Evolutionary Biologist Reacts to Creationist Arguments

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 11:53 am

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 12:56 pm

That there are (many) people who don't believe that evolution is real is one of oh-so-many mind-boggling things.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 1:20 pm

bee33 wrote:
That there are (many) people who don't believe that evolution is real is one of oh-so-many mind-boggling things.

Agreed. It's right up there with flat-earther 'theories'.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 2:01 pm

Interesting video! Creationism definitely amounts to a conspiracy theory IMO.

It often seems a bit manipulative to me when creationists engage in detailed scientific arguments. It might seem like they know what they’re talking about to their ignorant followers, but they typically get things wrong or leave out crucial details to further their agenda.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 5:10 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Interesting video! Creationism definitely amounts to a conspiracy theory IMO.

It often seems a bit manipulative to me when creationists engage in detailed scientific arguments. It might seem like they know what they’re talking about to their ignorant followers, but they typically get things wrong or leave out crucial details to further their agenda.

Yes, it does seem like there's a tendency for creationists to rely on outdated understandings of evolution in order to strawman the opposition. It's like they think Darwinian evolution is also a religion and that science hasn't advanced since the era of Darwin and Huxley.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 5:41 pm

I grew up with this JW book. It was where all of my knowledge about evolution came from. I should reread it for the laughs one of these days.

A lot of the evidence they use would be from really old sources. They’d love examples of forged fossils or when scientific understanding changes. “Well, they were wrong about the date there, so you can’t trust scientists in general. Let’s see what the Bible has to say…”