Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2008, 3:25 pm

you opinion?

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 4:59 pm

I try to accept everyone but emos are not my kind of people.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 5:01 pm

I think it's a stereotype that is overused :?

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 5:04 pm

Yep. I don't really understand the whole emo thing, is it supposed to be people that feel emotion? Don't the vast majority of the human race feel emotions?

And also, aren't they the same thing as the people called "goths." :?

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 5:18 pm

my opinion: all of the above. :D

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 5:52 pm

Most 'emos' are not really emos at all, but baby goths. Also, the 'emo' tag is used far too much - anyone who doesn't dress in bright clothes all the time, likes groups such as My Chemical Romance and likes to show a bit of emotion now and again seems to be automatically branded as an emo.

If people want to take part in the emo trend, that's okay. But, let's face it, emos are regarded as a bit of a joke, as the picture demonstrates:

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 6:14 pm

Emos are weird...

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 10:24 pm

Well I don't think there's a clear way to define the term except as a fashion trend of goth and pop. For example, the long fringed bangs, hair dyed black but there are exceptions of course, form fitting shirts, and tight jeans for guys while the girls can wear anything as long as it looks gothic yet poppy like short skirts to show they have some pop in them, and hair dyed red and black to show that they're gothic.

Emo can also be defined as one who uses self destruction or depression for relief or attention. Emo, I think comes from the word emotions but used in a negative term of emotions such as angry, sad, and confused.

I sometimes use it a jokingly term like most people as someone who is seeking attention by posing the all above. In other words, one who finds it fashionable to use depression and poppy goth style for an excuse to be different. Funny thing is I happen to like some goth but I'm just not into pop so there are acceptions to this "rule."

I myself used to be a cutter but I never talked about it or showed it to people. In fact, I now find it embarassing by the scars. Yet since I'm sharing this story I guess that would sort of make me an emo.

I agree though, I think the word is overrated. I'm sick of hearing it myself since it doesn't clearly define anything.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 10:51 pm

As much as the term is thrown around it's funny how many people don't know what it is. Emos are not the same thing as goths. Emo originally started out as a music style that was basically a wimpy gay version of metal for people who wanted to be metalheads but thought metal was too harsh and unpoetic. Some emo bands are actually happy, although the happy ones are so absurdly ridiculous that I think they are some of the most fun people I've met.

The bands had an unusual sense of style that really caught on. Because it is highly emotional, wimpy, and poetic, emos are frequently mistaken for goths, although they're less likely to put a curse on you. I'm not an emo by the way, but I don't judge those that are, they get a worse rap than they deserve.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 1:46 am

I don't like the scene kids. They're dressed a bit too strange for me to want to converse with. I'm afraid I'd get punctured by their wild hair.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 2:14 am

GoatOnFire wrote:
Some emo bands are actually happy, although the happy ones are so absurdly ridiculous that I think they are some of the most fun people I've met.

:o 8) :D That sounds like it's right up my alley!
Can you drop some names GOF?
Or, better yet, some u-tubes?

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 2:27 am

"Emos" personally annoy the piss out of me. You have to realize though that "emo" is a thing that a person grows out of. I have yet to see someone in their mid-twenties who considers themselves as being "emo". "Emo" annoys me because there are so many damn contradictions that go along with the "emo" thing. You have these kids who act like preps who listen to these preppy sounding angry screaming kids, yet these "emos" seem to love themselves. You see them posting pics of themselves everywhere making these stupid expressions like they want the whole world to see them, yet they still cut themselves. Doesn't make much sense to me.....

Nairin
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 6:18 am

People have called me an emo. The reason?

I cut myself once and only once.

My friend seems to think it's hilarious to make me take off my gauntlets and point out all of the scars that my cat gave me and say stuff like, "You must have re-opened it" and other stuff like that. And I have ten cat-scars on one arm.

And when I showed him the scar that I made? He LAUGHED. He just started cracking up.

I didn't do it for attention. I did it to relieve stress. And look where it got me... I have to rub the chain on my belt across my arm to stop myself from cutting.

I'm not emo, though. I'm a goth. Well, technically, I'm an optimistic semi-goth.

I'm thinking of being tested for depression, though.

Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams

supahneko
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 7:18 am

Kris94 wrote:
you opinion?

on the dress style or the cutters?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 9:31 am

......and the intensity.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 12:10 pm

I've seen them around my area. They have that long, black hair that needs to be cut, in the worse way. They're also very depressed looking. My slant on this, is that they are as different as I am, but for a different reason, which is why I give them the same respect that I give everybody else that I cross paths with, unique or mainstream. I want people to accept me as I am, therefore I accept others, as they are.