Trump - Bad things will happen if Jews don’t vote for him

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2024, 11:17 pm

Trump warns Jewish voters they’ll be partly to blame if he loses

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump said at an event in Washington aimed at fighting antisemitism on Thursday that if he loses in November, “the Jewish people would have a lot to do with the loss.”

“It doesn’t make sense,” Trump said of Jews who vote for Vice President Kamala Harris. “Any Jewish person who votes for her should have their head examined. I find it hard to believe, part of it is a habit, I think.”

Trump said he should be polling at “100” percent with Jewish voters. “It’s going to happen. It’s only because of the Democrats’ hold or curse on you.”

And after rattling off polling about how he is faring with Jewish voters, Trump said that if he doesn’t win this election, “a lot of bad things will happen,” and warned Israel will be “eradicated.”

Trump made back-to-back speeches in Washington trying to woo Jewish American voters and slamming the rise in antisemitism. His remarks come shortly ahead of the one year anniversary of the Oct. 7 attack by Hamas on Israel that has sparked a bloody conflict in the Middle East and has been a major tension point between centrist Democrats and progressives that Republicans say has opened the door to Jewish support.

In his remarks Thursday, Trump called Oct. 7 “a wake-up call for the entire world” and received a standing ovation when he called on Harris to disavow “all Hamas sympathizers.”

“Get smart. Here we have had the worst outbreak of antisemitism in many generations,” Trump said.

The former president said that he plans to deport “foreign Jihad sympathizers and Hamas supporters” and said he would bring back his administration’s travel ban, which barred entry to the U.S. from a list of Muslim-majority countries.

The former president has sought to portray himself as more supportive of Israel and the Jewish community than Harris and the Democratic Party and has touted his record on Israel as president, including his decision to move the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem, recognizing Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights, and his administration’s work brokering the Abraham Accords, an Arab–Israeli normalization agreement.

But as Trump has tried to win over Jewish voters, he has also insulted some Jewish American leaders and perpetuated what critics say is an antisemitic trope about Jewish Americans having dual loyalties to the U.S. and Israel.

This is what I expected. Why A Reelected Trump Might Cut Off Israel
Quote:
But the real reason will be purely to spite the Jews for voting for the Democrats. For years he has been critical of Jews for not paying back his Israel support. If anything Jewish Voice For Peace and the like will further convince him Jews are wackos that will turn around and stab their own people in the back. Can anybody put it beyond Trump to do that? After all the consensus is that the second Trump administration will be all about revenge.

And that will be why the BDS people, the anti zionists, and yes the antisemites might have their wildest dreams come true from the person they least expected it from.

In hind-site while my OP was on the right track it mistakenly did not discuss what might happen to American Jews.

While he did not literally say bad things will happen to Jews and talked about how bad antisemitism is I have little doubt that this was a threat. As I noted in the thread there are many good reasons to conclude these fears are unjustified. That said since I first learned about the history of the persecution of Jews an important political figure saying stuff like this has been the stuff of nightmares.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 20 Sep 2024, 12:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2024, 11:27 pm

I can't imagine his approach being very appealing. :?

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2024, 11:29 pm

He calls it blame.  I call it credit.

The Jews will get part of the credit
 if  when he loses.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2024, 12:57 am

i have no faith that amuuurican voters will do the right thing. i would be very VERY surprised if they did.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2024, 2:52 am

auntblabby wrote:
i have no faith that amuuurican voters will do the right thing. i would be very VERY surprised if they did.
That's why I'm riding out America's election process in the Philippines.

IF trump wins, then I am already in a better place.

Otherwise, I may be back next spring.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2024, 7:44 pm

Harris campaign, Jewish groups fiercely criticize Trump preemptively blaming Jewish voters if he loses

Quote:
Vice President Kamala Harris' campaign and Jewish advocacy groups on Friday forcefully criticized what they called former President Donald Trump's "dangerous" and "antisemitic" comments saying Jewish voters would be to blame if he lost the presidential election.

