Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

WolfStarEternal
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Aug 2024, 4:16 pm

So it's a daily struggle for me with my ADHD and my ASD. I crave routine and need that structure in my life but I also self-sabotage it due to my ADHD being so darn impulsive at times. I will create a good schedule a great routine even with Varity in it and find myself constantly forgetting to due things on my "to do" list or literally just giving up on the schedule and routine all together and trying to wing it.
Which in return sends me into meltdown mode because i become so overwhelmed with everything.

To top it off the sensory issues..ugh...ADHD i love sensory input ASD i like to be mellow...

Anyone else struggle with the back and forth of comorbid issues?

I feel like all i do is chase my own tail, while trying to figure out how everyone has everything so put together. I'm an adult yet feel like I'm stuck as a teenager or much younger version of where i should be ; another words i need an adult to help me adult still in my life. lol

i feel so far behind my peers like I'm still learning where everyone around my age has their life pretty much down and knows the "rules" of this whole "life game". I dont fit in with anyone my age either its as if my peer group would be 10 to 15 years younger than myself in certain regards.

anyone else find this?

GameCube
Raven
Raven

24 Aug 2024, 11:50 pm

I can relate. I also have ADHD and ASD and they both sort of battle each other. I learned to accept them for what they are and deal with the symptoms when they occur. If I crave some spontaneity and I'm very energetic I'll give into my ADHD, if I am looking for time to be alone and I'm dealing with sensory overload I'll be giving in to my Autism.

I also find it hard to work with a schedule, I recently got one to work, but then I started taking courses on digital media which I am very interested in. My ADHD and hyperfocus took over and the whole schedule went out the window. But, I don't see this as a bad thing. I view it as my ADHD doing what it does best and I have very happy with the quality of my work.

I don't have everything put together in the sense a lot of people my age do, but it is what works for me and I don't compare the way I live my life to other people. I used to feel very lost and behind as well, but I've learned its best to just live with what works for me and focus on my wellbeing and values.

WolfStarEternal
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Aug 2024, 6:46 pm

GameCube wrote:
I can relate. I also have ADHD and ASD and they both sort of battle each other. I learned to accept them for what they are and deal with the symptoms when they occur. If I crave some spontaneity and I'm very energetic I'll give into my ADHD, if I am looking for time to be alone and I'm dealing with sensory overload I'll be giving in to my Autism.

I also find it hard to work with a schedule, I recently got one to work, but then I started taking courses on digital media which I am very interested in. My ADHD and hyperfocus took over and the whole schedule went out the window. But, I don't see this as a bad thing. I view it as my ADHD doing what it does best and I have very happy with the quality of my work.

I don't have everything put together in the sense a lot of people my age do, but it is what works for me and I don't compare the way I live my life to other people. I used to feel very lost and behind as well, but I've learned its best to just live with what works for me and focus on my wellbeing and values.

thanks for replying seems we have the same or at least similar issues/advantages/disadvantages when it comes to ASD/ADHD :heart:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2024, 7:33 am

My ADHD and ASD have signed a non-aggression pact.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

WolfStarEternal
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Aug 2024, 4:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
My ADHD and ASD have signed a non-aggression pact.

mine need too :lol: :roll:

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2024, 7:05 pm

I was diagnosed with Asperger’s as a child and Inattentive ADHD as an adult, which means I have little to no hyperactivity. They work well together in the right situations. As long as I am working alone with no distractions, I can pretty much accomplish whatever I hyperfocus on.

One of my supervisors at work once told someone higher in the chain of command that I can “move mountains” when I work alone, I found that quite flattering.

Harmonie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2024, 9:38 pm

I interpreted the title in a more literal battle/vs. topic and I was like "Okay, but when you have both, they already do that internally lol".

I was diagnosed with ADHD and suspect that I also have autism.

I am very routine. I eat and drink the exact same items (save for what I eat for dinner) in the same order every single day, for example. I like jobs where that are very routine and I can get very upset if that routine gets interrupted, to the point of meltdowns... Now it's weird, because it can be kinda hard to find a contradiction here. In fact, it's very odd for someone ADHD to have such a trait to begin with, isn't it? Well, I think the contradiction is that routines also burn me out. I get burnt out very easily, but at the same time I hate interruptions to routine. lol.

The biggest contradiction I see in myself that might be related is me and socializing versus being alone. I've never thought of myself as an introvert, in fact, but a friend told me I was and I've had to reflect on that. In reality, I'm very contradictory.

I am someone who likes space and gets very upset if too much time passes where I do not have my own alone time without people bursting that bubble. I can spend long periods of time alone and be happy. However, I also feel like I can be very social. To the point of being "annoying". Socially that has been my experience my whole life - I try to socialize and make a group of friends, but I guess I go over-the-top, get too clingy, am inappropriate or whatever and get called "annoying" and I lose the friendship. I have masked that part of me and the recluse side of me has taken over for the most part, but it's still there. And the weird thing is when I'm with a friend or family member I feel comfortable with, my social fatigue not only functions differently but can almost disappear. I experienced this when I went out with a friend and her family on a trip a couple of years ago. I never felt burnt out from talking to her. Most of my alone time was at night when I went to bed. When we parted at the end of the trip, I was so sad about it, I cried.

I don't get it... That's quite contradictory, I'd say.