I agreed to buy a house in the path of Milton

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

stratozyck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2024, 11:56 pm

We are moving from GA to FL. We made an offer on a house in Central FL, so it should be ok. But its like Milton has a bullseye on it as every map I've seen has it at the center. it is east of Orlando so I HIGHLY doubt it will be impacted.

So, I'm seeing this as a once in a 20 year type storm that will test this house out. The home inspection got moved because of the storm so if the house gets damaged we still have the right to back out of the contract.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2024, 12:29 am

Not to add to your stress but with the growing ravages of climate change, which are not limited to storms, I would not buy a house anywhere in Florida.

bsickler
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2024, 9:10 am

stratozyck wrote:
it is east of Orlando so I HIGHLY doubt it will be impacted.

Virtually every forecast out there shows that it’s going to be impacted.

stratozyck wrote:
So, I'm seeing this as a once in a 20 year type storm that will test this house out.

Florida has had 3 of these “20 year storms” in 18 months: Milton, Helene and Idalia.

Personally there’s no way I’d buy a house in that state. The cost of housing is way too high for the extreme amount of risk present.

stratozyck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2024, 8:58 am

bsickler wrote:
stratozyck wrote:
it is east of Orlando so I HIGHLY doubt it will be impacted.

Virtually every forecast out there shows that it’s going to be impacted.

stratozyck wrote:
So, I'm seeing this as a once in a 20 year type storm that will test this house out.

Florida has had 3 of these “20 year storms” in 18 months: Milton, Helene and Idalia.

Personally there’s no way I’d buy a house in that state. The cost of housing is way too high for the extreme amount of risk present.

1. no, this one is unique in that it is coming straight from the west. It is unique because most go up the coasts.

2. I lived in tornado alley. The "impact" 30 miles away from the east coast at most will be power outages. It will be fine.

3. Pot is about to be legal and medical pot is legal in FL.

4. I am moving from a much higher cost of living area to a lower cost one. My choice is Atlanta traffic or hurricanes. Atlanta traffic makes me want to die.

Harmonie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2024, 4:55 pm

Yeah, sorry, I kinda agree with the others. I just can't see why it's worth it to get a house there. To each their own, I suppose.

I moved to the Northeast from a tornado alley state. Despite how much I thought over the decades I lived in that state that it was awful and that it was just too high of a risk to live there, there was still a significant grieving process when I was moving out. So I get how people can want to stay in a place that is bad, but to choose to move to a place like Florida makes no sense to me. Oh well. Best of luck to you with that.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2024, 5:12 pm

Keep us posted. It sounds like there are a few of us who are curious about how it goes.

Isn't Milton supposed to hit the West coast of Florida as a major hurricane but be down to tropical storm by the time it reaches the East coast? If your place is as far from the Gulf as Orlando it seems like Milton should have calmed down a bit before it reaches your new home.

But I hope your roof is in good repair and you have good drainage from the yard.

stratozyck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2024, 5:38 pm

Harmonie wrote:
Yeah, sorry, I kinda agree with the others. I just can't see why it's worth it to get a house there. To each their own, I suppose.

I moved to the Northeast from a tornado alley state. Despite how much I thought over the decades I lived in that state that it was awful and that it was just too high of a risk to live there, there was still a significant grieving process when I was moving out. So I get how people can want to stay in a place that is bad, but to choose to move to a place like Florida makes no sense to me. Oh well. Best of luck to you with that.

I am an economist. One of the foundations of economics is you have to trust people are making decisions that make them happier.

Try it, try trusting that others are making decisions to make themselves happier.

Now take a minute and ask why are you blanket rejecting an entire state when we KNOW that hurricane damage is typically within a few miles of the coast. Now read what I wrote earlier - the house is about 35 miles from the coast. Next to it on the other side is a huge protected forest.

I picked that for a reason.

Trust that I know what I am doing and that what I am doing is making my life better.

The risk of dying in a hurricane in Florida is MUCH less than the risk of dying in a car in Florida. Yet NO ONE GOES WHY ARE YOU DRIVING.

Last edited by Cornflake on 10 Oct 2024, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Removed some personal attacks

stratozyck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2024, 5:41 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Keep us posted. It sounds like there are a few of us who are curious about how it goes.

