Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2007, 9:34 pm

Hey, I know there have been a lot of polls and posts about this, but I wanted to know what your Star Trek Universe would be.

1.What show would you be on?
2.What character would be your best friend?
3.Which character could be your long lost twin?
4.Which character would you want to share nights in front of the fire with?
5.What race would you be?
6.Where would you be assigned?
7.Starfleet or another core?
8.What section would you serve in?
9.What part of space would you like to explore?

OK, I'll start
1. All do respect to TOS, because I love it dearly, but I think TNG was more well written. I'd do crossovers though to all the shows. (I know, trying to have it all.)
2. Spock
3. Kira
4. Chakotay
5. Betazoid
6. Earth, Starfleet Headquarters
7. Starfleet
8. Diplomatic Core
9. Beta Quadrant. Did anything ever happen in the Beta Quadrant? You never hear much about it.

Ok, who's next?

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 2:49 pm

-I'm not sure...I think I'll stick with TNG's era, though.

-I might get along with Reg Barclay or Ezri Dax.

-Odo?

-Doctor Bashir.

-I'd probably be an Andorian. I like the blue skin and antennae.

-I'd like to be on a starship somewhere

-I'd probably be in Starfleet. I don't know if I'm social enough to cope with a ship full of Klingons.

-I'd probably join command and try to become a helmsman or tactical officer. I would never join security.

-I don't mind, just as long as some strange entity doesn't board the ship every week and try to kill me (or succeed).

Slink
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2007, 4:40 pm

Willowmay wrote:

Great thread, BTW.

1. Had to think about it, but I'd say Voyager. IMHO, TNG has aged terribly and I just don't enjoy it anymore. TOS is dated too, but fun and quirky, and has a soul TNG is lacking. DS9 was drama, Enterprise was not my cup of tea, but Voyager was all about adventure, like TOS.

2. Q ~ it'd be awesome to have a malicious, capricious God on your side.

3. Lore. He's not evil, he's just misunderstood.

4. Damar. I want to know everything about Ducat from the man who was closest to him. I don't know if I'd be able to sleep at night, though. (Ducat's not evil! etc., just misunderstood).

5. Romulan. Post-Dominion War, Romulus is rising.

6. RSE-UFP Neutral Zone. Rommies cross it at will. Starfleet can't.

7. Romulan Secret Services.

8. Tal Shiar. The standard by which the Obsidian Order and Section 31 try to measure up to.

9. Intelligence missions in the Federation. Gaugeing defenses, outposts, deployments and weaknesses.

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2007, 10:24 pm

DejaQ- I had a crush on Dr. Bashir once too, but I like Chakotay's culturalness (is that a word?) and his quiet determination.

Slink-
I don't think Ducat is inherently evil either. Have a thing for the Romulans huh? What is your take on reunification with the Vulcan's?

Slink
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2007, 11:02 pm

Willowmay wrote:
DejaQ- I had a crush on Dr. Bashir once too, but I like Chakotay's culturalness (is that a word?) and his quiet determination.

Slink-
I don't think Ducat is inherently evil either. Have a thing for the Romulans huh? What is your take on reunification with the Vulcan's?

I am personally against it, but not just as a loyal soldier to the Empire. I think the political hostility alone between the RSE and the Federation makes it impossible. Apart from that, an even wider gulf exists: the logical philosophy of the Vulcans vs. the Romulan militaristic caste culture. Also Romulans are a xenophobic race, and isolationist. Even if there was a strong will on Romulus to reunify, the Romulan personality would sabotage the effort. Plus, given what looks like a strong position for the RSE after the Dominion War, now is the worst time to champion the issue.

That's what I think, anyway. If another series ever gets produced, the writers will doubtlessly invalidate every thing I said. :lol:

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Oct 2007, 2:02 pm

I would so love to be the person who wrote that next show, but since I've only published one measly little book that sold about 60 copies I doubt that would happen. I kind of had an idea like Enterprise before it came out. Too bad they didn't work harder on that show. I've wanted to write a Star Trek book too, but I always want to write about Spock and everybody and their brother has done that already. Maybe I'll find some fellow writers here and we could do a great big collaboration. I have written screenplays before so I know the proper format and all. I suppose you'd want to do something Romulan. :)

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 3:33 pm

I'd love to write a show, too (even though I'm not such a great writer). I'd do a show set around the 25th century. I draw lots of designs; mostly what the bridge and uniforms would look like. I think I'd add sort of a comedic edge, kind of like the new Doctor Who series.

