Stupid/Nasty/Disturbing/Just Plain Dreadful Adverts

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 9:23 am

I chose this forum to post this in quickly, but anyway...

Are there any adverts (print, television, or online) that you hate, think are stupid, or find disgusting or disturbing? I can name some:

This is an actual screenshot of a forum here, but I circled the important aspect of it. Now why would someone buy something with an ad that says "fecal smear" on it? I looked up "fecal", and I know what "smear" means, and it makes me wonder why someone would buy dirty clothes...

-------

The whole Winterfresh "icy cool breath" ad campaign is terrible. Winterfresh smells awful to my nose, and I think something along the lines of "Stop and smell the foul roses" or "Maybe you should get your sinuses surgically removed after all" would be better.

Do you have any you don't like for whatever reason? If so, please reply with which adverts you cannot stand.

(Edited to fix image and its description.)

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 9:49 am

Faecal semar is the in thing on all the Paris catwalks this yeay, baby

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2005, 10:19 am

I think you misunderstood something. I went to the site, and it said:

"Jolly Jump Wear offers quality special needs clothing for children that engage in fecal smearing behavior. The adaptive clothing is extremely beneficial for special needs children with autism, mental retardation, Fragile X, or Down Syndrome that engage in fecal smearing behavior. Jolly Jump Wear is very effective clothing for mentally ill children that fecal smear or strip out of their clothing at unacceptable times."

It's supposed to prevent smearing. They're not selling dirty clothes on that site.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 10:52 am

Yes, the clothing isn't dirty, itself. The children who smear their feces over things and themselves are always in constant need of unstainable clothing, which I assume is a little more expensive than a T and some shorts. That link is to help pay for this clothing for kids.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2005, 11:18 am

*Note to self do not eat while reeding forums 'Goes and throws up in the corner'

But seriously people a little warning might be a good thing

Some people have issues

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 11:44 am

The burger king commercial with the statue going up to the window. If it happened to me Id be scared. :lol:

Faraquet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2005, 12:10 pm

I hate all advertisements for articles of clothing that do not have fecal smear protection. If the pants aren't protected against fecal smears who would want to buy them?

PS
I hate all commercials in which the concept behind the commercial has nothing to do with the product being sold.
i.e. Dude wins a chess game, so you should buy tampax, or middle-aged woman running through the park like a moron, so you should buy this pill for your yeast infection, may cause decreased appetite, headache, nausea, sexual side effects, anal leakage, as the lady is on a swing, giggling like a 4 year old.
Though there is always the poster of two chicks making out so that I'll want to buy the men's underwear that they are wearing... Which always works as long as they have smear protection. :wink:

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 12:24 pm

/me makes note of the 'don't manage Autism: end it' add in the top left hand corner of mich's original post...

:?

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 2:37 pm

Why is it that those sorts of ads never show up on my screen? It only has things like: Therapy for you Asperger's Child, or Learning Tools for Autistic Children. I want the interesting and contoversial ads! :lol: Kidding.

Tak
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2005, 2:47 pm

I find almost all advertisement to be offensive, I don't watch tv and change the radio station whenver it goes to commercial......

MOst of it screams, LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR.

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 12:45 pm

TB_Samurai wrote:
I think you misunderstood something. I went to the site, and it said:

"Jolly Jump Wear offers quality special needs clothing for children that engage in fecal smearing behavior. The adaptive clothing is extremely beneficial for special needs children with autism, mental retardation, Fragile X, or Down Syndrome that engage in fecal smearing behavior. Jolly Jump Wear is very effective clothing for mentally ill children that fecal smear or strip out of their clothing at unacceptable times."

It's supposed to prevent smearing. They're not selling dirty clothes on that site.

Well, the advert still is a bit...bleh. Since when has an adjective ("fecal") and a verb/noun ("smear") been considered a verb ("fecal smear"). It seems rather ungrammatical to me.

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 12:47 pm

ilikedragons wrote:
The burger king commercial with the statue going up to the window. If it happened to me Id be scared. :lol:

Me too. :lol: