Why Are Autistic Children at a Higher Risk of Drowning?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 11:13 am

Newsweek

Quote:
Drowning is the leading cause of death for autistic children, according to a study from Columbia University, and people with autism are 160 times more likely to drown than their neurotypical peers, according to the Autism Society of America.

Beckie Geddie, Director of Marketing at the Autism Society of America, explained to Newsweek that, "Autistic people are at higher risk of drowning due to the high incidence of wandering."

Roughly 50 percent of people with autism will wander of have wandered, according to a study from the Kennedy Krieger Institute.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) describes wandering or elopement as "when someone leaves a safe area or a responsible caregiver." Wandering affects individuals who have disabilities, such as autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or an intellectual disability (ID). In a study from Autism Speaks, the charity explains that "wandering by children with autism is common, dangerous and puts tremendous stress on families."

Geddie explained to Newsweek that, "When a person with Autism has wandered, they may be in a heightened state of arousal, altering their ability to determine what is safe or unsafe." Geddie added that, "This means that the individual could unknowingly put themselves in a dangerous situation, especially when wandering towards water."

Tonya Haynes, a professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis in the College of Nursing, told Newsweek that, "Autism is a developmental disability that tends to result in brain differences."

“Because of those differences in brain functioning and brain development, sensory processing, children and individuals with autism tend to process things differently."

Haynes, who is also the Champion of Change for Autism Speaks, added that, "There may not be that heightened awareness of danger and understanding of safety, for example, and appreciation of the variation in water depth."

Are There Specific Behaviors or Conditions That Contribute to This Increased Risk?
"A diagnosis in itself, of autism, is a risk factor." Haynes told Newsweek. "If the child has a certain interest, if a child is in an environment where there is something of interest that puts the child at increased risk for elopement or wandering, especially near bodies of water or swimming pools," Haynes said.

Rising temperatures cause a rise in risk factors for autistic children.

There is an uptick in wandering tragedies during summer months," Francesca Cascardo of Autism Speaks told Newsweek. "As the weather warms up there is a natural increase in availability of recreational bodies of water like pools or trips to the beach."

Geddie and Haynes both told Newsweek that water can be calming to children with autism. This fact is also emphasized in the report from Columbia University, which quotes Dr Guoha Li as stating, "With impaired communication and social skills, autistic kids tend to seek relief of their heightened anxiety from the serenity of water bodies. Unfortunately, this behavior too often leads to tragedies."

What Preventative Measures Can Be Taken?
Preventive measures outlined to Newsweek by Geddie and Haynes include:

Use layers of protection: pool fences, enclosures, door alarms or signals on water sources.

Persons can wear bracelets or pins that identify their condition.

Utilize a water watcher or go in areas where lifeguards are on duty.

GPS technology can be used for at risk persons.

Use a lifejacket, especially if the person is not competent in water.

Geddie added that people should be able to swim or at least be water competent. She added that the public should also learn CPR.

Geddie noted that risks extend beyond bodies of water, and told Newsweek that, "Additional risks include events with a lot of people, high traffic areas, wooded areas, canals, easily opened or climbable fence[s], retention ponds and more."

A definite scare article, too many quotes from Autism Speaks and 160 times drowning rate deaths compared with NT’s seems extreme. Also since the hyperlink links to other Newsweek stories not the study I have no way of knowing if the extreme rate is what the actual study says.

Despite all the caveats Autistic children wandering and drowning is are real issues. The explanations given seem reasonable.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 11:30 am

I don't know about other autistic children, but when I was a kid I loved the water and I really can't remember not knowing how to swim.

But even people who can swim really well sometimes drown, anyway.

I think the reason was because I felt so awkward and like "a fish out of water" when I was on land.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 11:34 am

Because autistic kids love to swim and the more time you spend in the water, the more likely you are to drown.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 12:05 pm

I nearly drowned more than once as a kid. :nerdy:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 12:55 pm

The elopement aspects -- meaning wanting to explore alone, or self regulate elsewhere.
Because company can be so clueless or/and suffocating and the environment doesn't help.

Sure, there's being impulsive or apathetic or both towards whatever company they're with enough to just do that.

Ranging from whatever intellectual disabilities or developmental delays related to self preservation that lead them into some sort of fearlessness.

To dive in?
Well, if they're sensory seeking, why not?
If they just want to play, like most kids, why not?

As for falling...
Other than aforementioned developmental delays or intellectual disabilities -- of course, clumsiness and spatial awareness can be quite a factor especially in something so young.

Less self preservation?
Also meant less reflexes in survival. Not just the inaccessibility of physical or mental comprehension of the situation itself.

If not less self preservation along with cognitive issues and physicality?
Then there's too much anxiety instead, obviously, can spell a kid, or anyone in similar positions, doom while panicking.

:lol: Sigh.
This is old news to me. Really. Seen it countless times in the internet.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.