Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Chauo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2007, 5:59 am

Hello.

This is totally unscientific but it seems to me that it's more common for people who are sort of "aspieish" then "regular" people to like sci fi.

Personally, I don't think I have enough aspietraits to qualify for a diagnosis. (Or maybe I do, I dont know. But at this point in my life it don't seem that relevant either way. I know who I am with my strengths and weaknessess. And I know that I am somewhat different, but I kinda like to be a little bit different.) Anyway, when I was a child me and my best friend were totally into "V" (yes I grew up in the 80s :) ) and I have sort of liked sci fi ever sense. I'm not as fanatic as some, but still. :)

Do you think that there is something about having aspietraits that makes you/us more likely to be interested in sci fi and, if so, why do you think that is?

fabshelly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2007, 6:01 am

Oh! V! I loved that! I wanted to be just like Diana when I grew up...

...oh, wait, that's bad, isn't it?

Never mind.

Chauo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2007, 6:03 am

:lol:

Yes. Thats very bad! Shame on you! :p

I wanted to be just like Julie Parrish. I thought she was a real heroine.

Ferrelas
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Dec 2007, 6:18 am

Personally I don't like sci-fi, but I think that it might be because of my horrible experience of Gundam SEED. It's also because most sci-fi is based on the notion that space is awesome and stuff, a notion that I don't share. However I think I'd like philosophical sci-fi like Childhoods End and stuff by Isaac Asimov.

I'd rather say that people who like sci-fi are more prone to be less NT than most people.

Here's a link to an online test wich can give you a hint at the question if you have AS or not:
http://www.piepalace.ca/blog/asperger-test-aq-test

I find it both usefull and kinda accurate, it's because of that I noticed I had it. :)

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 7:17 am

There does seem to be link but it is not universal.
I have loved Si-Fi all my life and many of my friends (many of whom are a tad spectrumy if not AS) do.

Ferrelas wrote:
Here's a link to an online test wich can give you a hint at the question if you have AS or not:
http://www.piepalace.ca/blog/asperger-test-aq-test

I find it both usefull and kinda accurate, it's because of that I noticed I had it. :)

I have seen this test in many guises but I think this one has the best presentation I have seen :)

criss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 10:32 am

I find SF so borring, always have, I don't understand how people on the spectrum like it, I mean it seems so deterministic and lacking in simplicity and beauty, most NT women remind me of aliens, where as most of the daggy AS women I know seem so naturally a breath of simple fresh air to me.

Give me a boat than a flying saucer anyday

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2007, 10:32 am

Sci-Fi? It's implied in my name. ;) But I'd qualify it by saying I'm not strictly sci-fi; I like fantasy as well, but not strictly fantasy; I like mythology as well. What I'm saying is that I don't think it's the trappings of the genre as much as the idea of otherwordliness that might attract us, whether it's robots, dragons, or deities? Which is odd if you think about the idea that Aspies are supposedly not good with metaphors, and take things literally...maybe that's why you see Spock-eared wookies at conventions. Though I have no problem with the metaphors, but then, I'm obsessed with metaphors....

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2007, 10:42 am

Well we don't fit into this world, so of course we enjoy imagining other worlds where we might.

I also loved V. My favorite character was Willy (the friendly, nerdy Visitor).
That actor is the same guy who plays Freddy Krueger.
I was never scared of Freddy because I knew that :lol:

MrGrey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Dec 2007, 12:12 pm

I'm quite fond of hard sci-fi meself (i.e. tech with limitations rather than machines that work by magic). I'm not sure there's a link between asperger's and sci-fi but there certainly seems to be a fair bit of overlap.

10 Dec 2007, 1:57 pm

Liking sci-fi is not an aspie trait. You don't need to be into sci-fi to qualify for a diagnoses. I'm not into sci fi even though I like some sci fi movies. I have known some NTs who love sci-fi. My brother is an example and so is my Dad but he has a few aspie traits.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 3:05 pm

I'm a big sci-fi fan but I'm wondering which way we should approach this. Is the original poster saying that most people who have AS are into sci-fi or are they saying that everyone who is a sci-fi fan might have AS?

Ed Almos

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 3:18 pm

I mainly like "Hard" Sci-Fi novels and short stories. If faster-then-light travel is needed for the plot I'd rather an author use wormholes, which may be possible based our current knowledge of physics, instead of warp drives. I especially like Sci-fi that has Transhumanist and/or Singularitarian themes since I am a transhumanist.

Chauo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2007, 5:19 pm

MrGrey wrote:
I'm quite fond of hard sci-fi meself (i.e. tech with limitations rather than machines that work by magic). I'm not sure there's a link between asperger's and sci-fi but there certainly seems to be a fair bit of overlap.

I think I get what you mean. I like sci fi that seems realistic, like Contact or Signs. I can also like a movie about for example a deadly virus and scientists that are trying to find a cure.

But it sort of takes the mystery out of it when the guys in SG1 steps thru the stargate and the people on the other side, that have never met people from earth before, speaks english.

Last edited by Chauo on 10 Dec 2007, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chauo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2007, 5:24 pm

Spokane Girl and Edal.

I'm definitely not saying that likeing sci fi makes someone an aspie. I know it is not a diagnos criteria.

I was just thinking that maybe there is an overlap.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 5:39 pm

It depends what it is... some sci-fi I love, other stuff bores me to death. Fantasty I'm not into at all, LOTR etc bores me (I don't dislike it, and it is entertaining seeing places I drive past every day on the big screen with auks and stuff running through them...! I'm just not that into it). But there is definitely some sci-fi that I love.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 5:43 pm

I used to watch many, many many hours of the old "Lost in Space" series, growing up. :P Good days...