Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2007, 10:36 am

Wow! My life sure has changed a lot in the week since my son was born. He's healthy and his mommy is recovering from the c-section and should be back to normal in a few weeks. We manage to even get a little sleep now and again. I don't think I could have handled this when I was younger. Of course it will be a while before I know weather he's AS or not. Rest assured I'll be looking for signs and get him help so he has an easier time growing up than I did.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 10:47 am

That is fabulous!! Congratulations! :)

Becoming a parent for the first time is an amazing experience, isn't it? Just remember to enjoy your son for everything that he is and try not to focus too much on the possiblity that he may have AS. It won't really show up for a year or so anyhow. And as you said, you do have the advantage of knowing what to look out for and you'll understand him a little better if he does.

I have 4 kids, 2 of my sons have dx'ed AS, the other one is NT with just enough AS traits to make him interesting and my daughter is being assessed for AS. They are all great kids.

Good luck to you and mommy!

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 10:50 am

Congratulations!! !! Sleep whenever you can. Housework (and other work) can wait - it'll still be there.

And remember, later on don't buy into that "20 minutes of quality time is better than days of just being around" stuff. It's the days of just being around that let you talk to the little thing, as he grows and needs to talk. You really can't schedule those times into what works in your day planner. And you can't squeeze that "just hanging around" into 20 minutes once a week. Doesn't work.

Best of luck!

Saqqara
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2007, 11:18 am

Wahoo!! Big congrats! I hope your seatbelt is buckled ;)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 11:34 am

Congratulations! :D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 12:05 pm

Congratulations!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 12:52 pm

Wonderful news!
I wish you all the best.

I was 33 when our daughter was born, and that was a good time for me.
I know I wasn't ready when I was younger.

Read lots together even as an infant... I certainly think it helps.
Music is great also, it's supposed to help with their math abilities.

Most of all... HAVE FUN! :D

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 1:13 pm

Congratulations!
Kim

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 1:40 pm

Hooray!!

And don't forget to give him full body massages (gentle!!) every day. And hold him skin to skin. And even if it's hard, look him in the eyes and smile.

Congratulations.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 6:31 pm

Congratulations!

Please enjoy every single minute you are with him...and spend as much time as possible with him...They grow up way too fast...

BugsMom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2007, 8:13 pm

Congratulations! Enjoy your sweet baby :).

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 8:29 pm

Congrats!! ! Enjoy every minute with him because you'll blink and he'll be a toddler. I can't believe mine are turning 4 and 2!

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

16 Oct 2007, 11:31 pm

Congratulations! We have 3 sons who are 9, 7 and 4 already - how did that happen?!

Our eldest 2 have been diagnosed with Asperger's - the 4 year old probably does but he's too young to be diagnosed.

Now that we have diagnosis, they have IEP's at school and therapy ..... life is great!

My boys are so cool, so smart and so funny!

Helen

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2007, 5:46 pm

Congratulations! Have lots of fun with your little boy - just remember that he probably won't stay little for long! :D

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

18 Oct 2007, 7:25 pm

Thank y'all very much! I wish I could describe what it's like, but I'm not sure where to even begin. I had no idea I could love this much. All order and routine I had before is completely gone, at least for a while. I haven't slept more than two hours at a time, But I know it was going to be like this and I think I'm handling it pretty well. Before 10 days ago I had never changed a diaper. Now I'm an expert. It's amazing what you can get good at when you have to. :wink:

Bubbahotep Jr is not really 'interactive' yet. He sleeps, eats, and messes diapers- that's pretty much it. I can't wait until he starts recognizing our faces and wanting to play (as long as it's not at 3am). I've taken two weeks off from work and, believe it or not, I actually enjoy helping with burps, changes, and fixing meals for Mommy. Just wish the hours were a little better.

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

25 Oct 2007, 11:48 am

lelia wrote:
Hooray!!

And don't forget to give him full body massages (gentle!!) every day. And hold him skin to skin. And even if it's hard, look him in the eyes and smile.

Congratulations.

The skin-to-skin thing hasn't worked very well so far. It triggers his 'rooting' instinct and he quickly figures out that I don't have any food for him, then he gets mad.

I can bond with him in other ways. I like to take him for walks - he likes the rocking motion. I also sing and read stories to him. It's very surreal reading Dr. Seuss stories. My parents read them to me. Now 30+ years later I'm reading them to my son.