Deeper Dive Into the Real Meaning of Freedom

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 10:53 am

Quote:
Thank you for sharing. Even though your opinions are purely subjective (and mostly incorrect), they do give insight into the mindset of a person who prefers working in the oppressive Chinese business environment instead of the freer working environment in the Land of Opportunity -- the good, old U.S. of A.!

Thank you, and have a nice day!

There are people out there in our world who've said similar things to what was said to me in quotes.

And, here is my response to them. Be prepared. It is a rant and it is my subjective opinion based in my experiences and my thinking. You don't have to agree with me. That's fine.

Why I Chose China Over the “Freer” U.S.: A Deeper Dive into the Real Meaning of Freedom

Let’s get one thing straight right off the bat: the so-called "Land of Opportunity" isn’t as free as it claims to be. I’m tired of the same recycled garbage about how the U.S. is the ultimate beacon of freedom and how every other place is some dystopian hellhole. Wake up! The “freedom” you think you have is just a different flavor of the same damn conformity. You don’t think that’s true? Then do us all a favor and actually THINK for once!

Escaping the Hypocrisy of Western "Freedom"

Look, you can romanticize the U.S. all you want, but let’s talk about what freedom actually looks like for those of us who don’t fit neatly into your tidy little boxes. The Western world loves to parade around its so-called "freedom," but what does that actually mean? It means a lot of unspoken rules and expectations. It means corporate ass-kissing and "soft skills" and pretending to be someone you're not just to keep a roof over your head. Where’s the freedom in that? It’s all a bunch of fake, phony nonsense. I’d rather take my chances somewhere else where at least the rules are clear-cut, and I know where I stand.

Different Conformity, Different Set of Rules

Yeah, yeah, I know what you’re thinking: “China is more restrictive, more conformist!” Sure, in some ways, that’s true. But here’s the kicker—you know what's even more suffocating? Being trapped in a system that pretends to be one thing while acting like another. At least in China, I’m not expected to play some charade about loving my job or caring about the company’s “mission” or “values.” They don’t pretend to be anything they’re not. They tell you straight-up: here’s what we expect, here are the rules. No BS, no fluff. As a foreigner, I don't have to jump through the same social hoops as the locals; I get to be an outsider. And you know what? There’s freedom in being the outsider.

Being a Foreigner Comes with Its Own Set of Freedoms

You know what’s liberating? Not having to pretend to be something you’re not every damn day. In the U.S., I’m supposed to somehow fit into this mold of the “ideal employee”—happy to be here, eager to please, always smiling like I’ve had a lobotomy. Screw that! In China, as a foreigner, I’m outside the system. I get a certain kind of leeway because I’m not expected to understand every cultural nuance or fit every social norm. I’m judged by a different set of standards, and I can navigate that. I don’t have to deal with the crap of pretending to be someone I’m not just to make a living.

Pragmatism Over Empty Promises

Here’s another cold, hard truth: the U.S. job market is rigged in favor of a certain type of person. If you’re not a Type-A, extroverted ass-kisser who lives to climb the corporate ladder, you’re left in the dust. The whole idea that you can “just be yourself” is total crap. So, when I look at the opportunities in China, I see a place where I can actually build something for myself. Maybe the rules are more rigid, but guess what? They’re clearer. I know the game I’m playing, and I’d rather play by those rules than by some vague, unwritten ones that change with every whim of corporate America.

The “Freer” U.S.? I Call Bullsh*t

Oh, you think the U.S. is so damn free? Sure, if you buy into that lie. But let’s call it what it is—a capitalist free-for-all where the rich get richer and the rest of us are just scrambling to survive. Tell me, where’s the freedom in having to work three jobs just to make rent? Where’s the freedom in having to pretend to be someone you’re not, day in and day out, just to avoid getting fired? You call that freedom? I call that a different kind of prison. At least in China, the bars are visible. You know where the boundaries are. You can work within them or find a way around them, but you don’t have to guess and bend over backward to fit into some BS cultural ideal that doesn’t make sense to begin with.

