What resources do you feel neurodivergent adults need most?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HPfan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2024, 3:44 pm

I'm doing a school project and wanted to have it be on neurodiversity and increasing resources for neurodivergent adults since neurodiversity and psychology are some of my special interests and I think that it's important to increase resources for people. So I thought that I would ask if anyone had anything that they thought was a priority resource or accommodation. Any suggestions would be super helpful!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2024, 5:52 pm

HPfan wrote:
What resources do you feel neurodivergent adults need most?
It is going to depend on the ND adult.  I, for one, need only my wife, our cat, and the basics (food, shelter, et cetera), plus a peaceful environment, pizza, donuts, coffee, and chocolate-chip cookies.

And no surprises!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2024, 9:02 pm

Everything executive function.

Solve that right, a lot will follow (self-care, healing/coping, daily living, socialization, work, relationships, support -- whatever domain the ND adult would choose)

Especially for any negative effects of neurodivergence in general is generally about executive dysfunction.
And the workarounds of any if not most conditions are almost always about having a reliable executive functions. Even NTs could benefit.

Socialization, behavioral, emotional, and learning issues are just this 'primary front' that distinguishes which label is which...
The offset many issues or even the issue that interferes any coping is almost always related to executive function.

By everything executive function, it is not limited to organizing and memorization strategies.
This also includes self regulation or any way to make this area easy.

This includes options of overcoming executive dysfunction interferences like hidden emotional hung ups, not just carrying it and only coping with it.

This also includes the biological basis related to one's executive dysfunction like how it is with meds, hormones, diet and activity; whether it's pure adhd or diabetes of the brain...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 5:56 am

Job search related services that offer work experiences. Getting me to make cold calls is like pulling teeth.

HPfan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Aug 2024, 1:33 pm

Thank you, I'm a teenager so I don't know the full scope of difficulties in adulthood yet, so those are all really helpful!

LittleBeach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2024, 3:19 pm

Public websites providing step by step clear information about basic life skills.

E.g.
How to catch a bus/train
How to use services at a bank/library
How to fill out tax forms

Usually the solutions to not knowing how to do these things are “ask someone”, which is difficult for those with autism who are more comfortable with clear instructions up front.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 4:44 pm

Recognition beyond the stereotypes. Without that the others won’t happen.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 5:04 pm

It is almost impossible to find competent professionals to diagnose adults, funding and testing is predominantly aimed at children under age 6 but generations of autistic people, now adults are just discovering autism and considering whether they too, might be autistic. For most people in the USA over 21 finding neuropsychologist or psychologist who has any experience at all diagnosing or working with autistic adults is almost impossible.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 7:42 pm

- Diagnostics
- Follow-up therapy (OT, SW, Psych)
- Job skills and coaching for interviews
- Interpersonal relationship coaching
- Conflict resolution support
- Legal services (for divorce, custody of children, assault)
- Medical support for those scared to make appointments
- TTY Relay services for making phone calls
- Service animals
- Sensory equipment (ear defenders etc.)
- Money management for those with ADHD impulsivity
- Basic info on self-care (cooking, cleaning, living alone)

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 8:29 pm

Advocacy outreach.

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2024, 4:43 am

HPfan wrote:
Thank you, I'm a teenager so I don't know the full scope of difficulties in adulthood yet, so those are all really helpful!

Neither do I, and I'm 60. :D

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2024, 4:47 am

Seriously though. For me it would be diversity training in the workplace to include autism awareness.

Everybody 'knows' why a person in a wheelchair cannot use the stairs, or why a Deaf person cannot hear a telephone ringing. I'd like it also to be taught why e.g. an autistic person might not be able to work in an office without wearing headphones, or why an autistic person might be uncomfortable making phone calls or being expected to participate in office social events.

notboston
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Aug 2024, 11:09 am

Vocation, avocation, and exercise.
Everyone needs work for themselves, work for everyone else, and work to shake off the excess energy of the day.

The biggest enemy of me is the amount of energy I bring into my bed.

WolfStarEternal
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Aug 2024, 2:43 pm

HPfan wrote:
I'm doing a school project and wanted to have it be on neurodiversity and increasing resources for neurodivergent adults since neurodiversity and psychology are some of my special interests and I think that it's important to increase resources for people. So I thought that I would ask if anyone had anything that they thought was a priority resource or accommodation. Any suggestions would be super helpful!

SOCIAL GROUPS! Its very difficult to find social groups for those that are adults upon the spectrum over the age of 35. It would be great to meet with other adults and peers just as teenagers do to be able to discuss our own events and experiences in our lives .
Alot of people forget that ADULTS with autism exist in the world. Alot of events and pages and things are geared towards under 25, we do grow old lol like every other living thing on this planet lol

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2024, 3:24 pm

WolfStarEternal wrote:
We do grow old lol like every other living thing on this planet lol

You ain't there yet kid!

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2024, 3:47 pm

WolfStarEternal wrote:
HPfan wrote:

SOCIAL GROUPS! Its very difficult to find social groups for those that are adults upon the spectrum over the age of 35. It would be great to meet with other adults and peers just as teenagers do to be able to discuss our own events and experiences in our lives .
Alot of people forget that ADULTS with autism exist in the world. Alot of events and pages and things are geared towards under 25, we do grow old lol like every other living thing on this planet lol

Basically this. There are no communities, social groups, etc. Nothing where i live for high functioning autistic people