It's okay... 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
I prefer other types of math :? 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
I'm neutral on it 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 45

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 2:23 pm

I just love doing Algebra equations :D I'm not really good at them or anything, but I just feel peaceful when doing them (unlike evil word problems)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 2:37 pm

Algebra's cool, but I like discrete mathematics better. I find symbolic logic soothing...

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2008, 2:42 pm

ebec11 wrote:
I just love doing Algebra equations :D I'm not really good at them or anything, but I just feel peaceful when doing them (unlike evil word problems)

It's ok, but I like matrices and simultaneous equations better. Becoming expert in matrix operations is good training for multidimensional arrays useful in programming and statistics. If you don't have dreams about b=(X'X)-1(X'Y), you will struggle with statistics.

Here is more detail if you're interested:

http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/courses/ed231a1/notes/mr3.html

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 3:01 pm

I'm forever grateful that there are people like you, who do enjoy higher mathematics, because I'm fascinated by the scientific discoveries and the technologies it has made possible. As for myself, I'd rather give a granny a foot massage than even look at a calculation that required more than basic multiplication. Physics theory is intriguing, but the math is gibberish to me.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 3:13 pm

tailfins1959 wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

It's ok, but I like matrices and simultaneous equations better. Becoming expert in matrix operations is good training for multidimensional arrays useful in programming and statistics. If you don't have dreams about b=(X'X)-1(X'Y), you will struggle with statistics.

I'm not sure what that means....I'm only in grade ten, so I guess I don't need to know it just yet :D

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2008, 3:55 pm

ebec11 wrote:
tailfins1959 wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

I'm not sure what that means....I'm only in grade ten, so I guess I don't need to know it just yet :D

In that case, you can start with beginning Matrices and determinants. Your school is deficient if they can't fulfill a request for that.

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 4:14 pm

I so hated Algebra in school. I think the Arabs inventing it was one of the key reasons we invaded Iraq...;)

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 4:41 pm

pakled wrote:
I so hated Algebra in school. I think the Arabs inventing it was one of the key reasons we invaded Iraq...;)
Sorry for the corny joke, but shouldn't it be called "Arabebra"?

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 10:57 pm

Algebra is OK (Group Theory is interesting), though I like geometry and topology better

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 1:20 pm

I'm not fond of Geometry, but I don't dislike it. I just find it kind of boring comparing to my Algebra :D

twinklingstarlight
Raven
Raven

21 May 2008, 1:59 pm

I love algebra! I'm not sure why but it always fascinates me, more than anything else in existance. I remember back in my school days when we first covered algebra. It was a splendidly overcast day, and people's faces were grey to match - we had a whole day of maths. Everyone else in my class seemed to hate algebra, 8O but I loved it. Still do.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 7:19 pm

twinklingstarlight wrote:
I love algebra! I'm not sure why but it always fascinates me, more than anything else in existance. I remember back in my school days when we first covered algebra. It was a splendidly overcast day, and people's faces were grey to match - we had a whole day of maths. Everyone else in my class seemed to hate algebra, 8O but I loved it. Still do.
:D Everybody groaned, and I would actually say "hurry!" (I wasn't all that popular then anyways)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 12:09 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed Algebra in high school.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 2:36 pm

I loved Algebra in high school and college. I love the logical processes and the fact that there's always one right answer to every problem (I'm counting a set of solutions as one answer). I found going through the routines to solve or simplify an equation very soothing. :)

Y'all are making me want to go to the library and find an Algebra book! :lol:

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 2:51 pm

I sucked at algebra, but its amazing how some of the basic stuff stays with you, and it is useful if your in the construction or electrician trade. I have dyscalculia and dysgraphia so math is not my strong point, I am still fascinated by higher math, even though I don't understand the formulas.

SIXLUCY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 3:04 pm

I suck at algebra too. What is it? Cant remember except learning basic algebra til it crossed with something else n it lost me.
I hated maths HEADACHE TORTURE n I remember skippin n class n wonderin round school to get out of it. I pretended I had to see the school dentist but the Teachers "not true" n I said "Well I thought I did" n I didnt get in trouble.
Didnt know how to tell the time til I was bout Grade 6. Didnt read a first book til Grade 6 n I still remember "Casey" it was a lil kids book but still I read it! Go Casey.. Love that book.
Never learnt the times tables but I can add n subtract. Not sure bout division n get so frustrated with stupid cooking measurements.