The Outsider’s Freedom

Yeah, I know some of you think it’s crazy to move to a place that’s “more oppressive.” But that’s your narrow-minded, myopic view. You’re stuck in a binary mindset where everything is either “free” or “not free,” “good” or “bad.” Grow up! Life is more complex than that. Sometimes, the outsider has more freedom than the so-called insider. When you’re not expected to fit in, when you’re not pressured to play by the same social rules, you get to write your own rules. That’s what being in China offers me—room to maneuver without the BS of Western social games.

A Calculated Risk for Real Independence

And don’t get it twisted. I’m not here saying China is perfect. No place is. But if you think I made this move without weighing all the pros and cons, you’re dumber than you look. I’m playing the long game here. I’m building a life where I don’t have to rely on any damn employer or corporate overlord telling me how to think, how to act, or how to be. Maybe it’s not for everyone, but it’s for me. I’d rather take a calculated risk in a different system than rot away in a system that wants to mold me into something I’m not.

Rejecting the Fake Individualism of the West

Some of you love to wax poetic about Western individualism, like it’s the Holy Grail of human existence. But let me ask you this: if that individualism means you’re on your own in a cutthroat system where everyone’s out for themselves, is that really freedom? Is it really independence if it comes at the cost of your mental health, your authenticity, and your peace of mind? I’d rather live somewhere that doesn’t pretend to offer me some dream it can’t deliver. I’d rather carve out my path, my way.

Think Outside the Damn Box

So, before you judge my choices, maybe take a second to actually THINK. Maybe I’m not the crazy one here for choosing what works for me over what’s sold to me. And maybe, just maybe, your “Land of Opportunity” isn’t the paradise you think it is. At least I’m not afraid to step outside the box, challenge the narrative, and make my own damn way. So, keep your narrow-minded judgments to yourself. I’m living life on my terms, and that’s real freedom.

ChicagoLiz
Raven
Raven

08 Sep 2024, 3:00 pm

I recently spent several weeks in a rural part of China, whereas before I had only been to the usual big cities out East.

They're at the stage of capitalism where everyone is eager to live a middle class life. Shops everywhere, and phone apps make buying almost effortless. When you see it in Shanghai it seems normal for a global metropolis, but when you see it in 'tiny' (so much population, even 'towns' are over 1,000,000 people!) towns and cities far from the economic centers, you realize it's permeated the entire culture.

Now, living there is not for me. The surveillance is even more extreme than what we see in the U.S. and the U.K., for example. That's a deal-breaker for me. But they definitely are capitalistic, so anyone who suggests that they aren't is either speaking from ignorance or has an ulterior motive for demonizing the country in that way.

The problem is, the U.S. apparently has to have an equal enemy, and with so many of our politicians and wealthy business owners chumming up to Putin and therefore Russia, we've forgotten where the real danger lies.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2024, 10:23 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Here’s another cold, hard truth: the U.S. job market is rigged in favor of a certain type of person. If you’re not a Type-A, extroverted ass-kisser who lives to climb the corporate ladder, you’re left in the dust. The whole idea that you can “just be yourself” is total crap. So, when I look at the opportunities in China, I see a place where I can actually build something for myself. Maybe the rules are more rigid, but guess what? They’re clearer. I know the game I’m playing, and I’d rather play by those rules than by some vague, unwritten ones that change with every whim of corporate America.

After reading this passage, I have a terrifying guess: it has nothing to do with the system and culture. Being an ass-kisser is the best survival strategy in any stable society. Only in a short period of rapid development can one have the opportunity to choose not to be an ass-kisser, including the United States in the past and China now.
If this is true, it's horrible.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2024, 10:31 pm

belijojo wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

After reading this passage, I have a terrifying guess: it has nothing to do with the system and culture. Being an ass-kisser is the best survival strategy in any stable society. Only in a short period of rapid development can one have the opportunity to choose not to be an ass-kisser, including the United States in the past and China now.
If this is true, it's horrible.

It's true. And, The difference between the US and other nations is what it promotes to be so vs. what it actually says. The US bills itself as though it is this individualistic based culture in which individualism is prized. It is promoted as though one can be true to oneself when that is most certainty not the case. Other societies don't really do that or do that as much. But, what US culture claims to prize is different then what it actually is so. The US preaches exceptionalism but is there really exceptionalism. I don't see it.