Isn't Milton supposed to hit the West coast of Florida as a major hurricane but be down to tropical storm by the time it reaches the East coast? If your place is as far from the Gulf as Orlando it seems like Milton should have calmed down a bit before it reaches your new home.

But I hope your roof is in good repair and you have good drainage from the yard.

We'll find out its a great stress test and actually I am excited that its happening now and not in 6 weeks hah.

It is 30 miles from the east coast and on the other side is a national forest. The elevation is 15m so about 45 feet from sea level.

The biggest risks from a hurricane where it is located are power outtages and tornados.

Again, far more people die driving yet no one shames people for driving. This Florida hate is completely irrational.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2024, 6:20 pm

stratozyck wrote:
The biggest risks from a hurricane where it is located are power outtages and...

Power outages are probably likely. Over time, you'll probably want alternate power sources.

My Dad used to live outside Jacksonville. Having a power outage kill the A/C and preventing use of a fan was very uncomfortable on at least one occasion...and opening a window would've only made humidity a problem inside the house.

bsickler

09 Oct 2024, 11:33 pm

stratozyck wrote:
1. no, this one is unique in that it is coming straight from the west. It is unique because most go up the coasts.

I guess but even in milder hurricanes you’ll still likely end up having to evacuate. I hope you budgeted a few thousand to do that every couple of years.

stratozyck wrote:
2. I lived in tornado alley. The "impact" 30 miles away from the east coast at most will be power outages. It will be fine.

Hurricanes are not tornados

stratozyck wrote:
3. Pot is about to be legal and medical pot is legal in FL.

Cannabis is already legal in 38 states. Florida is way behind the curve here.

stratozyck wrote:
4. I am moving from a much higher cost of living area to a lower cost one. My choice is Atlanta traffic or hurricanes. Atlanta traffic makes me want to die.

This is a false choice because you get awful traffic and hurricanes regardless of which one you choose.

stratozyck wrote:
I'm going to tell you something about being social. Its really aholish to look at other people's choices and go "You are stupid for choosing that."

You’re the one who posted on here and opened yourself up to criticism.

stratozyck wrote:
I am an economist. One of the foundations of economics is you have to trust people are making decisions that make them happier.

Try it, try trusting that others are making decisions to make themselves happier.

An economist that doesn’t consider long term insurance costs or the potential long term cost of sea level rise / hurricanes in their economic decisions?

Hmmmmm

stratozyck wrote:
Now take a minute and ask why are you blanket rejecting an entire state when we KNOW that hurricane damage is typically within a few miles of the coast. Now read what I wrote earlier - the house is about 35 miles from the coast. Next to it on the other side is a huge protected forest.

You should be asking yourself why you blanket rejected the entire rest of the country when you know there are cheaper places to live that are less risky.

Out of the entire country you choose Florida, a state with a cost of living similar to California but with hurricanes and overall awful humid weather.

stratozyck wrote:
I picked that for a reason.

Trust that I know what I am doing and that what I am doing is making my life better.

The risk of dying in a hurricane in Florida is MUCH less than the risk of dying in a car in Florida. Yet NO ONE GOES WHY ARE YOU DRIVING.

You’re gonna be in for some nasty surprises I think. Ultimately that’s your decision, but don’t get mad when other people criticize it.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2024, 12:27 am

Am getting this persons decision,,, if he has estimated the inland travel of weather events...and the land has good "drainage". and all other practical things are in place for his preparation . For the unexpected ..
And Most Lovely is ! that this property sounds like it backs up to a forest. So his backyard is a forest ! Viola..!
Must admit that unless your adapted ..humidity can be a drag...but a small "blu eddy" backup power supply , or some other brand ....he could run a fan for several weeks ....like living in the tropics .
Now personally , I really do NOT like Floridas governor De Satan , :twisted: but that could change .. And Disney World is in that State :D .....
But honestly , am not so sure that people are meaning to "dis" you . Just overtly expressing their concern for" you" based on what they have heard in the media about the storms in that area . As far as they might figure some predatory Real Estate agent has gotten to you :roll: Good Luck with your potential New Home. :D

Old Joke from the 1950s , Can interest you in Some Swamp land in Florida? :mrgreen: ...or possibly a bridge ?
Sorry could not resist, based. on my age range . :oops:

where ever you go ,there you are

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2024, 12:59 am

Aside from the OP, the overall vibe of the thread seems to be "Florida is a terrible place, and you're an idiot for living there". Which I'm sure our florida members are just delighted to hear what people think of their home. Especially while they're experiencing consecutive natural disasters. Kick 'em when they're down, eh?

