Have Any of Your Teachers Asked You Not To Talk As Much?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 9:10 am

I got asked by a prof last semester not to talk as much in class. It's to the point now that I only really answer stuff if no one else in the room knows it at all. The rest of the time I draw. A friend of mine sent me a doodle book (like a coloring book with various designs), and I just work on that during this particular class. I can draw and take notes with no fuss. It's just that I really enjoy the conversational aspect of the class. But she really doesn't want me to talk hardly at all.

Even when I do wait for an appropriate time, she never smiles at me or anything like she does at the other members of the class.

I can be right and have talked in a good time during class and all I get is "Uh huh, okay;" while others get praise heaped on them.

I think she feels that if she praises me at all, it will lead to more talking on my part; but really, if she would compliment me occasionally, then I would know where my boundaries were and what topics were good to speak on and I would talk less.

I don't have this problem in my other classes; not to this extent anyway. She just makes me uptight and as a result, I make more mistakes when I'm like that.

Grrr.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Mar 2008, 9:52 am

I'm usually very, very quiet in class. But I once got talked down by a teacher because I asked a lot of questions in class and was considered "disruptive."

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 10:13 am

Talking the Talk topic

All the time. I monopolized class time. Always the first with the hand, like Horshack, and with all the sound effects. In every course and programme i was ever in.

I compash, lastcrazyhorn.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 2:29 pm

Same here, teachers often just ignore that I'm aising my hand and say: "I know that you know it..."

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 2:54 pm

I'm having that issue in a few of my classes right now. (Although I have other classes where I don't talk very much at all.) I don't want to monopolize the discussion, because I hate it when other people do it, but I can't help that no one else seems to know the answer, or that I think I have something interesting to say. It's a difficult balance, definitely.

Hedgehog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2008, 12:20 pm

Sometimes; I've more often been told to stop correcting the teacher, rather than talking.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2008, 8:53 pm

One time a professor asked a question in class, and I kept raising my hand and answering the question (incorrectly) and he'd move on to the next person (who also answered incorrectly) before coming back to me. Finally after about the 3rd time of doing this, when I raised my hand again, he sort of jokingly said "Oh, you again?" Fortunately I got it right that time around otherwise I probably would have gotten embarrassed.

I asked the professor whether I was talking too much and he said that I should definitely participate. He just said that I should raise my hand and if he doesn't call on me it's because he wants to call on people who aren't as forthcoming with answering questions (class participation was required and part of the grade in that class)

So I would suggest just raising your hand whenever you want to talk and then you can't possibly talk more than the professor wants you to since she would have to call on you. Maybe I would go to office hours and just say that you liked the conversational part of the class and that you'll be raising your hand more, but that she doesn't have to call on you more than she wants.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2008, 9:49 pm

I have had teachers do this. I just can't stand having the teacher ask a question and wait 5 minutes for an answer from someone else. If I realise I am answering too much I will back off and let the rest of the class answer. I try to limit myself. But it is kinda like being in the zone, sometimes I don't realize i am doing it.

But I have this one class, Operations Management, that everyone else thinks is sooooo boring, and I have no problem answering the problems there, makes the class shorter for everyone else.

Now I also had a teacher that absolutely refused to call on me. No matter what. Whether I raised a hand or not. It got to the point where the people noticed and one day the rest of the class stopped raising their hands for one day. I loved those people. This was back in middle school.

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 3:46 pm

my creative writing teacher hated me cause i kept correcting him in front of the class. it was one of the students that told me to shut up though. he was a white kid who wore a do-rag. i'm sure he's working at Jiffy Lube now.

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

A350XWB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2008, 5:50 pm

Three courses in which I think it is a problem: calculus II (ironically the one for which I dated the girl I'm currently with), physics II and aqueous solutions chemistry.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 5:53 pm

Go to another uni.

I've found that my professors talk about my performance in class, and its positive.

its rather interesting when I meet a professor/faculty member for the first time, say my name, and their whole attitude/demeanor changes positively as they say "Oh I've heard about you."

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 7:52 pm

LostInEmulation wrote:
Same here, teachers often just ignore that I'm aising my hand and say: "I know that you know it..."

LOL, it's the same thing with me. I often got the "let someone else have a chance to answer the question" remark in high school. :lol:

CaptainMac
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Mar 2008, 9:48 pm

I get that a lot, but I don't think it has to do with my diagnosis.

I take a lot of morning classes and half the people are still asleep during them. Meanwhile, I tend to work pretty well early in the morning.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 10:38 pm

My English teacher gives me a piece of paper at the beginning of class and tells me to write all my comments down instead of saying them, which I think is a social cue meaning, "I love you, but shut up."

I talk in English class because it's fun.