Truth is from my perspective is the USA is a conformist society like everyone else. It's just its brand conformity is filled with hypocrisies and contradictions.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2024, 1:26 am

It's not about the system and how lenient or accepting -- it's about how one plays the system.

It's not about the culture and the authorities, it's about how to play along with them. The difference between survival strategy and living is that the latter is a willful experimental game.

All risks are perceived. Even if said risk is an actual threat of death from someone.

Everything, no matter how strict the system is -- made mostly by humans, are very malleable than it seem to be.

In turn, being a human is more malleable than that. What's not being malleable is the ego, the beliefs and all those attachment hiding behind the scenes -- in which can be true to everyone.

:lol: I say true freedom comes from within first. Living on one's own terms implies a more assertive choice, having to realize a choice implies awareness and some accessibility.

Relying on a system to be free implies a more rigid self, which is somewhat true for most autistics in social settings.

Being able to access on a different system implies either greater skill and assertion to take over the whole room, or the prowess to manage to go elsewhere or flat out privilege to go anywhere.

I've been playing with the outsider's freedom in elementary myself, long before I knew what the word being free exists.
I've been outside the box since I was a kid.

:lol: I'm only several levels short of opportunitism. While I can play the social game -- my biggest obstacle is still everything about emotional dysregulation and whatever hidden health related issues...

And also because I hate business. I hate the monetary system. All because of some stupid familial attachment. Need to overcome that first.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2024, 3:46 am

Regarding freedom and China vs. US/other Western countries is that judging China by Western standards is nonsensical. China is not a Western country. Are people happy there? At least some, probably. Would you or I want to live there? Probably not, but apparently some Western people do OK there. But if you insist on judging China by Western standards, Chinese people will just think you're stupid.

BTW I have very little idea what life is like in the Philippines.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2024, 2:55 pm

I agree.

What I've been gathering over the last few decades of my life is effectively something like - freedom = the Red Queen's race. People have to be 'better than' the next person to attract a mate, therefore most people go as far as they can to pull whatever levers they can to raise their status (and considering we're part of the animal kingdom evolution does not care about lying, cheating, or stealing - just head-count of grandkids) and often do so with zero regard to honesty or dishonesty.

Freedom in that context then, absent of meaningful social structure or narrative, quite often means both of the following:

a) Tyranny of the petty and stupid. For example if you don't behave 'just like' people with 90 to 100 IQ you're treading a lot of water not to get exiled from your job and most social circles you might court because your not allowed to say anything that surprises anyone and if you do you look like too much of a potential cluster B or even just competitive risk, at best they won't want you around because they find you unrelatable. I'm also going to say that while I harbor no judgment against people of average intelligence it's the people who are 115+ IQ who behave stupidly and attempt to use the situation as a mugging game try to command armies of dupes - they're the people who are supposed to be part of the solution and instead are too busy lining their pockets.

b) The tighter competition gets the more a certain level of competition is taken for granted and you end up in a place where everyone has to give it their all plus cut into their long-term health to make board. The limits of the average person can put some degree of a cap on that but the absolute 'I'm better than you!' narcissism that gets thrown around over this turns into a social force of condemnation for anyone whose not slaving away 60-80 hours per week.

It just sees like a profoundly stupid way to live and it's something I'm doing my level best to break away from - especially considering that as an autistic I'll be a permanent societal outcast outside of small and well-vetted friends groups (my friend group is small but many if not most are 20+ years) and plus I most likely won't get married or have kids, so it's questionable what they even have to offer someone like me other than commandment to voluntary slavery. I'm not at all saying I have a problem with work in general, it's just when you're not allowed to know what you need to in order to get jobs done or the people appraising the jobs and writing the contracts don't understand what kinds of complexity, let alone third party failures, you'll be running into. It feel like it's a place where everyone's trying to pass accountability on everyone else, most things are built like crap, when it's a third party it's worse because what you're working with is black-boxed, so the hardest part of most jobs is how much you're accountable for that's really other people's behavior and willingness or unwillingness to solve problems.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2024, 6:58 pm

I would say for women and LGBTQ+ people, they would be safer in China, due to communist countries traditionally being hostile to religion.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!