Do you live alone? Do you want to?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2024, 8:24 pm

Do you live alone, with a partner, with family, or with roommates? Or some other arrangement?

Would you rather live alone or with someone? For me, I would rather live with a partner. I have a partner but we are not in the stage of our relationship where we would live together, and I think he's much more independent than I am so I'm not sure when that might happen. I live alone, which I think is better than with roommates I might find difficult, but I don't like being alone.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2024, 5:37 am

I don't live alone.
But I want to.

I need my own space.
I need at least a room that I can control it's temperature and humidity.

Most importantly, I need my own time.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2024, 9:09 pm

At the moment, I have a roommate. He and I get on just fine and he's gone a lot, so it's not a problem for me though it did take some adjustment time. Before that I had lived alone for the bulk of five/six or so years (?) with my ex being back in the house for a year during that time (we were separated for about two years before that).

I like living alone, I really do. Reality is though that I am not a wealthy person, and it is easier for me to have someone around who can contribute something to my household. The worse the economy gets and the tighter my finances become, the more aware of this I become. I don't like it. But it is reality. I am poor. I would love to be able to live alone, but I don't know if I could continue to afford to. My medical bills really wrecked me.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2024, 9:16 pm

I think I'd do best living with one other person who ideally isn't related to me. I think living alone would be too much responsibility for me to keep up with everything by myself, and I would constantly worry that I'd have a heart attack or something and no one would find me. (yes I worry irrationally a lot) But people are hard to live with and I have had more than enough of living with my parents.

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 11:35 am

I live alone and I have no problems whatsoever with it. After spending several years being sent to several different homes for people with mental illness while being undiagnosed with Asperger's, it was like yanking out teeth just to get where I am today.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 11:41 am

I lived alone in a flat when I was younger and much preferred it to the times I shared a place with others. I have a partner and child now so I can't really say I'd rather live alone (although there are times!). I look back on that flat with great fondness though, it was the only time in my life I've had everything exactly as I wanted it and complete control over who comes and goes. Bliss!

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 2:15 pm

I haven't seen another human this week.
I live with my partner, but she's interstate looking after dying parents.
I don't think I'd survive long if I thought I'd always be on my own.

Having said that, I am more comfortable the less people are around.

Don't trust the humanoids !

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

07 Aug 2024, 5:21 pm

I've been living with my current girlfriend for over 11 years now. I lived with my parents till I moved in with her. In some ways I found living with my parents extremely frustrating but there wasn't much of a choice without being homeless left to fend for myself on the streets. Even if I had my own place(which was sorta in the works but majorly stalled) I would of had major problems living alone due to various disabilities & not having enough independent living skills. I'm fine being by myself for like a week but I'll eventually run out of leftovers & quickly tire of cooking the same few things. Plus my mental health would start majorly suffering after being by myself for a while. I need someone around a bit to keep me somewhat grounded.

The idea of living with a roommate, other family members, or group home type situation seemed worse to me than living with my parents even if something had seemed like a viable option. I never felt very close to my parents or like they majorly understood me but I felt even more distant & misunderstood by society & others in general. Perhaps I've done a bit of masking while in school or working but I'm not entirely sure about the meaning of that term or how it applies to me. The only people I felt differently about were my romantic partners. The three girlfriends I've had were the only people I felt majorly close to & overall like they mostly understood & accepted me more than anyone else has. Which is partly why when I was single or when my relationships were long distance I loved the idea of living with a romantic partner. I also majorly hated sleeping by myself a lot once I got in my first relationship, I love cuddling with my romantic partner but I'm anti-affectionate with everyone else.

