Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 10:08 pm

Has there ever been any studies done to indicate a correlation between rates of Autism and marriages between first cousins? I put this in general autism discussion because I am not sure where this would fit in.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2007, 10:30 pm

Ha ha... "Inbreeeders!"

You might get a bit of backlash over a few Aspies and Auties that will take offence at this question.

Like all genetic conditions, especially those that are recessive, inbreeding can greatly heighten the chances of having offspring with those conditions. Also, if there are new genetic abonrmalities unique to a certain familial branch, then inbreeding is often the only way such DNA typos can become actual defective properties, as breeding with partners outside of that family will overrule the glitch in many cases (as the child will take their attributes from the correct, undefective side of the genetic code).

There may possibly be a higher incidence of ASD in first cousin pairings, but they'd be by no means exclusive to such a union.

otakucore
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2007, 10:34 pm

I do not have a answer to your question but this well defiantly caught my attention. Now I did not think it was legal to even marry your 1st cousins. I have heard of people marrying there second cousins though and do believe that is legal.

I will not get into the facts of my opinion on it. To prevent a argument.

Well the gist is I am just curious what brought this question on if I might ask.

Though to throw a guess at it IMO seems a NTs be more likely to do that. Unless the cousin is a Aspie to.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 10:54 pm

Here is a map of what states allow and don't allow first-cousin marriages.

http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=states

Last edited by Silver_Meteor on 26 Nov 2007, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 10:56 pm

otakucore wrote:
Now I did not think it was legal to even marry your 1st cousins.

My husband has a friend whose parents are first cousins. Don't know about any Aspieism in the family though.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2007, 11:01 pm

Silver_Meteor wrote:
Here is a map of what states allow and don't allow first-cousin marriages.

http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=states

Hmmm, where's Shelbyville?

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 11:14 pm

otakucore wrote:
I do not have a answer to your question but this well defiantly caught my attention. Now I did not think it was legal to even marry your 1st cousins. I have heard of people marrying there second cousins though and do believe that is legal.

I will not get into the facts of my opinion on it. To prevent a argument.

Well the gist is I am just curious what brought this question on if I might ask.

Though to throw a guess at it IMO seems a NTs be more likely to do that. Unless the cousin is a Aspie to.

Just kind of something that I've wondered about. And I ran across this on the internet. Yes I am aware this particular subject is really pushing the limits here:

Michael Wade: We are using population, molecular, and experimental genetic methods to investigate the ways in which genes interact. Gene interactions cause inbreeding depression when there are matings between close genetic relatives; they cause new species to form when populations become so genetically different from one another that hybrids between them fail to reproduce successfully; and, they cause complex diseases in the human population, like autism, diabetes, asthma, etc. Miriam Zolan

http://www.indiana.edu/~college/science ... logy.shtml

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 11:48 pm

hmmm... interesting idea, but I cannot think of anyone in my family who was actually first cousins/married... I can't trace it all the way back, of course, lol, as I'm kind of stuck when it comes to my father's side of the family since I didn't really know him, but the rest of my family was most definitely NOT first cousins, lol. Then again, the farthest back that I know of is Machine Gun Kelly being in my family somewhere along the line, and Belle Star... there could be more to it, but since them, no.

I'm my own guinea pig.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 11:51 pm

My mother's side of the family is full of in-breeding, with many first-cousin marriages. :) There were a lot of crazy people in her family, and a lot of sane people too, and my father's side is full of moody people (and okay people too).

otakucore
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2007, 12:15 am

Well I have learned something new today. I also misunderstood the question. I thought it was Aspies being more likely to do such a thing.

When actually was being Aspies being a result of inbreeding. My opinion on that will remain quite to.

I can think back all the way to my great grandparents on both sides all were non-related. I am 2nd generation city born. Mother side of ancestors were country folk farmers from small towns. Most of them still are. I would think that make it a higher chance of inbreeding there. This is interesting though. I will interrogate my grandmother about family history on this matter. I always enjoy bringing up taboo subjects with her.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 12:31 am

Lol, Not only are my parents unrelated, they aren't even the same race. My husband's families are also different ethnicities. Though, his first wife left him for her first cousin.

ingenue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Nov 2007, 4:14 am

Interesting thread.....

My parents are first-cousins (their mothers are sisters). I believe they are both 100 % NT. Is it the reason why I have aspie traits?

joeyThing81
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2007, 4:48 am

interesting.

I remember somebody saying recently that autism is evenly spread throughout all races. Now marrying cousins is quite frowned upon in western countries, however in Pakistan and maybe other places like that it is very prevalent. You can see this in the number of "Small headed people", i think that's what they refer to them as, basically people people with small heads and mental retardation due to the intermarriage. This means that if it was related to cousin couples you would see a grater number out auties within the Pakistani community, which contradicts with the original statement. So I'm going to say no. In my case i think I'm aspie and my parents are from different countries if that is of any consequence

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 10:08 am

joeyThing81 wrote:
interesting.

I remember somebody saying recently that autism is evenly spread throughout all races. Now marrying cousins is quite frowned upon in western countries, however in Pakistan and maybe other places like that it is very prevalent. You can see this in the number of "Small headed people", i think that's what they refer to them as, basically people people with small heads and mental retardation due to the intermarriage. This means that if it was related to cousin couples you would see a grater number out auties within the Pakistani community, which contradicts with the original statement. So I'm going to say no. In my case i think I'm aspie and my parents are from different countries if that is of any consequence

I have read that first-cousin marriages are also very common in Saudi Arabia and I am wondering if the rates of autism per 100,000 are higher in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia compared to the US. On the other hand researchers have found an autism gene in 2005.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 224433.htm

But does this mean that all cases of autism are genetic?