Firefighters union won’t endorse a presidential candidate

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2024, 6:58 pm

The decision is a blow to Democrats, since the International Association of Fire Fighters endorsed Biden in 2020.

Quote:
The International Association of Fire Fighters announced on Thursday that it would not be endorsing a candidate for president this year.

The news is a particular blow to Vice President Kamala Harris, since the union was the first to endorse Joe Biden's presidential bid in 2020.

In a statement, Edward A. Kelly, the union's president, said that the group's executive board voted on Thursday by 1.2% not to endorse.

He added that the board "determined that we are better able to advocate for our members and make progress on the issues that matter to them if we, as a union, are standing shoulder-to-shoulder. This decision, which we took very seriously, is the best way to preserve and strengthen our unity."

The union represents over 350,000 firefighters, emergency medical workers and rescue workers throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Both presidential campaigns made personal appeals to the union’s members at a convention in Boston in August, with Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Sen. JD Vance of Ohio speaking at the event.

Harris also addressed union members during a separate IAFF legislative conference in Washington, D.C., in March, before Biden dropped out of the race.

Although the union came out quickly in backing Biden in 2020, four years earlier, the IAFF also chose not to get involved in the presidential race.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2024, 11:22 am

Meanwhile, the police unions have gone full MAGA.

I wonder why...

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2024, 11:54 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

I wonder why...

All the defund the police stuff makes them think they have some legitimacy as MAGAs, as for firefighters - they attract a particular "kind" like the military and police. Don't need to spell it out

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/12/opin ... ments.html

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2024, 2:10 am

cyberdad wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I wonder why...

All the defund the police stuff makes them think they have some legitimacy as MAGAs, as for firefighters - they attract a particular "kind" like the military and police. Don't need to spell it out

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/12/opin ... ments.html

Yeah cops don't even pull people over anymore hardly, where I live they have just been installing street camras to catch people for driving offenses. But not sure if it's the city or the cops or both installing the camras but seems that is now the go to rather than pulling people over.

In my state for the election we could vote to increase police funding, but then also apparently families of officers killed in duty could get a million dollars in compensation. Like its awful if a family member is killed during their job but a million dollars? when people like me and my boyfriend are struggling to even keep a roof over our head, that is insane. They should get some compensation but marry a cop, become a millionare if they die seems a bit much. Like do any of the rest of us get to become a millionaire if our partner dies? Of course not, so yeah voting no for that one.