Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 4:43 am

I know there is alot of talk of medication on here but is there anyone else here other than me who dosen't take any form of medication

I have never had medication in my life unless its antibiotics which everyone takes when they have some sort of virus but I have only been close to having medication then by the time I give it to medication I tend to feel better even the psychiatrist told me I'm not severe enough to take any medication when it comes to my AS.

Taimaat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2007, 5:27 am

When I was still living with my parents, I used to see various psychologists and psychiatrists and was on all kinds of meds (except anti-psychotics, my parents didn't want me to have permanent brain damage) I'm not on anything now. I'm sure there are a lot of people (mostly people who would like to take advantage of me and my husband) who wish I would be on something so I would be more complacent and just put up with things,) but I really never liked that fact that the pills influence my actions and I am not myself when I am on them.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 5:48 am

From ages 13-16 when I was in and out of various psych. wards, I was on a handful of different meds. I usually felt either no positive difference, or had horrible side effects (amplified stimming, God that was awful). The last time I was in the pscyh. ward I made the decision that I was going to learn to deal with my problems by myself, and the psychiatrist seemed okay with that. I'm much, much happier without meds. It feels good to be able to keep myself sane by the power of my own mind. I know not everyone can do this though, and I'm just thankful that my issues are minimal enough to be dealt with independently.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 5:51 am

I haven't been on any meds in about 3 years.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Rich_P
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Nov 2007, 6:01 am

Medication? Only antibiotics and that was several years ago now since I last needed them.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 6:04 am

Only black coffee, I could not live without it.

Edger Casey said it was the wonder drug.

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 7:13 am

By meds I'm going to presume you mean ones for mental/emotional stuff, as opposed to antibiotics and the like.

I have never been on meds 1) because the psychiatrist I saw was an idiot who told me I had low self esteem 2) I was at the age where antidepressents would have increased my likelihood of an early death and 3) I had a bit of a dependence on painkillers so I try to avoid taking stuff unless I have too.

Apart from that I have tried Herbal stuff and Homeopathy, but it wasn't for me.

becca423b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Nov 2007, 7:56 am

I have never taken any kind of medication other than antibiotics for ear aches when I was little and the pill right now. I am considering finding a psychiatrist and trying an antidepressant, but I don't think I like the side effects.

I too would consider coffee a psychotropic medication......it is a wonder drug!

surroundfan

05 Nov 2007, 8:08 am

Only drugs I take are caffeine, alcohol and paracetamol (to cure the effects of too little of the former and too much of the latter).

I don't think I'm missing much.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 8:32 am

i've been through some good long lasting depression and managed to get over it without any medication a year ago ... never took anything. i live in foreign country with different language (not english) from my native one, it would be a bit difficult to seek any help. i guess i just didn't have a choice. now, since i have that behind, if it happens again, i know i can handle it. although, it can be different, but first of all i am going to be careful that i never get there again.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 9:47 am

Psychiatric meds? No. I don't take them.

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 9:51 am

Never taken any meds for AS related problems. Doc put me on anti-depressants after my dad died, but that didn't last long.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Nov 2007, 9:54 am

At this point in my life, I am almost 40 years old and I feel like the meds would kinna make me have to rethink my life. I mean, I do alot of self medding with caffeine and that would be a horrible habit to try to break after all of this time. I would still be drinking tons of Coke but taking the meds....prolly counter effect each other. I wouldn't know whether it was okay to sit still or stim or yell or be quiet or anything.

On the other hand, we tried my son on Risperdol and he is doing very well. Tamps down those nasty aggressive tendencies and helps to relieve some of the anxieties in dealing with social situations. Stops some of the stimming as well. He seems to think it's a good thing. I told him he didn't have to take it at all. Right now, in our current situation, he says it's the only thing that keeps him from making his dad wake up dead, so I guess that's a good thing, right? :evil:

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 10:02 am

No meds...wish I could medicate a few of the loud, hyper, obnoxious people I deal with some days though. 8)

cruachan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2007, 10:54 am

I'm not on any meds, we couldn't even afford it. And anyway, how could any medication help about a thing that we don't even know the underlying mechanisms of?
Though I have discovered that the very few foods I like have benevolent effects on me, like chocolate helps cognitive functions and coke reduces overload recovery time.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 10:58 am

people often say they don't take any drugs when they drink alcohol,caffeine or smoke cigarettes.