Teen sentenced to five years in prison - violent incident

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 12:04 pm

Autistic Florida teen sentenced to five years in prison after violent incident

Quote:
Brendan Depa, the severely autistic Florida teen whose assault on teacher’s aide Joan Naydich went viral last year, was sentenced on Tuesday to five years in state prison followed by 15 years of probation.

In imposing the sentence in Flagler County Court, Circuit Judge Terrence Perkins said that while he was conscious of Depa’s disabilities, the teenager’s February 21, 2023 attack, which left Naydich with broken ribs, was senselessly violent in a “very troubling way.”

Depa’s case attracted intense interest in the media and online after the Flagler County Sheriff’s Office released footage of the incident, which occurred at Matanzas High School in Palm Coast, about 30 miles north of Daytona Beach. Because of privacy laws the office didn’t disclose Depa’s behavioral issues.

State prosecutors tried Depa, 17 at the time of the attack, as an adult and charged him with aggravated battery on an educational employee.

The case has raised concerns among some parents of special needs kids. Stephen Furnari, a local Flagler attorney who is the father of one such child, said that he worries what precedent the case will set for autistic teenagers who have a “bad day.”

A months-long Miami Herald investigation into the assault and its fallout, published last week, revealed numerous systemic failures in the years leading up to the incident.

None of Florida’s mental health facilities have in-house education facilities. The Depa family found a facility in South Carolina that did, but were forced to remove him after their private health insurance stopped paying for his care.

They subsequently placed him in a group home in Florida in Flager County, roughly three hours away from their home in the Tampa suburbs, and enrolled him at nearby Matanzas High School.

The Depa family alleged that Matanzas High School and the county’s school district repeatedly failed to review and adhere to Depa’s specialized behavorial plan, as mandated by federal law. The family alleges that as Depa’s behavior worsened the school failed to make any changes, which culminated in the Feb. 21, 2023 assault on the teacher’s aide.

After he was arrested, prosecutors upgraded Depa’s charges from a second-degree juvenile felony to a first-degree charge in adult court and the judge found him competent to stand trial despite doubts from one of the court-appointed experts to assess his mental fitness. Prosecutors did not offer Depa any plea deal to reduce his sentence, despite offering a plea deal to a white teen with similar developmental and mental health issues who was charged with assaulting a teacher and two teacher’s aides in 2019.

State prosecutor Melissa Clark asked the court Tuesday to sentence Depa to seven years in prison followed by at least 10 years of probation.

“He has a high probability of violence in the future,” she said.

Depa’s attorney Kurt Tiefke asked Perkins to let Depa return to his family or impose juvenile sanctions and send him to a juvenile facility rather than prison.

Depa’s mother, Leanne, had previously told the Herald that sending her son to one of Florida’s prisons, which are rife with allegations of abuse and inadequate mental health care, would be tantamount to a “death sentence.”

But Perkins declined to return Depa to his parent’s home or to impose juvenile sanctions, which he said would not be a sufficient penalty.

He ordered the state Corrections Department to conduct a complete mental health assessment for Depa and institute a care plan.

Ann Siegel, the legal director of advocacy group Disability Rights Florida, criticized the ruling and called it another example of “criminalizing” disabilities after failing to provide adequate support and services.

“Prison is not the place you go to get appropriate mental health services.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2024, 2:58 pm

Quote:
The surveillance footage of the attack is graphic. Depa is seen punching and kicking the woman as she lies on the ground, motionless...

She suffered multiple serious injuries, including five broken ribs, a severe concussion, and loss of hearing in one of her ears, among other issues...

She said her speech has slowed, she has issues with patience, and she often has difficulty with what she considers routine cognitive functions.

"Unfortunately, a lot of my injuries that are not visible I'm going to have for the rest of my life," she said.

Florida teacher’s aide provides update... from 2023, but people should know what he did & the effects.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2024, 11:46 pm

I don't know the story, so I can't really say anything.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2024, 11:55 pm

Quote:
“Prison is not the place you go to get appropriate mental health services.”
Correct.  Prison is a place where vicious people are housed to keep them away from potential victims.
Quote:
She suffered multiple serious injuries, including five broken ribs, a severe concussion, and loss of hearing in one of her ears, among other issues.  She said since the attack, she’s been back and forth to several doctors who are looking for a diagnosis for some of the neurological symptoms she's faced.

As for the financial impact this has had, according to Naydich, she's been struggling to get her workers' compensation case resolved.  Naydich said she returned to work in August under a different title.  Just a couple of days into her new assignment, she was placed on an unpaid leave of absence.  Naydich said she is frustrated with what she called a lack of support from the Flagler County school district.

For now, she's living off of donations from concerned community members, until she is able to find another stream of income.
He reduced a productive member of society to a broken wreck who must rely on the charity of others for survival.

Let him rot.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 1:03 pm

This should be a stand your ground case. The woman who was injured attempted to steal from the boy, she's the bad guy.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 8:17 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
This should be a stand your ground case. The woman who was injured attempted to steal from the boy, she's the bad guy.
The teacher was trying to enforce school rules.  For this, she was made an invalid.

Do you call that justice?  If so, then your misogyny is showing.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 9:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
The teacher was trying to enforce school rules.  For this, she was made an invalid.

Do you call that justice?  If so, then your misogyny is showing.

If I'm a misogynist than you're a racist Fnord. It's clear you don't want the kid to receive the same treatment the white kid who did similar received.

Imagine trying to frame the right to defend one's property from being stolen as misogynistic. The thief's gender is irrelevant. You sound like you're satirizing what an idiot might say only you're dead serious. :lol: :lol:

TIL: Misogyny is when you don't allow someone who has a c**t to steal from you.

The whole ordeal could have been avoided if the school told the lady keep your hands off of his toy. The school failed both their employee and their student.

Inadequate supports were provided to the student. Inadequate training was given to the teacher's aide. His IEP said she wasn't supposed to take his electronic devices or shame him in front of others.

You're talking about someone with the emotional maturity of a four year old responding to being stolen from by someone who should have known better. I don't blame the kid, I blame the school for failing to adequately communicate why stealing from him was not a matter of enforcing rules and was not acceptable.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Aug 2024, 5:00 am

! Cornflake wrote:
Now an attack has been launched, and addressed - let's leave it at that, Ok?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2024, 12:13 am

They were too kind with giving that sentence.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2024, 5:25 am

This happens in the UK a lot but the truth of why is rarely told.

Basically a severely autistic person has some kind of meltdown where there is either the threat of aggression or some minor violence and they are gone for years.

No trial no sentence date locked up for ever

There’s thousands of autistic people locked up like this right now.

It’s been mentioned a few times in the press as a concern but when ever the issue comes up it’s quietly forgotten.

I believe it’s because they can’t solve the issue, these people are too disabled and potentially violent to live with families or in society so where else do they put them.

Anyone politician addressing this hits this impenetrable fact.

- George Bernie Shaw