I guess I'm currently in my ideal type of living situation. Cass has various disabilities herself including very likely being on the autism spectrum but also has various benefits including housing assistance. In some ways she has lots more independent living skills than me but her issues fluctuate a lot. She lived alone for a year before we moved in together & she had major problems being by herself. Cass was kind of planning on moving back in with her parents when we got in a relationship. In some ways she hated living with her parents because the house was having lots of problems & falling apart & her parents fought a lot. Cass needs to have someone around a lot for emotional support which is something she thinks I provide better than most anyone else probably could but I sometimes have my doubts. Our problems might be too similar in some ways though like we both need someone to kind of lead us into things. We do the chores that have to be done but we lack initiative, health, or caring to do things that can wait. The three jobs I had were cleaning related & I never goofed off according to most workers & managers but at home it's hard for me to get in the mindset to do chores. Getting a part-time job could be really good for my health to be more active & not stress about money as much but that's a topic for another thread & section that I touch on too much :oops: Cass does visit different family members some for a couple nights at a time a couple times a month so I do get a bit of time to myself. Also our schedules fluctuate a lot; hers due to her health, stress, seeing family, having appointments, & life requirements; & my schedule because of her, & occasionally because of going shopping by myself or having an appointment. My computer is in our bedroom & she's mostly only in here to sleep. She spends lots of time in the living-room & I'm mostly in the living-room or on my computer when I'm awake.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 10:01 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I look back on that flat with great fondness though, it was the only time in my life I've had everything exactly as I wanted it and complete control over who comes and goes. Bliss!
I could have written this myself. I lived by myself in a flat for about two years. The mortgage was very cheap and I saved money. Unfortunately, I had worsening trouble with my mental health and had to sell the flat and move in with my parents.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 11:00 pm

I live alone in a single family house surrounded by hundreds of flowering plants that I take care of.
It is expensive but I can afford it! I paid off the mortgage over a decade ago.

King Kat 1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 11:13 pm

I live alone and would not have it any other way.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 3:19 am

nick007 wrote:
there wasn't much of a choice without being homeless left to fend for myself on the street.

There wasn't much of a choice for me either, when I was living in my last apartment, I thought I was going to be homeless when I had to move out, I had a short time to leave. My social worker found me a group home.

Quote:
Even if I had my own place(which was sorta in the works but majorly stalled) I would of had major problems living alone due to various disabilities & not having enough independent living skills. I'm fine being by myself for like a week but I'll eventually run out of leftovers & quickly tire of cooking the same few things. Plus my mental health would start majorly suffering after being by myself for a while. I need someone around a bit to keep me somewhat grounded.

In my 20s my parents found me a condo, but I was too scared to move, I wasn't mentally ready to move out.

Quote:
The idea of living with a roommate, other family members, or group home type situation seemed worse to me than living with my parents even if something had seemed like a viable option. I never felt very close to my parents or like they majorly understood me but I felt even more distant & misunderstood by society & others in general. Perhaps I've done a bit of masking while in school or working but I'm not entirely sure about the meaning of that term or how it applies to me. The only people I felt differently about were my romantic partners. The three girlfriends I've had were the only people I felt majorly close to & overall like they mostly understood & accepted me more than anyone else has. Which is partly why when I was single or when my relationships were long distance I loved the idea of living with a romantic partner. I also majorly hated sleeping by myself a lot once I got in my first relationship, I love cuddling with my romantic partner but I'm anti-affectionate with everyone else

you lucky you didn't have to go to a group home, I had to go to one :roll: 8O :cry:

Quote:
various benefits including housing assistance.

what benefits is she on if you don't mind telling me

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 3:26 am

I was living on my own, I had to move to a group home, I'm looking at apartments online for me & my cat.

MonumentalMaster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Aug 2024, 5:08 am

I don't live alone, but I want to
I want to be able to be alone

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 8:33 pm

It's nice to have your own space but I also find it hard to be alone most of the time. I would consider living with my sister but she lives far away and I would have to move, and I like where I live and I have a lovely boyfriend. I guess I should count how lucky I am all in all. Best wishes to everyone to have the living situation that is best for you.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 9:34 am

In answer to the questions:

Yes

Yes

:lol: