Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

CentralFLM
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2007, 3:29 pm

I'm currently at a crossroads in my life. I of course have Asperger Syndrome and have thought about a career in law (don't ask me what kind because I don't know for sure). Would Asperger Syndrome be a hinderance or a help in getting a law degree and practicing. What kind of obstacles would I face? The one advantage I can see as being an attorney is that you have to learn a broad range of facts (and usually those facts are constant and don't change unless laws are changed). Basically I've come with a small amount of cash to get started (around $70k) to help me get started. I currently have a Bachelor's degree in Hospitality Tourism Management but I only had a 2.98. I'm sure I would have to retake a few courses as well. Any opinions.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 3:34 pm

I can't help with your decision. I just wanted to mention that the TV series Boston Legal has an aspy attorney character. They portray him as a really lovable guy.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 3:53 pm

One of my more aspie-like relatives has had a long, successful career in corporate law.

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2007, 4:08 pm

My 53-year-old fiance is an Aspie and has also been an attorney for the past 21 years. He's done pretty well at it, too. The only problem he has once in awhile is that he gets a bit obsessed with doing everything too perfectly and thus sometimes he falls behind in what he has to do. Other than that, he's done quite well. I say go for it!

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 4:10 pm

Although I don't have information on whether it would be good for you or not, I can say that has always been my dream as well...If you can afford it, I say go for it! I think at least being someone who is honest, etc...will be a great benefit to us all...

Good luck to you!

PS-if you ever need someone to help you with your busy work, call me up...haha :-)

Stijn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2007, 4:19 pm

Dunno. On the one hand, you'd probably have an easy time learning all the facts and tidbits of the law. So officially that would make you a very good lawyer. However, there might be some situations where you tend to trip...

1) You might or might not lack the improvisation abilities to slightly bend the law in favor of your client whenever necessary.
2) Emotional pledges where you're aiming to hit a personal spot with the jury might not be your cup of tea. Quite a few aspies occasionally have a bad moment where they come across as too pedantic.
3) Since aspies generally have a pretty strict sense of morality, you might get in trouble whenever you have to defend a client who's obviously guilty. :)

In the end, the choice is up to you...I don't know you well enough to make an accurate judgement. (and my knowledge of legal matters isn't all that impressive anyway)

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2007, 4:23 pm

Go for it,the Aspie mindset is perfectly suited to law.

CentralFLM
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2007, 4:53 pm

Wow thank you guys for all the wonderful advice.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 5:00 pm

There's a guy on Boston Legal who's supposed to be Aspie. But I don't think he is, he just seems like an NT with a lot of physical ticks.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 5:41 pm

There was a woman on an Aspie group I used to be on that was pursuing a law degree.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 5:50 pm

Yes, Law is a set of facts. I would think the AS mind would do well.

Lots of different law, not involving people. I like Intellectual Property.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 6:38 pm

My mother thought I should go into law. Frankly, outside of contract/IP law avoiding court, I would stay away from it.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 6:48 pm

In my present case:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt44636.html

my lawyer said that I did a excellent job of preparing my rebuttal. I waded through Equal Employment Opportunity law, and identified specific laws that the other side was violating.

My lawyer specializes in federal disability retirement.

Probably you will pick a specific aspect of law to specialize in, and learn everything there is to know about it. That's what lawyers do. You should be great at it.

bigizz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2007, 6:54 pm

I work at a law firm, not as a lawyer but I deal with it every day. I work with a very specialized area and am an expert. Cold as it is to say, my lack of empathy helps me as well. I have been very successful and my job can be a bit tedious at times which many people hate but I love the repetitious nature.