Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2024, 3:07 am

I started to watch "Lost" two days ago (it appeared on Polish Netflix then and I always wanted to watch it because I had heard a lot of positive opinions on it) and I have watched so far 13 episodes of the first season. And this is, I admit, an interesting TV show but I do have to admit too on the other hand, that the show doesn't seem as interesting yet as its diehard fans claim it to be. I mean, I expected something really extraordinary. Are the next seasons going to be better - you know, when the Man in Black and Dharma show up? Have you watched the show and what do you think of it?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2024, 3:21 am

Irulan wrote:
I started to watch "Lost" two days ago (it appeared on Polish Netflix then and I always wanted to watch it because I had heard a lot of positive opinions on it) and I have watched so far 13 episodes of the first season. And this is, I admit, an interesting TV show but I do have to admit too on the other hand, that the show doesn't seem as interesting yet as its diehard fans claim it to be. I mean, I expected something really extraordinary. Are the next seasons going to be better - you know, when the Man in Black and Dharma show up? Have you watched the show and what do you think of it?

I used to like lost with the first few seasons, but yeah unforunately it never seemed to get to the conclusion of things idk, its better using your time to watch star trek in my opionion. Lost is a lost cause of a show, it had some good potential early on but went downhill after the first few seasons.

Star Trek from next generation and beyond is way better.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2024, 3:51 am

I watch Star Trek: TNG on Netflix too :D And I love it :D But I am going to watch the whole rest of the Lost episodes too because I like it as well - though as I do admit, I expected something really extraordinary.

angelsonthemoon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2024, 10:25 am

The great thing about Lost is its characters. I believe it was the first show to have every episode delve into the past of a character, so there was a lot of emotional development and surprises through that. Some shows copied that exact idea like Disney's Once Upon A Time.

The majority of shows were influenced more broadly by its use of an ensemble cast. Prior to Lost, most shows had one lead or occasionally a small group of leads, very few had a large cast of highly involved characters. Modern viewers are so used to ensemble casts that it may be difficult to appreciate how much Lost changed the game. But to Lost fans, Lost still has some of the best characters and character moments.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 4:48 am

Yes, I already noticed this - that every episode delve into the past of a character of the show. Thanks to this, we can find out more about said character. They are so different from each other - and so fascinating due to this. I can't wait to see what the future episodes hold for me :)

angelsonthemoon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Aug 2024, 9:50 am

They did do a really good job having different characters and making them so memorable. Lost is a favorite for me and my mom as well, not sure which of us liked it more. I think it's one of the best at getting you to care about the characters. :)

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 4:18 pm

So far there is just quite a tiny group of the "islanders" who got introduced to us - there are like about 45 people who landed on the island after the plane crash yet just several of them were introduced via the retrospections - like Hurley, Locke, Jack, Claire, Kate, Shannon, Sayid, Boone, Sawyer, Michael, Sun and Jin - that's, I believe alraedy all of those we know so far (I have watched 19 first episodes as of now). Will we come to know more of them (like Rose for example) in the future? You know, those folks who are not as important for the plot as the ones mentioned by me?

angelsonthemoon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Aug 2024, 4:34 pm

I think Rose does get an episode later. My memory isn't perfect since it's been a long time, but it is mainly about the large core cast first introduced. More characters become part of the core cast in future seasons including favorites like Juliet. I shouldn't say too much though since it's better not to be spoiled on it.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 4:42 pm

I don't mind spoilers :D I actually even didn't think specifically about Rose as such, I just gave her name as an example of such a person who doesn't belong to the core cast first introduced as you said. I just wanted to know if the "not the core cast" folks are also going to get some screen time. I will have to wait though to see who Juliet is :)

angelsonthemoon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Aug 2024, 8:41 pm

Juliet is in season 3. I don't remember everything, but the show has many twists and turns. Hope you have a fun time with it. :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 9:40 pm

I've never had any interest in it.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2024, 4:42 pm

So far, the saddest thing about "Lost" was Boone's death 8O Seriously, I didn't expect he was going to die in such a horrible way. Now I'm getting closer to the second season and I started to like the series much more :)

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2024, 3:13 pm

It's a show that tends to divide people. When it originally aired my recollection is that people liked the first season then got frustrated when the finale and season 2 made it clear that answers to the core 'mysteries' weren't coming any time soon. And many decided that the writers didn't know the answers and were just stringing people along.

To that end its a lot like Twin Peaks.

Personally, I loved it right up until the last season which was, undeniably, disappointing.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2024, 4:17 pm

I think the second season is MUCH more interesting than the first one. Btw, have you seen "From"? It's another TV show made by the makers of "Lost", a horror TV show. So far, two seasons got made but the fans of it are complaining the writers most likely don't know the answers to the questions from both the seasons either. I also do think too many things are happening in the second season at one go, too.

Btw, it is shocking to me that so many characters from "Lost" are killed off by the writers so unexpectedly - like for example Shannon 8O At first her foster brother and now her. It seems no one can be safe. So far, personally I like Ana-Lucia and Jack most but I can't stand Sawyer, what an annoying dude (though even he has some specific charm).

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2024, 4:33 pm

I had to look it up to remind myself but I did watch a few episodes of From. I can't remember why I stopped watching it.

I agree with you that the second season of Lost was more interesting. To me at least. That's when it really got going for me.

But I really felt that the fourth season was the best. When they had to cut down the number of episodes because of the writers strikes. It felt really tightly plotted that season. Fewer tangential episodes.

And that season featured the most shocking and unexpected death I thought. But I won't spoil it for you.

I've watched it all twice I think. When it first aired, then a rewatch a number of years ago. I'll watch it again one day, when I've forgotten more of it.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2024, 5:01 pm

I watched it thru a few times around a decade ago. It had its good moments, but the ending was a complete disappointing cop-out. I wanted something interesting or different, & it was just an expected waste.