OP is excited they bought a house, and also concerned for it's well-being - and all y'all have to say is what a huge mistake they made? Nice.

Even if factually correct, still doesn't seem a terribly effective method of making the point - not to mention basically ignoring and dismissing OP's original concern.

But who cares as long as you're right. Right?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2024, 6:26 am

Disastrous weather can happen anywhere. Even in Central Connecticut far from the shoreline.
We had an October snowstorm in 2011 that took out so many trees we were without power for ten days!
First, there was a tropical storm that made the soil wet, allowing snow laden trees to fall when the snow storm hit two weeks later. Then there were mature trees next to the power lines, as nobody wanted to cut them down, despite the power company offering do it for "free." A decade later, all those trees are gone.

In October the trees still have their leaves, so the snow stuck to the leaves and made the trees extremely heavy.
With some wind big limbs of trees would shear off! I spent a week cutting up a big limb into pieces. FEMA sent trucks around to pick up the debris.

A few years ago a storm sheared my neighbor's big tree in half! It clipped the gutters on the way down.
My neighbor had all three trees in the front yard removed.

Good luck on your new home!

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2024, 1:30 pm

Yes, THere is a Reason Why Disney World Built Their Operations in the

Middle/Central Part of the Florida Peninsula As Most Critical Thinking

Homeowners Weighing Their Socio-Economic Pro's And Con's Go; Stay

Away From the Coast; Particularly Barrier Islands as Remember They Are

Barriers for Stormy Weather; And Yes, in Those Interior Areas, THere are A Whole

Lot of Trees; Yes, Enjoy Trees Yet Don't Buy a Home With A Huge Oak Tree Hanging

Over Your
Home, Just
Waiting for the
Right Combination
of Soggy Soils and
Heavy Winds to Blow
It Down on Your Roof

And Uh-oh, Perhaps You...

Words alone, Really Don't Do Florida Justice;
Where i Live at Least, Far Enough Away
From the Coast to avoid Flooding and

Far Enough Into the Forest to Block
Winds Yet Not too Close Hehe to Fall

On my All Paid-Off Retirement Home

That Initially Cost About as Much as A Fancy Four-Wheel
Drive Today, Back then in 1993, When Mortgages were Less
Than 400 Bucks A Month, and Insurance Rates Were About 600 Bucks
A Year Along With Taxes for the Home too; The Taxes Have only Gone

Up Only About 100 Bucks as they Have 'Save Our Home' Provisions to
Keep them Low, even when Your Permanent Home Residence Quadruples
And More in Value; And Yes, Inflation is an Issue Everywhere; i Would Love

to Hear a Post from Our New Florida Resident Economist Explain in Professional

Detail Why 'Kamala and Biden' Didn't Create the New Housing Prices and Other Inflation

That Most of the Rest of the Civilized World Has Been Dealing With and Much Worse than

the United States Since the Pandemic,
And War Over in Ukraine, and etc, too...

Of course, it wouldn't
Matter to the Ones who
Really Need to Hear it as
They May still Believe Whatever

Marjorie Taylor Greene and Yuck What
The Orange Painted Man Lies Day by Day too...

And While It's True, Social Sciences Assessed This
Area that Once Had the most Churches per Capita
in Guinness World Record Books and Several Military
Installations (That make getting a decent Paying Job a reality too)
As A Most Difficult Place to Be 'Different' in the United States Yet
Homogenous Acting And Doing Humans, Getting Along and Not Killing

Each Other Day By Day And Particularly at Night hehe is actually Yes

A 'Pro' of Living Here too; And IF You Can Figure Out the Appropriate
Password Verses Associated With Their Team Religion and Quarterback Jesus;

Basically, All You Have to Do is Recite the Loving Peaceful ones Back to them

And You Have a Friend Forever as Suddenly You are a Part of the 'Jesus Club;'

True as the
World Shows
Now, There Are
More Deadly Clubs
to Be ASSociated With Indeed...