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2007, 2:21 pm

Well, if anyone watching this thread (and I don't know if it's many since it's not moving much), but if anyone was interested in actually writing a series I think it would be cool to collaberate. It's tough to come up with new Star Trek stuff. It has to involve more than what new alien they're going to meet each week because they've done that already. That's why they had to strand Voyager, to give them something new to do. Although I was thinking, I mentioned in my post that I would like to be part of the Diplomatic Core. Something might be able to be done there. A show could be done about a team that investigates espionage and disputes between worlds. It would sort of be a Star Trek detective show. Those are popular and at least this would be something different. It could involve a main cast with lots of help from different races and groups. Anybody like this idea?

We could start another thread if anyone is interested to get more people involved and who knows, with as many members as this site has there may even be someone who knows someone who knows someone :lol: who might want to see the idea.

DejaQ- What have your ideas been?

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 6:28 pm

Willowmay wrote:
Well, if anyone watching this thread (and I don't know if it's many since it's not moving much), but if anyone was interested in actually writing a series I think it would be cool to collaberate. It's tough to come up with new Star Trek stuff. It has to involve more than what new alien they're going to meet each week because they've done that already. That's why they had to strand Voyager, to give them something new to do. Although I was thinking, I mentioned in my post that I would like to be part of the Diplomatic Core. Something might be able to be done there. A show could be done about a team that investigates espionage and disputes between worlds. It would sort of be a Star Trek detective show. Those are popular and at least this would be something different. It could involve a main cast with lots of help from different races and groups. Anybody like this idea?

I'm interested to hear more.

Willowmay wrote:

I was pretty much planning another Enterprise series, taking place around the mid 25th century. I haven't really developed much of the cast. I've considered a female alien captain or first officer, a Romulan chief engineer, a sort of aspie-ish character and an openly-gay character (it's been avoided too long :roll:). I wasn't thinking anything radically different as far as plots, but I definitely want to avoid doing too many aliens of the week.

I have some visual details here.
This is my most recent bridge design (from around last week):

I removed the counselor from the bridge, thinking he can have an office somewhere. I wanted to keep the captain in the center, so I moved the executive officer behind him, next to the tactical / security position. The captain's supposed to have some consoles on the sides like on the Defiant-class. The door in the back is supposed to lead to the conference room (I ran out of space on the paper and it was pretty cramped :P) The area in front of the main screen is elevated almost above the helm, like on the Prometheus-class.

The interior of the ship is mostly white and silver, with department-color highlights depending on the area of the ship.

I used to have a bunch of uniform design variants I'd drawn in paint, but it got deleted some time ago :x . I'd done a sort of halfway between the First Contact and All Good Things uniforms that I liked, but that's gone too.

I've got a sketch of new the basic design:

The color scheme is dark grey with lighter grey on the chest and shoulders. The stripes are in the department colors (I'm thinking blue could be the new command color). I considered turning the rank pips into badges. I also designed a "field" version, which is a bit looser with added pockets and gloves.

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2007, 11:27 am

DejaQ wrote:
Willowmay wrote:

I'm interested to hear more.

Willowmay wrote:

I was pretty much planning another Enterprise series, taking place around the mid 25th century. I haven't really developed much of the cast. I've considered a female alien captain or first officer, a Romulan chief engineer, a sort of aspie-ish character and an openly-gay character (it's been avoided too long :roll:). I wasn't thinking anything radically different as far as plots, but I definitely want to avoid doing too many aliens of the week.

I have some visual details here.
This is my most recent bridge design (from around last week):

I removed the counselor from the bridge, thinking he can have an office somewhere. I wanted to keep the captain in the center, so I moved the executive officer behind him, next to the tactical / security position. The captain's supposed to have some consoles on the sides like on the Defiant-class. The door in the back is supposed to lead to the conference room (I ran out of space on the paper and it was pretty cramped :P) The area in front of the main screen is elevated almost above the helm, like on the Prometheus-class.

The interior of the ship is mostly white and silver, with department-color highlights depending on the area of the ship.

