Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2005, 11:39 pm

I've been a member of this site since March 2005. I noticed that some threads, especially the ones in the School and College Life forum, tend to desribe NTs as the enemy. I've even seen "NT" used as a synonym for "bully". (I'm probably even guilty of that myself once or twice. :oops:) Despite that, I can understand why aspies would feel this way about NTs in their lives. Does anyone here agree with me on this? Post your answers.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 12:18 am

I try to avoid seeing NTs as the enemy. They are the vast majority and we are a tiny minority. It's not their job to make allowances for us, since it is more practical for the minority to conform than to expect the vast majority to conform.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans" . . . people tend to forget what this means and expect preferential treatment just for being a "non-Roman."

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 12:25 am

Sure, NT's can be annoying.

But so can people with AS.

I don't hold anything against people for being NT, but it's some of their attitudes I don't like.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 12:26 am

I don't even like the term NT - I think it causes too much of an "us vs. them" attitude. I'm trying not to get into the habit of using it.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 12:44 am

I don't like it when people ask "Why do NT's do/say/act like ___?" as if such traits are universal for and/or exclusive to NT's. Questioning such traits is fine, but "NT's" should be replaced with "people" in these contexts.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 12:49 am

i agree.

it's tempting to vent one's frustration, anger and hurt onto other people - i'm sure i do it, at times. but i don't think it's right to lump people into groups and then castigate them.

and i'm not even sure i'm in favour of the "NT" label either, pyraxis.

perhaps we should have a new motto:

"When you've seen one NT, you've seen... one NT" ;)

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 4:37 am

lowfreq50 wrote:
I try to avoid seeing NTs as the enemy. They are the vast majority and we are a tiny minority. It's not their job to make allowances for us, since it is more practical for the minority to conform than to expect the vast majority to conform.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans" . . . people tend to forget what this means and expect preferential treatment just for being a "non-Roman."

Virgil wrote:
Remember you are a Roman. It will be your job to rule over other countries, so that the world becomes peaceful and everyone obeys the law.

written by Virgil in about 20 BC/BCE

Whenever a similie that exhorts conformity is advanced I often find it useful to look beneath the surface.

So far as I can tell, Rome had a particular knack for imposing its will upon peoples who actually existed outside its sphere of influence.

Perhaps it would be more 'practical' to have a less judgemental, conformist and domineering mindset in the population generally. Then there would be less need to have a powerful group imposing its will on a minority, simply because it can.

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 5:09 am

Aspie1 wrote:
I've been a member of this site since March 2005. I noticed that some threads, especially the ones in the School and College Life forum, tend to desribe NTs as the enemy. I've even seen "NT" used as a synonym for "bully". (I'm probably even guilty of that myself once or twice. :oops:) Despite that, I can understand why aspies would feel this way about NTs in their lives. Does anyone here agree with me on this? Post your answers.

My dealings with NT's in life have been mostly good, but some pretty bad. But I would never consider NT's to be the enemy.

galatea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2005, 5:17 am

:(

Last edited by galatea on 28 Sep 2005, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 7:16 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Sure, NT's can be annoying.

But so can people with AS.

I don't hold anything against people for being NT, but it's some of their attitudes I don't like.

Exactly.

I have probably done some NT complaining too; they aren't "all" anything, really. I don't think of them as bullies. I will say this, though: I still prefer the weird NTs over the more "typical" neurotypicals. But that's just me.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 7:34 am

vetivert wrote:
perhaps we should have a new motto:

"When you've seen one NT, you've seen... one NT" ;)

"When you've seen one person, you've seen ... what you've seen of one person ... at that time, at that place, with this set of thoughts in your mind, with this set of feelings, with these eyes, with these ears..."

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 8:02 am

For me, NT means someone who is not on the spectrum. Most of them aren't that bad, but it is just a few that earn the overarching bad name for the entire category. Personally, I have met about 1 not-so-nice NT for every 10 or 15 that I meet total. Most of my friends are the "wierd NTs" that Serissa was talking about, although a few of them are the more introverted of the typical NT. ;)

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 8:56 am

I think that we sometimes use NT to categorize someone perhaps not as the enemy but as people who are outside of a circle of understanding. I refer to my very patient and loving wife as NT with no malice at all. But, as has been said, NT's like aspies or anyone else, are individuals.

Sometimes the use of the term reminds me of the term Muggle in the Harry Potter books, but that is always said with a sense of deprecation.

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 10:37 am

as lowfreq50 wrote, the phrase i live my life by is "when in rome..." so when i come to this site (my only escape from it all) i like to be a bit cheeky about the NTs because it helps me release pent-up frustration.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 10:52 am

galatea wrote:
your all mean and so are nts and so am i were all mean

That sounds like a song by Radiohead from their album Kid A: "National Anthem."
Radiohead wrote:
Everyone
Everyone around me
Everyone is so
Mean
And so am I
So am I

And everyone
Everyone is so mean
Everyone is so mean
And so am I
So am I

It's all inside!

Actually, I looked up the lyrics and heard the song wrong. It's actually near, not mean. It sounded pretty whiney before: "Everyone is so mean!" The correct lyrics actually make less sense to me, though.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 11:02 am

I prefer to think of NeuroTypicality as a confederation of disparate peoples like the athletes, the politicians, the churchmen, the writers, et al. who are united in having descended from a minority tribe in forgotten ages. This tribe—let's call them the Neuromads—were a warlike race, constantly fighting among themselves, ever dividing into new nations, constantly bickering over who worshipped the strongest gods. Scattered in Europe, the Near East, and North Africa were the Neanderthals, nos ancêtres d'Asperger. They lived and perseverated largely in peace, hunting game and awestruck by nature. Then the Neuromads came rushing in, slaughtering the Neanderthals were the stood.

Fortunately, some Neanderthals bred with the Neuromads to create modern Homo sapiens sapiens with a mixture of autistic and NT genes. However, the NT genes of the Neuromads being in the majority, the NTs never quite finished supressing our latent Neanderthal instincts.

I would go farther, actually, and suggest the NTs are evil. They continue their oppression, which is rooted in their genes. They subconsciously see our Neanderthal behavior and attempt to ostracize us for it. NTs, even among themselves, commit all the worst atrocities: the Holocaust, the ghetto, socio-economic injustice, the gulag, and dogma. Neuromad society is the oppression of all against all; it is neuro-madness.