Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 4:25 pm

My handwriting is just as bad now, as a junior in High School, as it was in second grade, when I was 6.
I actually got a diagnosis for it a bit before 6th grade, it's called Dysgraphia(probably spelled wrong), and IS an actual thing. It basically means that my handwriting will always be illegible, and, even if I slow down and take my time, will still be ugly and hard to read.

I am excellent at doing math as well as composing intuitive essays for english class, as are many Aspies and people with 'high functioning autism' but my handwriting has always proved a huge challenge for me.

All my teachers know about my dysgraphia and my AS from doctors notes, but few of them understand what they mean. I sound like I'm making excuses when I try to explain to them that I can't help my poor handwriting, and that I have organizational challenges due to my AS and they may need to occasionally give me a little leeway if I forget a book in my locker or my homework at home. If it wasn't for the doctor's note, they probably wouldn't even believe me.

I've made immense progress in my homework ethic and even gotten past many of my social difficulties as an Aspie, so my teachers assume that the doctor's note must be over exaggerated. They tell me to print neater, but they don't understand that I can't. As you can imagine, many of my peers and even many of my friends do not understand my horrible handwriting either, so they often joke about it good naturedly but it still hurts even though I know they don't mean to hurt me.

This eccentricity definitally affects me just as much, if not more so, than my AS diagnosis.
Sorry about my rant, it seems so insignificant. But so many people take their legible handwritting for granted, but this is a very difficult part of my life.
Does anyone else have or have heard of Dysgraphia here?

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 4:37 pm

Certainty do
My dad described my handwriting as "As if a spider crawled out of the inkwell and across the page"
It's still the same 40 years or so on :)

I can manage quite acceptable calligraphy but that is drawing each letter one at a time and no substitute for writing.

I have always found it very fustrating and was another addition to the vile hell that were my school-days.
I am somewhat glad of the invention of the Laptop :)

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

08 Dec 2007, 5:10 pm

I do not know if I have dysgraphia or not (and you spelled it perfectly), but my handwriting has always been horrible. I can't write in cursive, and must print. No matter what I do, I can't write very legibly. School is in my rear view mirror, at least for a time, and I am very glad we type our assignments nowadays.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 5:11 pm

mine comes and goes. One thing I have noticed is that I have very masculine handwriting.
I see all this handwriting from girls that looks all round and loopy and bubbly...my handwriting is both very bad and looks like boys handwriting.

I often block print for legibility..and when I am tired or extra distracted, then my motor skills with writing slip and the result is barely legible chicken scratch

Nikki88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2007, 5:26 pm

Oh, yes. I have it too - my handwriting, while not completely illegible, is certainly extremely ugly and looks no different than it did when I was about seven - and I'm currently a freshman in college. Added to the fact that my hand gets tired very, very quickly when I'm writing, plus my overall slowness, I use up every bit of extra time that I qualify for on essay exams - when I can't get away with typing, anyway.

Plus, I've noticed that the more tired my hand gets, the larger my handwriting becomes - I've had a single letter take up three lines of notebook paper on more than one occasion.

For some reason, however, my handwriting in Japanese is a bit better - certainly not pretty. It's just . . . easier for me to write than cursive or printing. Weird, huh? o.O

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 5:38 pm

Nikki88 wrote:
Plus, I've noticed that the more tired my hand gets, the larger my handwriting becomes - I've had a single letter take up three lines of notebook paper on more than one occasion.

Same here. I go through notebooks at LEAST twice as fast as other students. A quarter of a page of notes for them is a page and a half to 2 pages or more for me. If I do try to write smaller, then my hand get exteremely tired and the writing is impossible for even me to decipher.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 5:43 pm

i have dysgraphia as well, all throughout school i have heard write slowly neatly and on the lines (3 lined paper) i too wished my teachers understood aspergers and dysgraphia its a pain getting through something to just read it to class (such as journal) to stop mid sentance because you dont know what the word is even though you wrote it, or to hand something in to be told redo your work, "this is unacceptable"! !

schools seem to think that sloppy writing means in a hurry (adhd) dont understand the material being taught or just dont care. i figure thats why it seemed when id complain about how easy my classwork was to guidance office in high school then the next year place me a an even EASIER class then the year before. it actually felt like kindergarten but no field trips or all other kids in wheelchairs(i went to a special needs elementry school)

to fix my problem, i did find a way to bring it almost back to normal, (too bad i thought of it at like 7 or so weeks before school let out in 2002) by the use of adaptive technology, although low tech heck it worked really well. i wasnt tied to the wall with powercords or having to rob the classroom printer or depend on batteries. my simple yet low tech device (most of you know by now what it is) that silver thing in my avator(commercial door closer).

i really think that teachers would have thought differantly about my handwriting if i had thought of using the closer for an adaptive device more less had one back in elementry years and seen that i have abilities and wasnt discriminated academically meaning teachers telling me what i academically can and cannot do.

i mean big deal, i write with a closer instead of a pencil grip or alphasmart, i took an everyday object and used it to my advantage,

ok i think thats it for my school days and handwriting, i can almost start to hear the tune hail to the chief(that song thats played when president is going somewere)

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

08 Dec 2007, 6:19 pm

I tend to have sloppy handwriting, which is ironic because I'm pretty good at sketching from real life. One thing few people realize is that you don't need good motor skills at all to be a good artist, but that's another topic altogether. It surprises me is how poor all of my professors' handwriting is. They grade so fast that it's absolutely unreadable. On the chalk board it's usually clear tho.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2007, 8:22 pm

I also had problems learning how to write and print well. It took me years (I think until the end of Junior High, almost the beginning of High School) to write in script and sign my name. To this day my handwriting isn't the greatest. As a matter of fact for some reason I've been having trouble signing my name properly. I get nervous with this because my signature varies so much lately. It doesn't look good when you go to a bank and you have to sign a check twice so that the signature matches the one on your signature card.

Stevopedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2007, 10:20 pm

My handwriting is actually fairly good, but there are some other aspies that I know (both higher and lower functioning than I) whose handwriting is not as good.

It would seem that aspies tend to have bad handwriting, but that of course isn't to say that all aspies have bad handwriting.

Spriteling
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2007, 10:28 pm

My handwriting is lamentable. Even when I go quite slowly, it always looks terrible. It has been the subject of several jokes. So, whenever possible, I will type things on my laptop and print them out or turn them in by email.

Misaki
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Dec 2007, 11:46 pm

My teachers despaired of me ever writing legibly when I was in primary school. My cursive improved, but I often find that I can't read my writing from two days ago. I'm trying to return to print, because I think it might look neater then.

Ioini
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2007, 12:24 am

Yep, my hand writing just plain sucks. I have to use a computer scan my paper and type on it using Adobe Acrobat to compensate for it.

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2007, 5:46 am

My handwriting used to be completely illegible but I got so sick of teachers telling me to re-do all my work because it wasn't neat enough that I spent years working on improving my handwriting. Now my handwriting is only really bad when I am writing quickly.

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2007, 10:22 am

My cursive sucks, but my print is okay. I think it's been pretty neat ever since I started writing, but it's getting a bit messier just 'cause I write faster lately. But it's never super bad.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 2:12 pm

My handwriting is absolutely terrible, but quite legible. It's more random font, scruffy characters. You can tell it's mine from the letters and general untidiness.