Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2024, 10:35 am

Hi All, For those who love Math or old math textbooks I found a neat YouTube channel named "The Math Sorcerer" who goes over different textbooks he collects. Some of them are from Russia (Soviet Union at the time it was published) and it's just neat to see their textbooks. Really, really neat channel and just wanted to post it for those interested in taking a look. Alot of it is above my level but it's still neat to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheMathSorcerer

Here is his latest video.

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2024, 7:39 am

I think I would've loved math more if I have better language comprehension and cognitive verbal processing overall...

Whenever I read some math book, and I found something I finally understand, no longer feel like I'm lost in whatever abstract description, missing several contexts after countless times of asking definitions in the internet and 30+ times reading a specific page, it gave me joy.

However, infuriatingly slow to learn. :?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 6:37 am

Edna3362 wrote:
I think I would've loved math more if I have better language comprehension and cognitive verbal processing overall...

Whenever I read some math book, and I found something I finally understand, no longer feel like I'm lost in whatever abstract description, missing several contexts after countless times of asking definitions in the internet and 30+ times reading a specific page, it gave me joy.

However, infuriatingly slow to learn. :?

It sometimes takes time and practice to understand when you're going through the textbooks but it can be infuriating too! It's easy to feel lost sometimes when you're looking at the textbook. The more problems and practice you do though I think the better you get. I am definitely out of practice compared to years ago. Wish I would have kept up on it more but just never had to apply it to my job that much besides simple math. I thought about one day taking some math courses in Community College once I get some other courses I need to take out of the way.

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.