Passport Bros, misrepresenting men who travel to find a wife

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2024, 6:44 pm

the current trend of men joining a movement called passport bros is (I believe) misrepresenting men who legitimately travel overseas to find love.

It happens on several fronts.
1. Red pill men who join this movement giving the rest of us a bad name
2. Confusion between labelling us as sex tourists and finding a wife
2. Women in western countries who call us all losers
3. female journalists who draw on 1. and 2. and 3. and give us all a bad name

the whole idea of western men going overseas to find a wife has been around for decades. Its not a new movement. What is new is the rapid spread across social media which has both positives and negatives.

Positives - Men post their experiences online which are really useful to other men who are contemplating taking that journey so they know (in advance) the pitfalls/challenges
Negatives - Men who show off their "body count" overseas and clearly mysognistic using the red pill philosophy as a vehicle for their behaviour, the are basically sex tourists

In the media the whole passport bros movment is being given bad press by often female journalists
https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 7d79251e33

I feel the behaviour of a few bad apples is being weaponised to misrepresent and put off other men who are having problems with loneliness and not getting a date from exploring their options overseas.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2024, 7:32 pm

I would be concerned about the unequal power between a man from a first world country, who would be considered greatly better off and an indisputable catch by a relatively poor woman from a developing country, who might find it impossibly unwise to reject such an opportunity in life.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2024, 7:40 pm

bee33 wrote:
I would be concerned about the unequal power between a man from a first world country, who would be considered greatly better off and an indisputable catch by a relatively poor woman from a developing country, who might find it impossibly unwise to reject such an opportunity in life.

I think this is a really valid point. And I agree.

So my perspective is to make connections with women (or men) who are compatible in terms of personality but whom are also socioeconomically not in an unequal position. My wife was educated in Australia and had lived in Australia before, she had family here already. She is intellectually compatible and she was capable of living comfortably in either country.

I would not subscribe to finding a poor village girl whose parents would literally fling their daughter into a western man's arms in order to give her a good life. I also don't subscribe to "saviour complex". But I do acknowledge some men want that too. a wife whom they can control and mold.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2024, 1:39 am

cyberdad wrote:
The whole idea of western men going overseas to find a wife has been around for decades. Its not a new movement.
I did not go overseas to find a wife, but to get far, far away from my ex-wife.  I just happened to meet a lovely woman who agreed to marry me while we were both expats from our respective countries.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2024, 1:42 am

Women are misrepresented if they go anywhere, including the corner pub or local college, looking for a husband.

I suppose fair is fair.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2024, 1:43 am

bee33 wrote:
That's the stereotype my wife and I both had to deal with in the 'States, even though we both have our respective Masters Degrees.  It's different here in the Philippines; most locals are nice to us, and there is very little prejudice (that I'm aware of).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Canadian Freedom Lover
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2024, 2:03 am

I don't see anything wrong with going abroad to get laid. I have a friend that would go to Asia 2-3 times a year to do exactly that. He had the time of his life, and I believe it was a mutually beneficial relationship the women got to be with a successful older western man and he got sex from them. That's a win win in my mind.

And now he is married to a Vietnamese woman and moving there to live with her.

My friend has offered to take me on a trip to Asia sometime to sow my oats also. I think I will probably take him up on his offer when I can afford the trip.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2024, 2:38 am

Canadian Freedom Lover wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with going abroad to get laid. I have a friend that would go to Asia 2-3 times a year to do exactly that. He had the time of his life, and I believe it was a mutually beneficial relationship the women got to be with a successful older western man and he got sex from them. That's a win win in my mind.

I should be clear, I am not judging 40-50 yr old middle aged men who want to have "fun" with younger women in Asia. My issue is with being lumped in with this group.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2024, 2:45 am

\He had the time of his life, and I believe it was a mutually beneficial relationship the women got to be with a successful older western man and he got sex from them. That's a win win in my mind.

the relationship isn't just status/clout, in the instances you speaking about its also transactional. A 50 year old overweight single man would literally have zero hope of meeting an attractive woman in the States or Australia. But if he has $$ then going to Cambodia, thailand or Vietnam opens up a world of possibilities.

Last edited by Cornflake on 29 Sep 2024, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.: Removed a generalized and sexist shopping list of available women

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2024, 2:48 am

My friend has offered to take me on a trip to Asia sometime to sow my oats also. I think I will probably take him up on his offer when I can afford the trip.

If you get the opportunity please go with an experienced traveller as first timers are easily scammed by unscrupulous bar girls and also practice safe sex is a must.