Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

dustbowlrefugee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Apr 2008, 7:13 pm

Hey guys, boring question here. I've got nowhere else to ask so thought I'd try here.

Im going on holiday to the USA and am curious how much new Mexican and American Telecasters go for? I'm thinking it might be worth my while to bring one back. Everything's pretty expensive here in the UK compared to America.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 8:11 pm

From a Google search, prices for the regular Standard seem to be $400 to $450 from web-based retailers. Didn't check for the American Standard though.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 10:39 pm

The upper end Mexican ones aren't that bad, the American Standard series are a bit pricey, even if you find one used.

Although not a true Fender, the G&L (Leo Fender's last company) ASAT Classic is a better guitar than the American Standard, and a bit less expensive as well. --If you want a good guitar at a cheap price though, I would look around for Warmouth bodies and Necks, and build the thing myself. Bear in mind though that a Strat Neck will not fit a Tele neck pocket. The base of a Strat neck is rounded, whilst the base of a Tele neck is practically squared off.

Also, If was going to build a Tele, I'd shop around for a translucent yellow (IE, Limed Finish) Swamp ash body, a 'V' profiled neck, and a Bakelite pickguard to make it look as close as possible to the original Broadcaster/Nocaster/Telecaster designs from 1949 to 1953, but that's just me.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 8:42 pm

You also might want to consider getting a Squire, which is a cheaper version of a Fender. Depending on what you want to play, a Squire could meet your needs just as well.

I decided I wanted a Precision Bass after borrowing a friend's vintage Fender P-Bass for a while. I couldn't afford a Fender (new or used and in decent condition), so I had to choose between a Squire and the other basses in that price range. I got the Squire P-Bass, paid $200 for it, and am still happy with it. Of course I only use it to play simple punk rock. If I wanted to do some fancy-pants playing, I might be saving up for something different.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 12:45 am

EvilKimEvil wrote:
You also might want to consider getting a Squire, which is a cheaper version of a Fender. Depending on what you want to play, a Squire could meet your needs just as well.

I decided I wanted a Precision Bass after borrowing a friend's vintage Fender P-Bass for a while. I couldn't afford a Fender (new or used and in decent condition), so I had to choose between a Squire and the other basses in that price range. I got the Squire P-Bass, paid $200 for it, and am still happy with it. Of course I only use it to play simple punk rock. If I wanted to do some fancy-pants playing, I might be saving up for something different.

I'd recommend against the Squier, as the quality on all but the original Japanese Squier's made by Fujigen Gakki, (More famous worldwide for their Ibanez brand, as well as Fender production in 1985-1986) has not been anywhere near the quality of the higher end Fender instruments.

The later Squier guitars made in Korea, Taiwan, mainland China and Indonesia never equalled the quality of the first Squier guitars from 1983 to 1986.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 12:38 pm

Fogman wrote:
EvilKimEvil wrote:

I'd recommend against the Squier, as the quality on all but the original Japanese Squier's made by Fujigen Gakki, (More famous worldwide for their Ibanez brand, as well as Fender production in 1985-1986) has not been anywhere near the quality of the higher end Fender instruments.

The later Squier guitars made in Korea, Taiwan, mainland China and Indonesia never equalled the quality of the first Squier guitars from 1983 to 1986.

I agree completely about the quality. I mean, I don't even like most modern Fenders, so maybe I'm not in a good position to give advice here . . . Still, I think the new Squiers are all right, considering what they cost, if you're limiting yourself to new guitars. Mine has served me quite well, even though it was made in Indonesia. But I'm not as familiar with the regular guitars as I am with the basses. It's funny that I misspelled "Squier" with my bass sitting right in front of me.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 6:04 pm

I disagree about Squiers. I think it depends on the model, because my '72 Custom reissue meets all of my demands and exceeds them too in terms of sound, look, playability and durability. But a Standard, less so.

atmosphere88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2008, 1:20 am

from my experience Mexican made fender standard telecasters are $350 to $500 and American made fender standard telecasters are $1,000 and up