Cancellation of Star Wars the Acolyte Season 2

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 4:54 pm

Anyone surprised or have any thoughts about the decision by Disney not to renew the Acolyte for a second season?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 4:56 pm

Hopefully this will lead to less oversaturation from the Star Wars franchise.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 5:09 pm

I think the fandom don't mind regular content, the problem has been Disney have strangely continued to produced a string of high budget low quality products which have bombed. the conventional belief is this is due to Kathleen Kennedy's attempt to subterfuge George Lucas's canon from his books by stamping her own take on what the star wars universe should be.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 5:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I think the fandom don't mind regular content, the problem has been Disney have strangely continued to produced a string of high budget low quality products which have bombed. the conventional belief is this is due to Kathleen Kennedy's attempt to subterfuge George Lucas's canon from his books by stamping her own take on what the star wars universe should be.

I think the more they treat it the way you describe, the more fans they turn into former fans.

The more turnover into former fans without replacement with new fans, the less valuable the Star Wars franchise becomes.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 6:37 pm

Not surprised.  "Force Fatigue" I think it's called.

There is already enough SW content out there to keep most fans occupied.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 11:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
There is already enough SW content out there to keep most fans occupied.

the content is getting stale though. there is only so many times you can re-watch Clone Wars.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 11:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I think the more they treat it the way you describe, the more fans they turn into former fans.

The more turnover into former fans without replacement with new fans, the less valuable the Star Wars franchise becomes.

I think Disney CEO Bob Iger knows the business model but the problem has been Kathleen Kennedy is very powerful within Disney and she seems to making decisions in terms of choosing writers/directors that have created stories with no relatable continuity with the pre-existing Star wars universe, poor casting and terrible writing. Her connections to powerful moguls like disgraced Harvey Weinstein should be looked at given her weird decision to give his former assistant (who has never said a bad word about Harvey) Lesley Hedland the job of making the Acolyte. Kennedy has is rumoured to have said she will only step down if she creates one great series in the franchise. Given her current track record that seems unlikely, although I am not sure why she doesn't take credit for Andor S1 and the Mandalorian?

Timburton
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2024, 12:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Anyone surprised or have any thoughts about the decision by Disney not to renew the Acolyte for a second season?

It sucked.

In Hollywood, they think drawn animation doesn't work anymore, computers are the way. They forget that the reason computers are the way is that Pixar makes good movies. So everybody tries to copy Pixar. They're relying too much on the technology and not enough on the artists.

Tim Burton

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2024, 1:56 pm

Timburton wrote:
It sucked.

This from the man who directed the live action Dumbo and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory remake.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2024, 4:11 pm

Timburton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

It sucked.

and?

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2024, 4:25 pm

For a budget of hundreds of millions of dollars, it wasn't impressive. The lead actress couldn't emote in a lot of her scenes. It also didn't help that her diss track attacking fans who criticize the show made even more fans quit the show. The decline in ratings, the viewership at the end made Disney realize how much money they burned vs how much they got back. The show was cancelled and despite a campaign to save the show, where were these people before? The amount of people who support this show now does not equal the viewership the show actually got. Disney chased away all its fans that they don't really give a damn. They're burnt out from being blamed for a show or movie's failure all the time.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2024, 4:55 pm

I think there was some level of unequal treatment though. I read through the fan posts on social media and much of the heat was heavily aimed at Amandla Stenberg, Charlie Barnett and Jodie-turner Smith whereas the performances of Carrie Anne Moss, Many Jacinto and Lee Jung-Jae were praised. It doesn't take a genius to know why.

Star wars fans have been playing the "Disney is woke" card for some time since Finn took of his helmet in the trailer for the "Force Awakens" causing a mini-uprising that they were a) casting a black man as a clone trooper and b) he was pitched as the main character. those of us who followed Disney's casting know that Finn's character was diluted out in the latter episodes to appease audiences indicating Disney were experimenting with casting to see how the fandom reacted.

I do think Kathleen Kennedy has taken it as a challenge to go against the fans because she wants to be independent and not beholden to what she perceives to be "toxic males" who dominate the fandom. But her choices for writing/production have missed, the writers and producers overlook the importance of lore, illustrated by the weird re-writing of Star wars canon in order to fit Kiadi Mundi into a time period years before he was born. I don't know what the writers were thinking.

Should Amandla have done the "diss" track? she is a young woman being racially and sexually vilified from many fans so she naturally wanted to clap back. I personally preferred her acting to Lee Jung-Jae's.

So did Disney do a poor job with the Acolyte given their huge budget, a unanimous yes, but the fans as a whole need to grow up and leave the actors alone.