Post an Analogy relating Autism/Aspergers

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 10:44 pm

"It's like most people have an 'autopilot' that controls their facial expressions according to their feelings. For me, it's like the autopilot has malfunctioned and there's a technician in there trying to figure out how to work the facial expressions on the dashboard, but it's really difficult because the operating manual in written in Japanese and he's got nothing else to help him." :geek:

Meophist
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Feb 2008, 10:48 pm

It's like you were born on the wrong planet.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 10:51 pm

At one point in my life, I believed that I was made human by mistake. Somewhere out there was a critter with a himan soul and both of us were in the wrong bodies.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Feb 2008, 10:52 pm

It's like being at a book club discussing a book and then finding out that no one speaks English and no one read the same book as you.

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 10:55 pm

Much like being a cat stuck in the body of a dog. To other dogs I appear as a dog, but when interacting with them, it's clearly apparent that I'm not a dog. I don't adhere to their hierarchy, I am my own being.

Divest
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Feb 2008, 11:19 pm

For me its like seeing through the world but no one is looking back at me

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 12:12 am

AWESOME analogy, xyzyxx.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 12:14 am

k96822 wrote:
AWESOME analogy, xyzyxx.
I came up with it myself :D

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 12:25 am

My memory is like a soda machine, sometimes it'll accept your bill, sometimes it won't.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 12:28 am

It's like being a freshwater fish in salt water.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Feb 2008, 12:29 am

It's like when I was born, the doctor gave me a magnifying glass to look at everything with, but he gave most people regular eyeglasses.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 12:44 am

ev8 wrote:
It's like when I was born, the doctor gave me a magnifying glass to look at everything with, but he gave most people regular eyeglasses.

I know exactly what you mean -- you can find amazing beauty in the reflections in a glass of water. Show an NT this wonder and they look at you like you're insane. "Only you would notice that," they say, dismissively.

Some NT's seem to be PROUD of not noticing things. Many seem PROUD of not KNOWING things as well. It gives them social status. I'm feeling bile in my throat thinking of it. Yeck.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 12:57 am

k96822 wrote:
"Only you would notice that," they say, dismissively.
Oh, how many times I've heard that. :D

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2008, 12:59 am

For most people, I guess the feeling might be similar to going to a foriegn country for the first time. No one speaks your language fluently, and you don't speak theirs fluently, but you know just enough to get by. You understand most of the words but still misinterpret quite a bit. Your not really sure what's expected of you, if you reacted appropriately to this or that, or if said or did something stupid. And even if you know what to do in some situations, you have a hard time making it look natuaral, so often you don't even try. Some things are even a little scary. You know everything about you screams tourist, and you don't know who to trust.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 3:13 am

My inability to show my emotions on my face, yet at the same time master the art of 'normality' has caused me so much distress and heartache. from never being taken serriously in personal relationships to health care professionals and others having very unrealistic expectations of me.

My dx has been a Godsend in this respect, as now I can say, "dont be alarmed, I am not a psycho, but what you see is not what you get" It's weired, how I can articulate my distress with such clarity yet no one has taken me serriously in distress pre dx due to my lack of facial concern.

Thank God for my dx. and for sites like this to bring this issue home.

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 3:21 am

Everyone is enjoying the forest and I'm hyper-analyzing each tree.