Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2024, 10:15 pm

What kind of diets have you been on and how successful were they?

Any diet, not just weight loss

Fodmaps

Latimeria
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2024, 2:34 pm

I've done the best with these:

(1) Vegan diet except for 3 ounces of fatty fish per day like salmon, sardines, etc. Processed foods are eaten in moderation, focus is on whole grains and vegetables. I had no breakfast, small lunch with the fish and usually a tortilla, and then a large dinner and lost weight consistently until I hit an ideal weight range.

(2) Vegan diet with daily soy milk, algae oil supplement, multivitamin primarily for B12 and Vitamin D, and a choline supplement, while averaging 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil per day. Processed foods basically absent, but lots of homemade bread and peanuts. Eventually I started trying to include more pigmented fruits/vegetables, both for antioxidants and because I was advised to try to eat colors that correspond to the 5 elements in Chinese culture. Soy milk + supplements was cheaper than the fish and meant fewer animals suffering.

(3) A 95% strict whole food diet vegan diet, but eat what other people are eating in group settings. The same supplements as before, but averaging 0-.5 tablespoons of cooking oil per day. I started eating breakfast, which led to more morning energy, and tried to skip dinner or at least eat a small dinner. Soy milk was eventually replaced by soybeans to save money. Sometimes I do things like making walnut milk since it's easy and costs like $3.50 a gallon, but otherwise essential fats are mainly from flax and chia combined with soybeans. Instead of bread, I eat grains that are in tact like oat groats, barley groats, quinoa, unmilled rye, popcorn, etc.

#3 basically eliminated issues with hunger and has been good for energy and overall health. If I did something like strength training or long distance running then I think I would just eat more soybeans and lentils, but I seem to do okay with 60-75g of protein. I think this would be enough for most people and is less important than biologically active antioxidants like in green and purple cabbage.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2024, 10:17 pm

i tried keto once
it was good but i wasn't seeing results so i stopped
i have a limited food budget and meat is expensive, i don't like avocado which is a staple in the diet
my biggest takeaway is that i miss bread when it's not around and coffee with butter (bulletproof coffee they call it) is a tasty indulgence
also been incorporating more dietary fats in my diet since then because i feel better when i consume them

jennrowland
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2024, 10:46 am

I've tried different diets I found online, which guaranteed fast weight loss. I was young and tried those useless and harmful diets, and of course, I was just feeling bad.
Some time ago, I tried keto, and it was not bad. I saw some results, but it was mentally hard for me, so I stopped.
Now, I'm dealing with some things in my life, so there is no place to eat. I just eat what I really like: 80% clean food and 20% different pastries, chocolate, and so on.
It works for me

Bestiola
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Aug 2024, 11:08 am

High protein plant-based food, aka vegan, with vegan protein supplements, cashew butter and lots of soy milk, with some elements of Mind diet (extra emphasis on green leafy vegetables, walnuts, olive oil, berries, algal omega oil supplements etc). No junk food, minimally processed food. Keeps me quite full and satisfied.

LittleBeach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2024, 11:15 am

I do 5:2 intermittent fasting, where I eat around 600 calories two days a week, and eat normally on other days a week.

I like it because it doesn’t require much planning, and I don’t feel too guilty if I overindulge on some days.

I’m not really losing weight, but my weight isn’t increasing, so I’m happy with the result.

xzpkr_apoxia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2024, 11:40 pm

Controversial diet criticise me all you want, you can try all you like to coerce me into piling on an extra 10 lbs or so but you probably wouldn't get far because of ED

Height (centimetres) = 170 Weight (kilogram's) = 47 give or take (last time I checked it was 45.2 kg but for the past few days I've been too scared to weigh myself because I've been eating 2300 kcal a day on average, considerably more than what I used to eat)

Breakfast = Cereal (most likely fruit and fiber, frosties, or fruit loops) with unsweetened soy milk
Lunch = Protein bar or flapjack
Dinner = 200-400 kcal per serving instant noodles
Snacks = Cigarettes, sugar-free red bull, diet coke, diet lemonade, rice cakes, dark chocolate, onion rings, buttered toast, lotus biscoff, beetroot, carrots, love hearts

Exercise = 10,000 steps a day exercise bike 5x a week mountain bike 3x a week

I would ideally like to have a BMI in the 15-16 range (circa 44 to 46 kilos for my height), I look really skinny but not disturbingly emaciated Eugenia Cooney style and 15 looks like a nicer number than 16 for some reason, although I am concerned about a malnutrition heart attack I know it would be wise of me to gain to 17.5-21.0 BMI to find a compromise between thinness and health but I'm too cowardly for a lack of better word (no, maybe I'm not a coward, the relapse is difficult to control)

Реальность меня бесит )))))

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 7:28 pm

I try to minimise processed food and sugar.
Bread without emulsifiers or preservatives, minimal cured meats, try to avoid take-out, etc.
But I am still having issues with my gut :(

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 7:59 pm

I've been pescatarian (vegetarian who eats fish) for over 25 years. I've been avoiding gluten for over 10 years. I take quite a few supplements. But nothing about my diet except avoiding gluten has helped my chronic fatigue, which has been really terrible. I've never had a noticeable effect from a supplement.

Elwyn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Sep 2024, 11:00 pm

I was a vegetarian for 10 years, and vegan for 5 years. I now eat a whole foods diet that includes eggs sometimes, and I eat meat now 1-2 times per week. I am dairy free. I feel great eating this way.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2024, 4:06 am

I've put myself on a liquid diet to try and clear up gut issues.
Lots of broth from meat and veggies, some fruit juice, milk.
I hadn't intended including milk but got so hungry.
I think this kind of diet is only OK for 3-5 days max. as it doesn't provide enough nutrients. Bit of a last resort.

Pink Zeppelin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Sep 2024, 10:10 am

Been on a low fat diet off and on (mostly on) for 30 years now. Seems to have worked pretty good, as I lost a good deal of weight and for the most part have kept it off. Did put some back on with antidepressants but when I quit those the weight came off again. If you are eating low fat you are usually eating pretty good foods unless you load up on sugary candy that is low fat.

quixotic.kaya
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Oct 2024, 12:32 pm

I did raw veganism for a long time, but it's far less sustainable when you have a family than when you're single... Unless you find a partner who is also a raw vegan.

On completely the other side of things, I have done "no carb," which was basically meat, eggs, and butter for nearly a year, and I looked GREAT. It's a much easier diet to stay on for social reasons. Restaurants have meat. They don't always have vegan options. When you're a raw vegan, iceberg, tomatoes, onions, and unpeeled cucumber slices do not make an acceptable salad. :lol:

Read me on Medium