Memories without a recollection of year?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2008, 2:47 pm

This happens to me a lot, where I forget the years when a memory occurred. Memories from 5 years ago seem like it happened last month. My ignorance to time is prevalent that I often forget how old I am, often thinking I'm much younger. I'm always losing track of time, thinking it's been only 5-10 minutes when it has actually been 30-45.

Anyone else experiences this?

Grimfaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2008, 2:50 pm

All the time. I think it is related to how I inventory memories. I just never tag anything with a time/date stamp but attach a code # to them so that they can all be sorted chronologically. It ends up that I always know what order things have happened but can rarely tell you the date/time. This follows through with everything in that I know what order everything needs to happen in/has happened in but don't have a clue how long or exactly when they took place.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Jan 2008, 3:45 pm

hmmm... I dont have that problem. Of course I only have about 25 years worth of memories (I am 25). As you get older, memories fade and of course you probably have many more memories. I remember things usually very clearly, not so much people and words, but sensations, vision. I can remember a year for every memory I have so far.

WinterRose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2008, 4:25 pm

I have no sense of time and i can't remember when memories took place either unless i can't link them to something spicific like graduation. I tend to arbitrarily assign time periods to memories. For instance most memories from when i was young were when i was "around seven" most memory's from when i was a teenager were "around fifteen". I even have trouble with recent memories. For instance the other day i was thinking i couldn't have posably graduated 6 years ago because i just had my 5 year reunion a couple months ago... i had to think about it for quite a while before i realized it had been a year and a few months.

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 4:30 pm

It hard once you're out of school. theres no tags to the years to seperate them.

I try to remember things by whom I was going out with at the time ewhich ties into what movie we saw which leads to when the movie was released etc.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Jan 2008, 4:33 pm

TrueDave wrote:
It hard once you're out of school. theres no tags to the years to seperate them.

I try to remember things by whom I was going out with at the time ewhich ties into what movie we saw which leads to when the movie was released etc.

OMG, I never thought about that. I just left collage 3 years ago, so thats a very short time I can usually pinpoint the years by whats going on in life but as time goes on you are right I think itll become harder!

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2008, 4:55 pm

woodsman25 wrote:
hmmm... I dont have that problem. Of course I only have about 25 years worth of memories (I am 25). As you get older, memories fade and of course you probably have many more memories. I remember things usually very clearly, not so much people and words, but sensations, vision. I can remember a year for every memory I have so far.

Heh, I'm 23. I've always had this problem. People look at me as if I'm stupid because I have to pause and think "Seriously, how old am I?"

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2008, 5:01 pm

Due to my Transformer fixation, I find I can logically determime what year something happened based on what TF toys I received as presents for Easter, my birthday, (August), and Christmas around the time of the other events.

It did get harder after college though, and it didn't help that TF started to suck just before I graduated (Beast Machines' abbreviation is BM for a reason). Stuff from high school that occured once I could drive gets mixed up with college occasionally, and the string of meaningless retail jobs I've had since college instead of a career are easily confused with my summer jobs during college as well.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 6:41 pm

Yeah, there was a survey done earlier. The end result is that even those that seemed to have PERFECT memories remember based on the propinquity of events.

It is kind of like how a computer finds a file. EVEN if you specify the "fully resolved file name", it STILL has to navigate the directories to find the actual file.

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2008, 8:21 pm

All the time, I can't remember what year or how old I was when something happened. It's kind of a problem.

Xingularity
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2008, 8:38 pm

I have a similar issue, specifically with recent memories. It goes like this: I'll be told / discover something that I previously knew nothing about, then I'll think back to this knowledge (within an hour a day or a week) and it will seem as if I've known it for a much longer time, perhaps months or even years. Only by a logical deduction can I confirm when I actually made the discovery (Bob told me that, I only met Bob last week; therefore it couldn't have been "months").

Does this "version" happen to anyone else?