biggest big business in america is anxiety

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 4:40 pm

Arnold Eric Sevareid was an American author and CBS news journalist from 1939 to 1977. He was one of a group of elite war correspondents who were hired by CBS newsman Edward R. Murrow and nicknamed "Murrow's Boys." In a 1970 editorial, he said-
"[i]The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety."

IMHO examples of this are the ever-present legal ads and big pharma ads in broadcasts and in print. the pharma ads with product warnings that are longer than the commercial itself are one example. can anybody here expound on this?

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 4:47 pm

I definitely think the mass immigration we currently have in the US and UK causes anxiety for a lot of people.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 5:26 pm

yes, the selling of the concept of harmful immigrants is certainly big business in amuuurica, this has been going on for a long time now.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 6:17 pm

Rossall wrote:
I definitely think the mass immigration we currently have in the US and UK causes anxiety for a lot of people.

Only because it's being intentionally stirred up by dishonest players. Immigrants don't cause problems nor are they a source of genuine or justified anxiety.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 8:18 pm

tell that to your typical maga.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 8:20 pm

The beauty industry is all about having something you don't have.
Straight hair? You want curly hair....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 8:21 pm

afraid you'll be dirt poor all your life? play the lotto.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 8:51 pm

bee33 wrote:
Rossall wrote:

Only because it's being intentionally stirred up by dishonest players. Immigrants don't cause problems nor are they a source of genuine or justified anxiety.

Some of that anxiety would exist even without those dishonest players, although they certainly aren't helping things.

Ultimately that sense of stranger danger would exist even without people seeking to profit from exploiting it. If it didn't already exist, it wouldn't be exploitable.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 8:51 pm

auntblabby wrote:
afraid you'll be dirt poor all your life? play the lotto.

Aka, pay the having dreams of no longer being poor tax. :nerdy:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 8:58 pm

Brian from Family Guy said it best; "playing the lottery is a tax on stupid people"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 9:14 pm

mebbe you two have not had experience of being long-term on the skids for a good while.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 9:20 pm

auntblabby wrote:
mebbe you two have not had experience of being long-term on the skids for a good while.

Just my entire adult life. :nerdy:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 9:22 pm

the water's fetid but at least it won't kill you right away.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 9:24 pm

me too; I was born with a wooden spoon in my mouth

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 9:56 pm

Maybe...
That's how it is in this reality at most places, globally.

Not just in the USA, not just in America the continent even.

I'm not talking about the pharma itself selling meds for anxiety to make more money by having an environment that will likely induce anxiety; that's just a piece of a larger picture.

But anxiety at large as a means to control entire populace.
Exploiting the human stress response at large, normalizing certain levels of toxic stress and medicating normal human responses to such environment.

:lol: And the means of quelling that anxiety or stress responses is not even limited to the pharma and their meds.

But just about everything; the food and anything that's been put there, the entertain industry and subscriptions to access, hostile working hours and crappier economy...

Anxiety -> Relief -> Anxiety -> Relief.
Like some drug dependent addict. :lol:
Doesn't matter what the source of anxiety and stress is; culture, survival, ownership.

Because humans are evolved to rely on the fricking amygdala and it's fricking reactivity and it's yet to evolve out of it.

MY own conspiracy theory answers is that the ones that's been pulling the strings are definately at least are masters when it came to the human mind and how to collectively exploit it. :lol:

Whether they're actual people or some intangible force; they're the contrasting counterparts from love, with anxiety and fear as a means to empower them.

It can be a literal devil, it can be the embodiment of evil or some hidden organization.
Doesn't matter. They're negatively inclined. :lol: Want humans to remain in survival mode and exploit the heck out of it.

Whether them as a part of a spiritual challenge and providers of catalysts or actually as a hostile entities who wants to interfere with human cycles and use all of them as some sort of batteries, I've yet to conclude.
Doesn't matter. I'm still questioning if the contrast of pain and suffering is worth the soul brownie points. :lol:

But I don't need to dive rabbit holes and networks of internet, it's just something I observed as someone from a country that romanticizes the traits of resilience.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes.
My reply is with a woowoo based conspiracy no different than any stoners or schizophrenics might conclude because I'm bored.

But really.
I just want to know where did such people get the idea even way, way long before.
And I'm sure it's older than it seem as OP post year indicates.

How are such exempted from such state in short of cunning psychopathy, the conspiracy theory organizations or generational constant luxurious and entitled upbringing with passing down the knowledge on how to exploit people or perceive them as inhumane as possible?

The ones who founded such scheme to be precise... Where did they get the idea from? :lol: :twisted:

I know nothing of names to point finger at, however. I'm not that in tuned of things abroad. :o

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 10:52 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
I just want to know where did such people get the idea even way, way long before. And I'm sure it's older than it seem as OP post year indicates.

from caveman days to be a bit more precise. people listened to the caveman who gave accurate warnings.