Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

arjen37
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2024, 8:25 am

Hi all,

I am Arjen, 49, from the Netherlands. In 2012 diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I also recognize myself in ADD and Alexithymia. Divorced, father of two girls, young adults now, also with autisme spectrum disorder diagnosis.

I work over 25 years as a software engineer, the last 21 years for the same company. Bit of luck they accept me the way I am.

Also I volunteer for several Dutch organisations in the autisme area. For those I arrange meetings for adults with autism, help handing out information, sometimes give a presentation about my life with autism, I manage a large Facebook group on autism and have my own site with a lot of information about autism.

Question? Feel free to ask.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 9:49 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 10:06 am

Hey

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 3:53 pm

Welcome Arjen!

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Last edited by Brian0787 on 20 Aug 2024, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 3:55 pm

Ahoy-hoy.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 4:07 pm

Welcome to WP :mrgreen:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 4:21 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you'll be able to share some insights where they can help.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 6:30 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2024, 7:48 am

welcome, hope you find what you need. Glad you are with us.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2024, 9:36 am

arjen37, Welcome to the Site.

You mentioned that you have Asperger's Syndrome (Aspie) for short. I have that condition. But this condition is not all negatives. It also gives me many positive qualities. Many people with Asperger's have high I.Q. and some of the most brilliant scientist, doctors, writers, musicians, inventors, story tellers also are Aspies (in my humble opinion).

You talked about another one of your conditions Alexithymia. According to Wikipedia:

Alexithymia, also called emotional blindness, is a neuropsychological phenomenon characterized by significant challenges in recognizing, expressing, sourcing, and describing one's emotions.

So I guess using that definition I also have this quality. I tend to see this condition displayed in films and movies. In the original Star Trek series, I would fit in as Mr. Spock.

arjen37
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Sep 2024, 3:07 pm

Thank you all for your welcome. I forgot to turn on notification, so I just saw your messages.

Aspie/ASD for sure is not all negatives. We just have a mind wired different from the general population. Which sometimes gives trouble in understanding (both ways, also known as the Double Empathy Problem), but also can give new insights in things. When people see our strengths we can grow infinite.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2024, 7:42 am

arjen37 In my humble opinion the human brain is a very complex organism. This is because we have multiple brains that coexist within us.

One book that I found very interesting was a book by Jill Bolte Taylor called Whole Brain Living. She almost died from a massive stroke at around age 35. It split around the middle of her brain. She came back as a very different person, a right side of her brain person rather then the normal left side dominant person. It was a very interesting book to read and may help you understand more about who you are.