That girl from America's next top model.

Page 1 of 41 [ 650 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next

voss749
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2007, 7:58 am

No im not kidding, apparently she was diagnosed as a kid.
Im guessing shes high functioning aspie.

Its nice to have a positive example.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/america ... 11168.aspx

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 8:09 am

Aspie, but skinny as heck. Not a good example in general.

voss749
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2007, 8:15 am

Isnt it just nice that we have a public aspie whos not

-a criminal/sociopath/crazy person claiming to be an aspie to get out of jail.

What shes not dysfunctional enough???

Besides all models are skinny

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 8:58 am

voss749 wrote:
Isnt it just nice that we have a public aspie whos not

-a criminal/sociopath/crazy person claiming to be an aspie to get out of jail.

Definitely!

sonny1471
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2007, 9:24 am

I agree. I just posted this on the main forum page so who knows if it's in the right spot. I haven't seen much of her yet, but it's nice to have a person on TV who is an aspie. Doesn't happen very often and I hope she goes far in the competition. Oh, and I'm super excited because two of my favorite subjects are now combined on TV. :)

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 9:32 am

I have known a few people who couldn't gain weight no matter how hard they've tried--- as long as she's not going to extremes to maintain an unhealthy too-thin weight, I wouldn't put too much pressure on her there. I hope she is happy with what she's doing ( same for the other ladies) and goes far. It mentions she is a college student--- hopefully she will continue with her education. A perky brain will outlive a perky face and body.

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2007, 11:08 am

I missed the actual show, but saw her interview on the show's website. Seeing her just being herself and answering the questions without trying to look NT really made me happy. It's great to see a real aspie on TV and not the ridiculous caricatures the networks come up with. She seems pretty self-aware, at least she did in that brief interview, so hopefully she'll do well.

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2007, 11:10 am

http://cwtv.com/video?=heather

Here's the link to her interview.

kindofbluenote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2007, 1:37 pm

Anubis wrote:
Aspie, but skinny as heck. Not a good example in general.

Why is she not a good example? Because she defies the stereotype and shows the world that we're not all a bunch of reclusive geeks who tremble at the thought of social interaction?

Forgive me if I seem sarcastic, I'm not trying to be mean, but I think that she's a great choice specifically because she's not what is expected of a person with AS.

It's good because it gives the rest of the world a better understanding of the varying complexities of AS, and it's also good for us because it shows that we don't have to be controlled by a neurological condition, and the expectations people have of us because of it.

I suspect being a model isn't at the top of most people's lists of life goals here, and that's fine. But it does show that we don't have to be limited by what we're supposed to be like.

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2007, 2:39 pm

^Bravo!! !! :D

alex
Developer
Developer

20 Sep 2007, 2:45 pm

kindofbluenote wrote:

I suspect being a model isn't at the top of most people's lists of life goals here, and that's fine. But it does show that we don't have to be limited by what we're supposed to be like.

There are some models on WrongPlanet, however.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 3:05 pm

Does she have some kind of speech impairment?
Personally I doubt that she's an Aspie. Too normal for me.

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2007, 3:10 pm

She's definitely aspie - she's got that unmistakable aspie stare!! :lol:

sonny1471
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2007, 3:43 pm

I think it's interesting that people on this site are "bashing" her for not being "aspie" enough. Autism is a spectrum disorder. We're all very different from each other and no two people are going to have EXACTLY the same traits. That's what makes it fun! She was diagnosed with Aspergers as a child so I'd say it's pretty definite that she has it. Just from watching the show with her interaction with others I can see it.

Lonermutant... I'd ask you to define what "normal" is. In my opinion, there is no such thing as normal.

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2007, 4:51 pm

unnamed wrote:
She's definitely aspie - she's got that unmistakable aspie stare!! :lol:

I only saw the clips on the CW site, and didn't notice a stare. But she did move her hands around a lot more than the others that I looked at, moving her hair back, etc. Also she didn't seem as self-serving as some of them or brag, even mildly, about how great she was like some did--she seemed more likeable than most of the others. I don't know what she's like when she's not on camera--she says people tell her she "comes alive" in front of the camera.

I hope she does OK with the group-living thing, and that bully-girl doesn't get on her case too much. I hope she goes a long way! It'll be good to have people who don't know anything about AS see someone who is doing something positive. As far as her being thin, she may just be thin naturally as some other people mentioned.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 5:11 pm

Very animated, always moving around, but apart from that, I see nothing to make her stand out to me as any different from any other, but then Aspergers isn't something that is worn on the sleeve, I dont believe. Even her voice seems well modulated and she doesn't seem to talk in an especially intellectual way, but then, I am guessing she has worked hard on any social issues she might have had.