"Donald Trump is resorting to the oldest antisemitic tropes in the book because he's weak and can't stand the fact that the majority of America is going to reject him in November. But we know that words like these can have dangerous consequences," Harris campaign national security spokesperson Morgan Finkelstein said in a statement. "As Trump has proven, including over the past few weeks with his lies about Springfield, Ohio, he will cling to fearmongering and intimidation, no matter the cost."

Harris' husband, second gentleman Doug Emhoff, who is Jewish himself, wrote on X Friday that Jewish Americans would not be "intimidated" by Trump's attacks. "Last night, Donald Trump once again fanned the flames of antisemitism by trafficking in tropes blaming and scapegoating Jews. He even did it at an event purporting to fight antisemitism, no less," Emhoff wrote. "This is dangerous and must be condemned. We will not be intimidated and will continue to live openly, proudly, and without fear as Jews."

Non-partisan Jewish advocacy organizations also vocalized their strong opposition to Trump's comment.

"Whoever a majority of the Jewish community votes for, Jews -- roughly 2 percent of the U.S. population -- cannot and should not be blamed for the outcome of the election," the American Jewish Committee wrote in a statement. "Setting up anyone to say, 'we lost because of the Jews' is outrageous and dangerous. Thousands of years of history have shown that scapegoating Jews can lead to antisemitic hate and violence."

Some Jewish voters will vote for Harris, and some will vote for Trump, the AJC said, adding that "None of us, by supporting the candidate we choose, is 'voting for the enemy.'"

Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblat wrote on social media that Trump's comments contradicted the message of the antisemitic event at which he was speaking and can make it worse for Jewish Americans.

"Preemptively blaming American Jews for your potential election loss does zero to help American Jews. It increases their sense of alienation in a moment of vulnerability when right-wing extremists and left-wing antizionists continually demonize and slander Jews," Greenblat wrote "Let's be clear, this speech likely will spark more hostility and further inflame an already bad situation."

Amy Spitalnick, who leads the progressive-leaning Jewish Council for Public Affairs, encouraged more people to join growing chorus slamming Trump's comment.

"Last night, Trump preemptively blamed the Jews for his possible electoral loss, after spending months calling Jews who don't support him 'crazy' & 'disloyal.' Speaking out against this isn't about partisan politics -- it's about fundamental Jewish safety," Spitalnick wrote. "We need everyone to do so."

Trump did receive backing from some on the political right. The Republican Jewish Coalition, a major Jewish political group that has endorsed Trump, praised Trump for his remarks on combatting antisemitism.

Matt Brooks, the CEO of the organization, told ABC News in a phone interview that he thought the comments about Jewish voters and the election were about motivating Jewish voters, and that Democratic claims otherwise are a deflection.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 1:05 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The former president said that he plans to deport “foreign Jihad sympathizers and Hamas supporters”

Ivy League Student associations have left the chat

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2024, 4:21 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The former president said that he plans to deport “foreign Jihad sympathizers and Hamas supporters”

The extreme right need Ivy League student associations in the chat, in order that they can keep perpetuating the myth that campus social and political philosophies have gone mainstream; otherwise they have no basis on which to push their nasty 'anti-woke' agendas.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 5:12 am

JamesW wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

The extreme right need Ivy League student associations in the chat, in order that they can keep perpetuating the myth that campus social and political philosophies have gone mainstream; otherwise they have no basis on which to push their nasty 'anti-woke' agendas.

Do explain?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 6:33 am

JamesW wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Off Topic
The “woke” agenda need not go mainstream or become popular. This agenda has a hold not in campuses in general but the ones that graduate people who have and will be leaders and government and business.

The Republican nominee for President is as mainstream as one can get and he is sprouting antiemetic tropes that are heard by millions.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 6:34 am

That guy has it in for anything that moves doesn't he? He's so much of a hater, I wouldn't be surprised if he also hates himself.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 6:41 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I can't imagine his approach being very appealing. :?

It not need be to be a big problem. This was the updated version of “Stand back, and Stand by”. Proud Boys and the like won’t be making any distinctions between Zionist and Jewish targets.