Hey When 'in Rome' You Blend in Enough to Survive

And Find New Creative Ways to Thrive; Yes, All You Have
to Do is Look Like You (me) Can Hit a Home Run on the First Baptist

Softball Team (Note: i Do Not Do Team Sports Or Follow Ridiculous Rules)

Also, Folks Noting You Sound Like An Angel Singing From the Back Pews of
Whatever Church You Visit is An Automatic Pass to Get a Warm Welcome From 'The Group;'

So What's the Benefit of Blending in; Folks Will Give You Much Greater "Leeway" For Being Different;

Like the Empirical Evidence Currently Shows of Public Dancing Everywhere i Go 20,666 Miles in 133 Months now;

Like Forrest Gump Said and i Sing; Just because it Feels Good to Do it; A Mighty ARtistic Stim It has Come to Be;
No More issues
With Emotional
Regulation
And
Sensory
Integration
For me and

Now, it's True,
YeT i DO Conform by Leg Pressing
1540 Pounds, 12 Reps, Still at the

Military Gym, Yep still at age 64; No one,

And i Do Mean NO ONE, Gives me any Problem
at All, after i fill up Both Bars With 45 Pound Weights

And Do my Ballerina/Martial Arts Free Style Routine of
Warming Up Dance

Just like
i Do at

Walmart
And everywhere
Else i Go in Public
While my Wife Loves

to Just Loves to

Shop;

All For Fun
And Wings Free too Balancing ALL...

oh By the Way, Man Made Materials
Really Bug me; Whenever i Get a Chance

i Discard them By the Forest and Board
on Board Fencing of my 'Eden Back Yard;'

Key: Wherever You Go; If You Don't Find a Place
of Sanctity on the Outside and Inside oF LoVE iN Peace,

Chances are, You may be full off Misery and Discontent No

Matter What Seasons
or Weathers Do Come

Now and Next; Other than
That No State Income Tax;

Minimum Wage is 13 Dollars an Hour
Going Up to 15 Dollars in the
Next Two Years Yet They are

Already Paying that in Retail
Service Jobs to Keep Warm Employees

Working; After the Minimum Wage is
Attained at $15; Cost of Living Wage Increases

Every Year After That; After 3 Degrees From

College, i Started at $3.69 An Hour

Just to get my Foot in the Door of the
Lowest of Low of Government Employment;

With Patience it Paid off with the Equivalent
Pay Grade of a Marine Major at Civilian Retirement...

What's Really Gone Up the Most is Health Insurance;

It Was 14 Dollars for me and my Wife each Month; Now
With Both Medicare and Federal Retiree Health Insurance We Still

Pay 7,000 Dollars a Year; and While it's True Our House Insurance
is Almost 4,000 Dollars a Year; a New Roof Will Bring it Down to
Around 2,500 Dollars a Year; And God Yes It's True; The Most

Dangerous Thing Most Anyone of Us Will Do is Drive a Car;

Yeah, i Spent a bunch of Money on a Very Safe One as i Understand

What's Real

Versus all the

Frigging

Hyperbole
Of What
What See online
And on the Other Tubes too...

It's a Game of Jacking Up Adrenaline
And Dopamine Most by What Humans

Will Come to focus on Most, With Illusory
Fears Spoon Fed Each and Every Day to Make Money...

Meanwhile, Yawn, the Birds Are Singing in Eden; The Sun
Is Shining Through the Forest, and The Waves and The Winds
Of Emerald Green Gulf, Sugar White Sands, And Sea Oats in the

Breeze, Along With Seagulls Spiraling Around the Sun Is Only

A Short Drive Down a Four Lane Highway Without Much Traffic

(in my Hybrid AWD
Touring CRV
getting
great
safe
gas
Mileage)

Close enough
To whenever
i Choose and

Still Desolate
After the Summer

Tourists; So Peacefully True

Nature Will Be and Us too...