I used to have a bunch of uniform design variants I'd drawn in paint, but it got deleted some time ago :x . I'd done a sort of halfway between the First Contact and All Good Things uniforms that I liked, but that's gone too.

I've got a sketch of new the basic design:

The color scheme is dark grey with lighter grey on the chest and shoulders. The stripes are in the department colors (I'm thinking blue could be the new command color). I considered turning the rank pips into badges. I also designed a "field" version, which is a bit looser with added pockets and gloves.

Wow! You have put a lot of thought into this. You say you aren't a good writer, but you could definitely do the design part. I agree on a couple of your points. I think it is time for an alien captain. They have all this species openness, but they've never done an alien captain. I also think an aspie character would be great. Did you ever read Voyager: Cybersong? I think Daphne Mandel had Aspergers. I am going to look more closely at your specs to get an idea of your plans. I like the traditional uniforms, but don't dislike the ones your describing. The only ones that were really bad were from the Motion Picture . I didn't like those at all.

I wouldn't mind doing another starship story, but the problem is how to keep it fresh. What new storylines could be done that haven't been written before?

That does bring me to another idea I had. I really like the New Frontiers Excalibur books and like the idea of doing a show based on her and her crew. It would be kind of a misfit show like The Dirty Dozen in space. :D

Thanks for brainstorming with me. Like I said, if we can work out a few ideas we could do another thread and see who else would be interested and maybe get lucky with some Hollywood type hanging around the site.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 11:55 am

TNG
Picard
Data
Troi
Human
no idea
As a human I guess I fit in SF best.
I dunno, the bridge, engineering? In my roleplaying days I always made sure I was near the escape pods.
The Uncharted Territories! (oh wait, that's Farscape)

bigblack
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Oct 2007, 12:31 pm

spock

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 1:46 pm

Willowmay wrote:
I wouldn't mind doing another starship story, but the problem is how to keep it fresh. What new storylines could be done that haven't been written before?

That's the big problem. All I can suggest is try not to introduce many new alien species unless they're intended to play a role in the larger scope of the series. Maybe to keep it fresh, there could be a focus on how the galaxy and its cultures are evolving.

There's the possibility of writing the show in a style similar to the new Doctor Who, with a loose story arc that is resolved in the season finale.

Willowmay wrote:
That does bring me to another idea I had. I really like the New Frontiers Excalibur books and like the idea of doing a show based on her and her crew. It would be kind of a misfit show like The Dirty Dozen in space. :D

Thanks for brainstorming with me. Like I said, if we can work out a few ideas we could do another thread and see who else would be interested and maybe get lucky with some Hollywood type hanging around the site.

Sounds good.

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2007, 4:10 pm

Hmm,
A story arc sounds good. Personally I like when shows do that, as long as the story is good. Enterprise kind of tried that with the whole destruction of Earth and time travel stuff, but I think it was a little too loose. The storyline kind of fell apart.

So you like Excalibur? The only problem it presents is being in the same timeline as TNG. So you would have to deal with the same issues which might be redundant. I like the idea of a misfit crew though, but it could be updated to a new crew in a new century. Maybe something along the lines of the Maquis?

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2007, 4:14 pm

bigblack wrote:
spock

Hi, bigblack. Uh, Spock...what?

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 5:12 pm

Willowmay wrote:
Hmm,
A story arc sounds good. Personally I like when shows do that, as long as the story is good. Enterprise kind of tried that with the whole destruction of Earth and time travel stuff, but I think it was a little too loose. The storyline kind of fell apart.

So you like Excalibur? The only problem it presents is being in the same timeline as TNG. So you would have to deal with the same issues which might be redundant. I like the idea of a misfit crew though, but it could be updated to a new crew in a new century. Maybe something along the lines of the Maquis?

There are too many ideas to choose from...

A Maquis series would be interesting...the good part is that it would give a new perspective on the Federation that was touched upon in the other series (although they had some presence in Voyager).

In general, I'm for Star Trek moving ahead in time, since we've been in the TNG era for quite a while - even longer than TOS. One problem I could see is, if Star Trek keeps going into the future every time an era gets old, will it start getting tired out by the Next Next Next Generation?

Whatever the situation is, I like some conflict, so I'm all for the idea of a crew of misfits.