Anyone Else Accused of their Strange Way of Eating?

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 3:02 am

Alright, I used to hate to sit in cafeterias because people would comment on how odd I was about eating. So, I used to skip or get self-conscious whenever I ate. I thought it was a peer thing.

I had one family member ask me why I stuck my pinky out when holding a spoon or fork. Then I got commented on about how strange I looked holding silverware. I've just noticed more of this in pics. It almost looks like I'm handycapped. Also, my head is always looking down.

I guess I'm also OCD about eating. I've never been that aware of it until lately. I like to add and mix foods together. I've had a lot of people obscurely let me know I'm a weird person to eat with including my own case manager.

Does anybody else have these weird quirks when eating publicly or privately?

NeoPix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2008, 3:05 am

I eat with my mouth full, almost like a blowfish. For some reason, I can't feel satisfied unless my mouth is full. But socially, this is disgusting. So whenever I eat with others, I'm very conscious about how I eat.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 3:29 am

MissConstrue wrote:
I had one family member ask me why I stuck my pinky out when holding a spoon or fork. Then I got commented on about how strange I looked holding silverware. I've just noticed more of this in pics. It almost looks like I'm handycapped. Also, my head is always looking down.

Ditto holding out the little finger while using a knife and fork; the cutlery feels a little awkward too so I often just eat with a fork in my right hand rather than an item of cutlery in each hand. I also hold my head down. People comment that I eat like a "Chinese" with my face down into my plate and shovelling the food in like I'm using chopsticks and eating from a bowl. Another comment I get is about the speed I eat. I don't seem to have time for social graces and chit chat when eating so just eat non stop in a continuous speedy manner until everything is gone.

Another thing that baffles onlookers is that I always eat all the greens first, then other veg such as carrots, then the potatoes and finally the meat.

Can't say any of this bothers me though, unless I'm at an important function such as a business lunch then I tend to look around and follow what everyone else does, so I don't break any "rules" of etiquette.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 4:09 am

^Hahaha, "eat like a Chinese."
I'll have to remember that one.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 4:14 am

My son always eats his pizza upside down, like with the base/crust facing up :?
He will eat with fingers, I do encourage him to use a spoon at least but hey if he is eating surely that is the most important thing right?
But then again when it is finger food he wants a fork :?

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2008, 6:41 am

i always eat very fast....they always comment on that

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2008, 7:21 am

I also tend to eat really fast, and people get annoyed about that. And I also eat with my pinky finger out. I eat fast because when I was in the 6th grade I was in an over crowded school and had only about 5 minutes to eat after I got my lunch usually. I just never broke the habit of eating fast. That and I do not like to be around in really loud places such as the cafeteria, so I eat, and go to the library when I am done.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 7:22 am

Once I was informed in our school cafeteria that I was holding my spoon in a strange way. I'm unsure what she was trying to say - maybe that I was doing it clumsily?

My mother is always complaining I don't eat fast enough (and much enough, above all). She doesn't like also my habit to eat meals when they're already cold.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

29 Apr 2008, 7:33 am

When I was younger, I would always have to eat a pie while it's on a plate. If it was just in it's wrapper, I wouldn't eat it and would wait until I had a plate. Apparently I had a fear of messy foods and getting dirty...so that might explain it.

Now i'm vegan so no more pies for me anyway! (well...meat pies with pastry)

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 7:44 am

I get them quite a bit. I eat one food type at a time... finishing one item(s) off before moving onto the next. I always wanted those trays like you see in the movies where everything is separated. Not suggesting that I mind if food touches, just for convenience's sake.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 9:31 am

People used to always comment on the fact that I "smack" my food as I chew it. I used to have to eat with my mouth open when I was younger because of my bucked teeth, but even though they're fixed I suppose I never got used to eating with my mouth closed.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 9:49 am

I always want to save the best, for last. If I'm eating pizza, I like to eat the crust first. When I'm eating KFC, I like to save the delicious skin, for last.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 10:17 am

my mum would always complain that I held my silverware like a shovel when i ate. but it was uncomfortable to hold it in my hand "like a lady"... :roll:

my parents still cannot fathom that i don't like putting BBQ sauce on my meats or gravy on my taters...they also tease me about not caring if my food gets cold.

and yeah....don't like my foods touching...and i eat one thing at a time. (for that i physically rotate the plate so the food i'm focusing on is right in front of me.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 10:42 am

Simmian7 wrote:
my mum would always complain that I held my silverware like a shovel when i ate. but it was uncomfortable to hold it in my hand "like a lady"... :roll:

my parents still cannot fathom that i don't like putting BBQ sauce on my meats or gravy on my taters...they also tease me about not caring if my food gets cold.

and yeah....don't like my foods touching...and i eat one thing at a time. (for that i physically rotate the plate so the food i'm focusing on is right in front of me.

Ditto the shovel and turning the plate around to eat one thing at a time. However, I love gravy and drown everything on the plate with it. I like to mix gravy into mashed potato and make it really sloppy. Yum! :D

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 10:52 am

^I luv drowning food in either gravy or Italian or Ranch salad dressing. I get a lot of looks from that.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 11:05 am

I turn my plate around - I hate having to scoop things around the plate other than what is near is scooped towards me.

I also eat with the fork or spoon pointing sideways, never tines-first.