facial expressions & stair jumping

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Earthshine2112
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2007, 1:39 am

Occasionally I ask my kids to show basic facial expressions. For example, when in a book we're reading a character is angry I sometimes pause the reading and ask the kids to show me their angry face. My 4yo NT daughter does what you'd commonly expect. My 6 yo AS son typically squints, opens his mouth, pokes his tongue out and makes a noise. If you asked him to do a sad face he'd do something very similar. I don't do this often as I get the feeling he's a bit embarresed when doing this. He also pulled that same expression when he had photos taken for a school newsletter. It's like his one, all emcompassing expression that he displays on cue.

Just wondering if this sounds familiar.

Also, we have stairs at home. Unless he's low in energy he usually quickly jumps up the stairs one at a time, like a kangaroo hopping along. Just mentioning it as an amusing idosyncracy that others may have noticed in theirs.

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 2:11 am

I wonder if he is stressed, Im saying this only because I've noticed that when my 8yr old gets stressed by to much busy stuff ie crowds, questions etc.. he tends to screw up his face like the sun is in his eyes. I haven't noticed any jumping up stairs.

p.s just noticed your in Melb hahaha me to! Cool.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 6:46 pm

hubby always had problems with facial expressions~ couldn't quite get the difference between mad & anxious.........lots of other facial expressions are confusing to him.

aspsis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Oct 2007, 10:51 pm

My sister is always frowning and doesn't realize it.. When she is at work as a cashier she gets really mad when the public tells her to smile.. It happened to her on the day her dog died, which she told the person and it shut them right up!

MySon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2007, 8:57 pm

My 4 yr old does quite a bit of stair jumping, both up stairs like a kangaroo and often down the stairs usually repeating this until he can jump as many stairs as possible before being stopped.

He also has issues with facial expressions, until I caught him copying a little girl on a TV ad. Since then I watch out for similar things and make a game of them. He is slowly starting to pick them up.

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2007, 11:45 pm

When I started teaching years ago, I had to learn how to make facial expressions, because I had the kind of expression that people would say, "Smile!" to. I expecially had to practice the "evil eye."

My husband cannot make any expressions except smile and blank. When he tries to do angry, he bugs his eyes out and raises his eyebrows like this. 8O He won't even attempt any others. Plus he smiles and laughs at highly inappropriate times, which gets him into a lot of trouble.