In what countries are aspies more likely to pass as normal?

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 12:20 pm

Here in the US people tend to put a lot of emphasis on "social skills" so it's no surprise that we are disliked so much. I wonder if there are some countries, or rather, some cultures, where aspies are more likely to pass as "normal." (I think many East-Asians share aspie-like traits.)

Does anyone know?

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2007, 12:30 pm

Funnily enough, the way many other countries perceive the "social skills" of Americans as somewhat lacking, though this is a stereotype based on the fact that American ettiquite can differ greatly from what we consider to be good manners in other places.

I've often thought that some aspects of Japanese culture seem to be based on learned behaviour and ritual, rather than instinctive gut reactions to one another, but again, this is an outsiders perspective and many of the Japanese people I know interact with people with a very natural style.

I do think that a lot of Anime makes a lot more sense to us than it does to NT Gaikokujin.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Nov 2007, 12:37 pm

Not sure. I've always wanted to see Germany.

xx Dan Monster

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 1:03 pm

Germany is a GOOD place for aspies. Compared to what of some of you have to put up with in everyday life...

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 1:11 pm

Eller wrote:
Germany is a GOOD place for aspies. Compared to what of some of you have to put up with in everyday life...

Is Germany such a good place for aspies, really? Is it because they are very tolerant or because they share aspie-like traits?

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 1:13 pm

Aspie-like traits... stiffness in movement, the flatness of the face, smoothness of the skin, blond hair and blue eyes, paleness, conservatism/anxiety, rigidity, intelligence, getting it done and obsessiveness...

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 1:17 pm

Definately Japan.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 1:52 pm

I have had many many people from Japan, China, and Korea spot the 'autistic characteristics' in me immediately. When I think about it, it makes sense, because the denser people live together the more the neurotypical aspect works for them. When someone is as 'contrary' to neurotypical traits as I am they have to make more room for me than for someone like them, so it is considered 'non good'.

I have recently been introduced to the term 'neuro ELITE ism' where people think of how they see the world as 'good' and if anyone has a different way of looking at it that distrurbs their sensibilities, it is discordant to them and considered 'wrong' or even 'evil'.

People don't have to be from another culture to see things that way.

Merle

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 2:11 pm

Maybe I should move to Germany. 8)

emo000
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Nov 2007, 2:14 pm

antartica & parts of alaska

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Nov 2007, 3:08 pm

Germany is a good place to be an Aspie.

sleepless168

22 Nov 2007, 3:39 pm

Latin America is relatively a bad place for aspies because people are more visceral and emotional, they spot you somewhat easier. But its hard to say, because for the same reason, people are closer together in social networks, so they are less prone to discriminate in real terms.
They say for example that people with mental problems (not that we aspies fall into that description) in places like america have it worse, because people are individualistic and prefer to abandon people at mental institutions. In countries like Latin America people who have at least some functioning are blended into society, so they deteriorate less.

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2007, 3:43 pm

agmoie wrote:
Germany is a good place to be an Aspie.

I was an exchange student there for a semester, and frequently convinced the natives that I was one of them. I thought that it was just because I spoke the language decently and faked the accent perfectly, but maybe it was my body language too.

Of course, there were just as many times I stood out and/or looked like an ass because I just couldn't pick up on something. I had to almost get run over 6 times by annoyed cyclists before I realized why the third of the sidewalk I'd been walking on was red instead of white.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 3:56 pm

sleepless168 wrote:
Latin America is relatively a bad place for aspies because people are more visceral and emotional, they spot you somewhat easier. But its hard to say, because for the same reason, people are closer together in social networks, so they are less prone to discriminate in real terms.
They say for example that people with mental problems (not that we aspies fall into that description) in places like america have it worse, because people are individualistic and prefer to abandon people at mental institutions. In countries like Latin America people who have at least some functioning are blended into society, so they deteriorate less.

I'm a Mexican and I can say that, while people with mental problems are indeed less likely to be dumped away by their families, Mexican society's overall attitude to mental illness is awful (except in the case of depression, which is fashionable among the elite). Plus, if you do end up in a institution, it's going to be much, much worse than in the developed world. It's not a good place to be an aspie, either (though the US is probably worse).
I don't know about Japan, people who have lived there tell me that communication (in Japanese at least) is based on innuendo and hints, they are not at all direct, which doesn't sound good for aspies. Also, it's a very hierarchical society, which I wouldn't like; finally I have read that they tend to be anti-individualistic. While the food's awesome, I wouldn't want to live there.
I have never been to Germany.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 4:36 pm

I guess it depends on what your salient aspie traits are.

I was born and grew up in Latin America and I can tell you it's hell for aspies. Too close-knit and conventional and homogeneous. I fled.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 4:39 pm

Not that I have great knowledge about this, but I think the best bets may be Canada and France.

Canada because it's kinda seen as normal to live in isolation, and you get gov't help that you don't stand out for being unable to support yourself.

France because there's more deep thinkers there than in other countries, people who are focused on their thoughts more than the outside.