Life is Full of Pro's and Con's;

It's Up to All of Us to Seek and
Find What Works and Plays for Us

or
not.

Orlando is too Crowded for me;

Yet i'm not a PHD Economist

Or a Big Four Deloitte Financial
Consultant Like my Indian Friend

Who Requires A Big City to Do What She Does...

Tons of Folks Are Moving From all around the
Country Here to Florida Where i Live; Yes, They are
Mostly Retired From Somewhere Much More Expensive

And

Stressful

To Live; And
True, i'll Share
A Couple of

Videos

to answer
the Question of WHY?

Other than Whatever
Paradise We Create Within for real too...

Working for the Military for a Quarter of
A Century, Most Every Person Who Came
Through Who Has Seen the World Said

This is Where They would Like to

Return Most to Retire,

If they can
only
get
back
here again...

It Wasn't always
Easy Yet i Never Left...

Hehe on the Other
Hand, Not Everyone
Appreciates 'Paradise;'

i Swear i Saw A Dude Jumping
Up And Down; Obviously Uncomfortable
in His Own Skin (Been there done that too)

With a T-Shirt That Said 'Occupy Mars;'

Yet the Dude Should Really Go Out in
Space In One of his own 'Vehicles'

to Find the 'Overview Effect'

Like What 'Captain
Kirk' Did as

Fiction is
So Much Less

Satisfying as
Reality when
You Full Become
A Part Whole of What's Really

Most Real... (Clue: What We
Are Made of Most THE EartH)

Yep
LoVE iN
Peace

Unless Ya
Just Love, LoVE iN War,
Discontent, Misery, and All that Other 'Stuff' too...

Yep, Been 'THere' Done That Too...

Inside and Outside too
That's What Life is All
About Creating the Best

one for You...

And Sure Others too...

Other than that the Nice
Dude down the Road of
my Neighborhood in my
Slow Dance Walk Around the

Block Has Relatives in Orlando
That His Son Traveled Down there

to Be With; As Expected All is

Good; They Just Lost Electricity
And Will Be Using the Grills Donated By

Him
and
His Son
And Some
Cases of Water

Just in Case too...

The Best Part of a Hurricane
And Any Other Natural Disaster
is A Community of Human Beings

Bonding And Binding Over a Common Purpose

of Lifting Each Other Up;

Even When the 'Orange
Ghoul' Is Lying His Butt

off to Cause
the Usual
Misery
And
Discontent,
Anger And
Hate, Yep, Real Hell Brings

for
not
so Free too...

i Realize Matt
Gaetz is the
Representative
of Where i Live in
This District too

Yet i Don't Worry
About Temporary
Fools; Just Pebbles
Making Waves Now in
Ponds Soon Enough to go away

Like DeSaNTaNiS and the 'Orange Ghoul' too...

We All Live and Die; i Choose to Fully Live Now

Without
Fear and
Without
Smearing
Orange Stuff hehe...

Florida is Still A State of FLoWeRS for me at Least

In Even a County Named After a Saint Rose and Even

A Saint Rose Church
to Visit
and Lead
The Choir

From the Back
Pews When the
'Choir Master' is Out at Least Hehe...

Life is Bad and Good; And All of the iN-BeTweens
And Extremes;' It's Up to All of US to 'Find A View'..:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DbaJY77I3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yQrwe1hGuE

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by Cornflake on 10 Oct 2024, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Lengthy, thread format disrupting post hidden by spoiler tags for easier readability

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2024, 1:40 pm

THAT'S why Florida is a bad idea.
And if 200km/h winds are this year's record, what do you think they'll be in another 10 or 20?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2024, 2:13 pm

So, how's the house? How long did it lose power?

I think moving to Florida, but not near the coast, is a quite reasonable idea if the price is right.

But I hope you'll not be too close to the tourist traffic.

P.S. My bride and I would not move to Florida...but hear me out.

She was born and raised in Texas and parts of her family have moved to Pennsylvania. I was born and raised in Pennsylvania and parts of my family moved to Florida.

We'd like to move closer to family but not in Texas or Florida—because we don't like hot weather. Our relatives in Texas and Florida like the weather there and think where we live is too cold.