Finding a New Job and Moving Out of State

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

heyyoujess
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2007, 1:29 pm

Has anyone here ever changed jobs out of state and moved as a result?

I'm a programmer, and I'm looking to get out of the rotten, over-populated state of California before the pace of life puts me over the edge :x. I want to move somewhere colder, quieter, and with a cheaper cost of living, and I've decided that the Midwest is probably a good bet for the lifestyle I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, I really have no idea how well I can handle phone-interviews in order to get a new job somewhere else.

So, questions:
1. Do you have any tips on how to look for a job in a faraway state?
2. Once I find one I think I might be able to hold, do you have any tips for how to interview well on the phone?
3. Does anyone have any parts of the Midwest that they would like to either recommend or speak against?

Thanks everyone!

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2007, 1:50 pm

2. Apply for any job that you are even remotely qualified for and take any interview you are offered (phone, in-person, whatever), weather you really want the job or not. The reason- practice! Get used to the interview environment, what sorts of questions to prepare for, get feedback on your resume, and just build confidence talking to an interviewer. Nothing bad can happen. If you get an offer you can always turn it down.

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Nov 2007, 2:02 pm

ALASKA!! !!ALASKA!! !!ALASKA!! !! !
Phone interviews are common here, go to
helpwantedAlaska.com
I think it is. I left Calif also and have lived ALL OVER the U.S. and in Europe, and Alaska is the only place I will stay, nicest people, good pay, weather is not near as bad as we let you all think (we don't want too many of you all flocking up here :D )

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 2:06 pm

I had to move myself from Detroit, Michigan which is a dying area for jobs, to Cincinnati, Ohio. Didn't wanna do it, as it sucks leaving 25 years of familiarity, but I had to or else settle for some dead-end job that wouldn't use my degree.

I think the best advice for interviews, phone or physical, is to never show any doubt in your abilities. Answer every question with what u can do and have done and never mention your short-comings. Employers already know you're not perfect w/o u bad-mouthing yourself.

The bonus with going for far off jobs is if u make it past the phone interview and ask u to come out on site, the chances you're getting hired is much more likely. Most worthwhile companies will pay for your travel expenses, & they won't just do that for anyone they might just brush off. Also, the fact you're willing to leave everything behind & start a life in a new city with only the job drawing u there says more about your character & dedication than anything on your resume ever could.

heyyoujess

08 Dec 2007, 4:12 pm

Thanks so much for all your advice! Time to start phone interviewing! :D :| :!: