Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 8:36 pm

I'm neither but have thought about becoming vegan, mostly because my diet is practically animal free as it is. I don't like red meat and I can't consume dairy so I guess I'm already half way there.

Why did you decide to become vegan or vegetarian?

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 9:16 pm

I needed to be healthy
I am a vegetarian BTW :wink:

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 10:20 pm

rosered wrote:
I'm neither but have thought about becoming vegan, mostly because my diet is practically animal free as it is. I don't like red meat and I can't consume dairy so I guess I'm already half way there.

Wait, if you already have a Vegan diet doesn't that mean that you more or less are a Vegan? :?

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

13 Oct 2007, 6:31 am

rosered wrote:

I am vegan...

I decided because I don't want to be part of the nation that hurts animals for food, cosmetics, clothing etc.
I don't hurt them personally, but if I ate or used anything animal related...I would feel like I was encouraging animal cruelty.

Potter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2007, 6:59 am

I'm a vegetarian. I have been since 1995. I can't stand the idea of killing animals for any reason.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 7:42 am

Vegetables feel pain too!! ! You mean creatures, plants cannot convey their pain, whereas animals can.

SAVE THE VEGETABLES!! !!

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 8:49 am

Sorry - while my mum is a vegetarian, I genuinely couldn't live without my red/white/cat meat.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2007, 10:33 am

Animals eat other animals, it's the way the world works. Let all the cows and chickens go and they'll die in the wild same as if they were killed by us. At least with humans around they have a chance of a comfortable life and quick death.

I do like meat, I wont deny it, but I do feel guilty from time to time thinking of how one creature had to die for me to eat this meal. The best I can do is pray they are happy in death and move on.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 12:41 pm

363 days of the year I'm veggie. On the other 2 I will indulge.

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 1:08 pm

Deus_ex_machina wrote:
rosered wrote:

Wait, if you already have a Vegan diet doesn't that mean that you more or less are a Vegan? :?

No, because I still eat white meat.

That's why I'm only half way there.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 2:25 pm

Goche21 wrote:
Animals eat other animals, it's the way the world works. Let all the cows and chickens go and they'll die in the wild same as if they were killed by us. At least with humans around they have a chance of a comfortable life and quick death.

A long time ago, that was true, back when people only ate meat about once a week unless they were extremely wealthy. Industrialization led to the advent of factory farming, which meant meat all day for everyone, because the animals are treated with extreme cruelty throughout their entire lives. Mass production of meat requires keeping packed together in tiny enclosures where they can't even turn around, and worse.

I do not think it is wrong to eat other living things for food, no matter what kingdom they belong to. Yes, that is the way the world works. But I disagree with modern meat production techniques. This is done so that we can eat far more meat than is healthy for us. The human body is designed to eat meat once every three days at most. We waste a lot of natural resources by artificially placing ourselves at the top of the food chain in disproportionately large population size. This planet cannot handle having top predators out-number animals lower on the food chain. There just aren't enough resources for it to work that way.

I stopped eating meat (yes, that includes seafood and chicken) fifteen years ago for those reasons. I have been a lot healthier since. I was vegan for a few months and had tons of energy, but I couldn't afford it long-term. Since vegan foods aren't in high demand, they're too expensive for me.

dustbowlrefugee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Oct 2007, 12:34 pm

Im a pescatarian, I eat fish, been that way for almost a month now, but on and off for a long time before that.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 1:12 pm

I am a vegetarian. I celebrate 20 years of veggieness this year :) which means I was 6 years old when I decided to "go veggie". I just did not feel comfortable about continueing eating meat after I had seen (being a rather animal-loving kid) a report on slaughterhouses on TV. So at a sudden point I just said "mom, dad, I want to become a vegetarian". My parents thought it was one of those ideas the kid has one day and which is replaced by another wacked idea the next day. Little did they know how stubborn I can be sometimes :) 20 years later and still vegetarian. My mom had to always cook me special meals as I was the only veggie in the family.

I also never drink milk and never eat cheese except on pizzas. So guess I am somewhere halfway vegetarian and vegan. I never eat any sort of meat, poultry or fish.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Dave089
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Oct 2007, 2:09 pm

I was a vegetarian for quite some time until i couldn't resist and ate some chicken D:

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2007, 3:05 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Goche21 wrote:

A long time ago, that was true, back when people only ate meat about once a week unless they were extremely wealthy. Industrialization led to the advent of factory farming, which meant meat all day for everyone, because the animals are treated with extreme cruelty throughout their entire lives. Mass production of meat requires keeping packed together in tiny enclosures where they can't even turn around, and worse.

I do not think it is wrong to eat other living things for food, no matter what kingdom they belong to. Yes, that is the way the world works. But I disagree with modern meat production techniques. This is done so that we can eat far more meat than is healthy for us. The human body is designed to eat meat once every three days at most. We waste a lot of natural resources by artificially placing ourselves at the top of the food chain in disproportionately large population size. This planet cannot handle having top predators out-number animals lower on the food chain. There just aren't enough resources for it to work that way.

I stopped eating meat (yes, that includes seafood and chicken) fifteen years ago for those reasons. I have been a lot healthier since. I was vegan for a few months and had tons of energy, but I couldn't afford it long-term. Since vegan foods aren't in high demand, they're too expensive for me.

A lot of that is stereotyping. Yes there are coup chickens, but there is also free-range, and cows are kept in pastures, not little wooden boxes. When I hear of manufacturers who mistreat animals, I don't eat from them ((that's why I don't eat at KFC)) but I wont cut meat from my diet. If I get too concerned, then I'll eat Kosher meat which is regulated strictly.

I suppose it's just a question of ethics. Live and let live ((eat and let eat)) ^^

RockandBlues
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Oct 2007, 3:45 pm

There is supposed to be a book on how people with different blood types require different ratios of the various food groups. I don't know how accurate that is, but I know people who are perfectly happy eating vegetables most of the time. However, I also know people who have to have meat with their meals. I am numbered among the latter.

I don't mind vegetables. I even like steamed vegetables and such. However, it just isn't a "real" meal to me without some type of meat on my plate. I find myself hungering for meat daily and my lunches and suppers almost always have some type of meat or fish in them.