Page 1 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

hiunikel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2008, 4:36 pm

i wanna know if you share me same feeling when i say that i remember somethings happened to me when i was just 3 years old
even my mother doesn't beleive me when i talk about things happened in that age , and she thinks that someone else had told me that
now i want to know if any one else , have such experience or knows anything about such cases to let me know
please
thank's in advance ! !!

Last edited by hiunikel on 22 Jan 2008, 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Jan 2008, 4:40 pm

I remember quite a bit when I was 3.

I think this is common for ASD individuals, for whatever reason.

chefjenny
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2008, 4:40 pm

I remember quite a few things from before the age of 5, but I couldn't tell you how old I really was. There's just lots of little things from living in the apartment in Cali that I remember. I've told my mom about them, but she never questioned me - she just didn't remember it at all.

I didn't think this was weird until you just posted XD Now I'm going to go around finding out if my friends have a lot of really early memories.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 4:42 pm

It is said that many spectrumites have great photographic memory, yet have horrible short-term memory.

Considering I fit into this as well, I tend to agree.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

aspiebeauty87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jan 2008, 4:46 pm

cuz I could remember people & places but not names of things maybe I do have photographic memory (somewhat). I could remember anything from years & years ago but can't remember what I did like 5 mins ago, LOL

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 4:48 pm

Confirmed. Some I have not related to my family because its just too remarkable, but one memory in particular I argued over for most of my life. mom eventually became convinced. What I had to do was provide details, details, details. then she saw the dichotomy between that of her own memories and was convinced. What did it was the way I described the sunlight shining in a window. It showed that we lived somewhere else.. she thought I was remembering later in life.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 4:57 pm

Yea I can even remember taking my first steps haha

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 5:04 pm

I have detailed memories of my early years. My earliest memory is from when I was less than one year old. It is of a certain sheet, and my bedroom. I described the pattern on the sheet to my mother. She said that she had that she stopped using that sheet on my crib when I was about one year old, and that I had described it accurately. I have a lot of memories from when I was 12 months to 24 months old. I remember conversations I had with my parents, and all kinds of details. These are all the kinds of things that people don't talk about years later, so I know they are real memories, not based on something I overheard my parents talking about.

LVBen
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2008, 5:13 pm

hiunikel wrote:
i wanna know if you share me same feeling when i say that i remember something happened to me and i was just 3 years old
even my mother doesn't beleive me when i talk for things happened in that age , and she thinks that someone else had told me that
now i want to know if any one else , have such experience or knows anything about such cases to let me know
please
thank's in advance

I remember several of the details when my younger brother was born. I can picture several of the day's events in my head. It was a few weeks before my 3rd birthday. Keep it mind that it was a home birth and not a hospital birth. I remember eating pizza at the round wooden table that we had in our kitchen while my mom laid in her bed just through the doorway. I remember my mom lying in the queen-sized bed that they have had for many years and asking me to hold her hand while she pushed my brother out.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 5:14 pm

Age1600 wrote:
Yea I can even remember taking my first steps haha

I vaguely remember learning to walk. I have clearer memories of learning to climb stairs.

I also remember when I spoke my first sentence. It was the title of a picture book about birds. I saw something that reminded me of the book, so I pointed and shouted out the title. Then my mom got excited and told me that I had just spoken my first sentence. Then she explained to me what I sentence was. In retrospect, I realize it's odd that I knew about book titles and how to relate books to real life, and yet I didn't know what a sentence was.

hiunikel

17 Jan 2008, 5:18 pm

i think its a blessing to be able to remember many things that many hapend withing the phase of brain growth

absolutly it is a miraculous feature

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 5:19 pm

I remember some things back to before age 1. So does my autistic brother. My non-autistic brother doesn't.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 5:22 pm

My memory of pre-4 is very fuzzy. My husband can remember things from 2 1/2 or just before that. He can remember waiting for his dad to come home from work and his dad left the family when he was 2 1/2. He has all sorts of memories.
My adoptive (NT) parents don't remember anything from their early childhood.

I always associated strong memory with strong negative emotions. Like my first memories are of being told on, getting in trouble, being afraid, falling out of bed and getting scolded for it. My husband lost his dad, was severely abused and moved around before he was 3. But he does have a block during a time where I think he was sent to Maclaren Hall (sp?). I also have a memory block of second grade when some rotten stuff happened to me.

But I don't know really how we remember and forget stuff.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 5:22 pm

I have several vivid memories from before I could walk or talk so I guess before the age of two.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 5:28 pm

yeah, loads- I still remember dreams I had before I was three!

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 5:38 pm

One of the theories/explanations for the way aspergians/autistics process information, especially autistic savants, is that compared to NTs, our brains aren't as good at disregarding "unimportant" information. Now the thing is, "unimportant" information is basically anything not used in natural everyday life. But this includes things like the ability to focus on technical details in fields like computers and engineering, and probably events in your early life (keep in mind, this is from a survival viewpoint, not a nostalgic viewpoint where some of us might want to remember)

Now I don't really know enough about biology to look at this theory from that point, but from an artificial intelligence viewpoint this makes a lot of sense. Some tasks that we take for granted, such as facial recognition, are being found to be enormously computationally complex. Now if you look at some savants, a lot of them have photographic memories and some are able to retain virtually every fact they've ever heard or read. At first, it may seem that these feats would take more raw brainpower than tasks such as recognizing or being able to read people's faces, but in fact it's the opposite. So computationally, it makes perfect sense that a slight deficiency in social skills could free up the brainpower for extremely well-developed memory and technical/academic skills.